#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

21 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Wonder if anyone will take a chance on Odubajo from Hull. Been out for nearly 2 years, had multiple ops on his knee, but it seems he's back fit.

Terrific player and out of contract in summer.

He was a brilliant player before the injury yeah, didn't realise his contract was up.

The image of him gleefully celebrating with a "We are going up" banner at Wembley is still burned into my brain - would love him to replace it with some new, happier memories.

1 hour ago, BRADDO said:

We could maybe get a part exchange with Bannan or hooper who I'm sure Carlos will be looking at.

We’d be daft to let Bannan leave, should be building the squad around him. I’d be fairly happy with CB options of Lees, JvA, Venancio, Thorniley, Nielsen and Hutch, but if one more came in to go straight in the first XI it would relieve some of the pressure on the younger players and Hutch’s biscuit knees. Full backs have to be a priority if we’re sticking with three at the back though, then central midfield. 

3 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

We’d be daft to let Bannan leave, should be building the squad around him. I’d be fairly happy with CB options of Lees, JvA, Venancio, Thorniley, Nielsen and Hutch, but if one more came in to go straight in the first XI it would relieve some of the pressure on the younger players and Hutch’s biscuit knees. Full backs have to be a priority if we’re sticking with three at the back though, then central midfield. 

I agree. I want us to keep our very best players. It's just that with our FFP situation, I don't think we can.

4 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

I agree. I want us to keep our very best players. It's just that with our FFP situation, I don't think we can.

I shouldn’t worry too much about the FFP issue, the chairman has already said that we won’t sell any of our better players 

That’s one of the reasons for maintaining high ticket prices

8 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

It’s going to be an interesting summer, that’s for sure. Hopefully the situation isn’t so dire that we have to part with Bannan (or Lees). Sensible offers should be considered for anyone else though if it allows us to rebuild/not go bust. 

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I shouldn’t worry too much about the FFP issue, the chairman has already said that we won’t sell any of our better players 

That’s one of the reasons for maintaining high ticket prices

I know. However if that is the case we must surely be heading for an embargo.

On 01/02/2018 at 19:33, theowlsman said:

Conor Wickham. Done deal.

If it was the Connor Wickham from 3 years ago and it was just the fact he wasn’t getting in a PL team I’d snap your hand off. I think for a couple of years injuries have blighted him so I’d be wary now. Would be perfect to play up front on his own though which is what ideally I think Jos likes.

If Jos is looking for an athletic CB then Goldson from Brighton may be available? If it was a choice between taking him or a Venancio though I’d choose Venancio because he’s already settled and would be the cheaper option I’m sure.

1 hour ago, beswetherick said:

It’s going to be an interesting summer, that’s for sure. Hopefully the situation isn’t so dire that we have to part with Bannan (or Lees). Sensible offers should be considered for anyone else though if it allows us to rebuild/not go bust. 

You don't go bust with FFP,  it's a fine or transfer embargo... It's not bust!. Chansiri has the money but can't use it because of the rules. He owns the club, he's not bust = swfc likewise

Edited by owls-swfc

12 minutes ago, owls-swfc said:

You don't go bust with FFP,  it's a fine or transfer embargo... It's not bust!. Chansiri has the money but can't use it because of the rules. He owns the club, he's not bust = swfc likewise

But it's the club that gets the fine not DC, so I suppose in theory if the fine was big enough the club could go bust.

Very unlikely but I suppose it is possible.

1 hour ago, owls-swfc said:

What I dont get with FFP, is, adhere to it and you can't spend anything once you reach your limit, essentially a form of transfer embargo.

Or get a proper transfer embargo.

If DC is as minted as we think and he really ment the 'whatever it takes' statement, why don't he just splash the cash and laugh at FFP?

Genuine question, cos surely theres more to FFP than that?

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I reckon a loan for Bartley would probably be the only option if we were to proceed with that. Wluld allow Swansea to reassess if they go down to keep him.

Carlos owes us one IMO. Hope he feels generous and gives us McBurnie and Bartley on loan for the year.

More likely he'll rape us for our better players if Swansea stay up, unless he's trying to find some more Ayews :biggrin:

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

Are loans still allowed under ffp? Wonder if wickham would be available on loan given his promble with injury. 

Just what we need........... another injury prone player. 

3 hours ago, Plonk said:

Are loans still allowed under ffp? Wonder if wickham would be available on loan given his promble with injury. 

As I understand it loans are allowed under an embargo but there is a maximum wage level, £10k a week was quoted on here at one point.

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, mogbad said:

As I understand it loans are allowed under an embargo but there is a maximum wage level, £10k a week was quoted on here at one point.

And no loan fee permitted - which rules most decent loan players out. 

31 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

And no loan fee permitted - which rules most decent loan players out. 

Correct.

Am I right in thinking that if you sell a player during an embargo then you can spend the fee received on an incoming transfer or transfers as long as wages don't exceed what you were paying the outgoing player.

• Thanks 1

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, mogbad said:

Correct.

Am I right in thinking that if you sell a player during an embargo then you can spend the fee received on an incoming transfer or transfers as long as wages don't exceed what you were paying the outgoing player.

Not sure. Would need league approval. Might not get it.