#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

8 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Ok , thanks. A calculated gamble like Wolves would have been better.

Anyway, going forward, I would really love it if we could find another Brunt, Whelan , Madjic, etc. from EPL rejects.

I personally find this approach - with our kids - a much more wholesome approach.

If we could marry this with 2 real quality signings- Bristol's centre back for eg - would be great. 

That would be a fine way to go about things, the problem is unearthing the Brunts etc.

Think the kids will be used to backfill the position unless of course they really shine and I'm not convinced yet that anyone of them is out of the ordinary, but I hope to be wrong on that.

Two quality signing would really strengthen the present squad and a quality (who can pass) centre back would be an excellent start. 

1 minute ago, Watson said:

That would be a fine way to go about things, the problem is unearthing the Brunts etc.

Think the kids will be used to backfill the position unless of course they really shine and I'm not convinced yet that anyone of them is out of the ordinary, but I hope to be wrong on that.

Two quality signing would really strengthen the present squad and a quality (who can pass) centre back would be an excellent start. 

Van Aken can pass - it's his defending that (so far) has let him down. Bringing the ball out in a back 3 would probably be beneficial to him and us.

I disagree that we only need a couple of signings.

I think we need more than a couple plus a few gotten rid of? My thinking is we were short before Jos came in, injuries bit us hard, it will be interesting to see what Jos can do with a fitter and stronger squad but to play how he wants effectively we need more than a couple of signings? I would look into loaning quality young top flight players like Huddersfield did and scour the out of contract market like the likes of Cardiff? We don't need to break the bank but the squad clearly needs freshening up. Youth is the smartest and best way to go about it, along with no expectations or pressure, who knows what will happen this season but we should build upon the momentum and positivity Jos has brought back.

59 minutes ago, Watson said:

My DC?  The fans on OT were all for the signing of Rhodes most seemed to be very DC then.

If Wolves had not been promoted then their players would have gone down in value.   So I doubt that they would have made a 200% profit on them. 

For me, DC big mistake was gambling on promotion in two seasons and was prepared once promoted to sell the present squad off cheap or let them kick their heels around, to bring in better players for the Premier. 

I’ve been totally behind the owners and club but for me DC made 2 errors, one after season one and another after season two. After season one it was clear which positions we were lacking in but he allowed CC to swell positions already well covered in and those we were crying out for. Then after season two he made the error or renewing CCs contract. I said at the time that the signs were there and the football was a hard watch.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

You said that in that position the administrators would sell off club assets?!

Only if a club is in administration. No-one can make anyone sell anything unless they are being compelled by a court as they owe taxes or loan payment. 

26 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

I’ve been totally behind the owners and club but for me DC made 2 errors, one after season one and another after season two. After season one it was clear which positions we were lacking in but he allowed CC to swell positions already well covered in and those we were crying out for. Then after season two he made the error or renewing CCs contract. I said at the time that the signs were there and the football was a hard watch.

It was clear in your mind and maybe in others to but that doesn't make you right, all very subjective but that's the beauty of football we are all experts.

On 20/05/2018 at 10:38, gurujuan said:

After a disastrous recruitment campaign last time around, we need to excellent this summer Losing Hirst and Clare would not be a good start

I think you overestimate the impact of these two. Neither are experienced or good enough to step straight into a fully fit first 11. Players with potential leave clubs all the time anyone remember the meltdown on here when next big thing Hayden White left choosing to sign for Bolton? And where exactly is Hayden plying his trade? Currently at the mighty Mansfield his career has been a succession of loans at the likes of Bury and Blackpool. Huff said

9 minutes ago, BigOwl said:

I think you overestimate the impact of these two. Neither are experienced or good enough to step straight into a fully fit first 11. Players with potential leave clubs all the time anyone remember the meltdown on here when next big thing Hayden White left choosing to sign for Bolton? And where exactly is Hayden plying his trade? Currently at the mighty Mansfield his career has been a succession of loans at the likes of Bury and Blackpool. Huff said

Clare and Hirst have 10x the potential of Hayden White.

10 minutes ago, BigOwl said:

Good point.

7 minutes ago, Watson said:

How do you judge that?  At the time HW was been lauded as the next big thing.

Watched them both.

The youth side we have now is a lot better than what we had back then. White had a bit of pace and that's about it.

Clare has had two successful loan spells, put in a MOTM performance at Championship level and is just generally a better footballer than White will ever be. 

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Watched them both.

The youth side we have now is a lot better than what we had back then. White had a bit of pace and that's about it.

Clare has had two successful loan spells, put in a MOTM performance at Championship level and is just generally a better footballer than White will ever be. 

Hope our right, let's hope that they don't disappear in to obscurity.

1 minute ago, Watson said:

Hope our right, let's hope that they don't disappear in to obscurity.

You never know with football. But they are two players we should have tied down on the long term years ago. Hopefully the club has learnt it's lesson. 

The club was so focused on getting to the Premier League it neglected youth. We are seeing the fallout of that with Clare and Hirst. Two very talented footballers who could have gone for big money.

Unfortunately other clubs come sniffing and we didn't do enough to keep them here. What happens when you have good youngsters on the books. Call them greedy or whatever, they have no loyalty to the club and if they believe they can get a better deal elsewhere you can't fault them.

But in my opinion, the club needs to be proactive and let them realise that there is a route to the first team. There is now. Unfortunately it came too late for these two.

18 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

You never know with football. But they are two players we should have tied down on the long term years ago. Hopefully the club has learnt it's lesson. 

The club was so focused on getting to the Premier League it neglected youth. We are seeing the fallout of that with Clare and Hirst. Two very talented footballers who could have gone for big money.

Unfortunately other clubs come sniffing and we didn't do enough to keep them here. What happens when you have good youngsters on the books. Call them greedy or whatever, they have no loyalty to the club and if they believe they can get a better deal elsewhere you can't fault them.

But in my opinion, the club needs to be proactive and let them realise that there is a route to the first team. There is now. Unfortunately it came too late for these two.

Purely about money. Hirst seen some of his Man City / Chelsea team mates for England earning 20 or 30 times what he is on and he has thought I will have a bit of that. Clare has put in a couple of decent performances and would be after a better deal also..

We had offered them 20 grand a week deals both would have signed months ago. reality is it's more like 2 or 3 grand.

Can't blame them really thats moden day football nowadays. But i doubt we we be saying in the future about either of them what a great shame it was as I don't expect them to become real quality players at premier league level.

12 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Agree with most of what you say but if you were to tie down every talented player with good contracts then you are going to end up with players who don't live up to their early promise.   I'm sure OT would have plenty to say about that.

At this moment we don't know how good or bad the contracts are, so it's difficult to judge whether the players are justified in declining them.  But for me, they look after number one, as we all do regarding jobs if anyone was offered better terms for doing the same job they would jump at the chance.  If they have been offered a contract with a Premier club then whatever we offer we going to ultimately fail in attracting them.

Having said that I would hope that behind the scenes we are still being proactive and that deals can still be worked out.

This episode illustrates to me how difficult it is bringing youngsters to fruition, must be one of the most rewarding and also upsetting tasks of football management.