Matt Penney "My aim is to play for Sheffield Wednesday's first team"

Matt Penney Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

Owls youngster Matt Penney has joined Mansfield on loan until the end of the season.

The Wednesday academy product makes his move to the promotion-chasing League Two outfit ahead of their home clash with Barnet on Saturday.

Having risen up through the youth ranks at Hillsborough, Penney signed his maiden Owls professional contract in October 2015.

In January 2018, Penney extended with Wednesday until summer 2019.

The move to Field Mill represents the 19-year-old’s second loan switch away from the club, having gained valuable first team experience in 2016/17 with Bradford.

Since his return to Hillsborough, Penney has been a mainstay in Neil Thompson’s Owls Under-23 squad.

And upon signing his new deal with Wednesday, he told swfc.co.uk earlier this month:

“My biggest aim is to play for Sheffield Wednesday in the first team and with a big push and hard graft, that’s what I hope to achieve"

“First team football is the next big step for me. If that means going out on loan, then I have no problem with that.”

Owlstalk Shop

Watched this kid play many many times and he certainly has an eye for a pass.   I wondered if he would get some time under Jos early doors but clearly he thinks that Penney is just a little bit of a gamble still right now.   18 months from now, I think the gamble will be negligible.     I can see him moving further up the pitch as he matures also, however obviously that's down to people who know far more than I do. 

I am confident Penney will get his aim and play for Wednesday at Hillsborough in front of a big crowd.

Patience paid off for Mansfield Town with the loan signing of hot Sheffield Wednesday prospect Matt Penney ahead of other bigger chasing clubs. And Stags boss Steve Evans said several Wednesday stars had already told him the 19-year-old’s arrival at the One Call Stadium could yet prove to be the signing of the window.

“The boy has got everything. I don’t think there is any doubt that had Carlos Carvalho stayed at Sheffield Wednesday, this kid would have already been in the first team,” said Evans. “When the news broke last night that we’d signed him, I got texts from experienced Sheffield Wednesday first teamers that I know personally, saying to me that this could be the signing of the transfer window. “It was a big statement for them to make – but each one of them said it separately. “It shows we have an exciting talent. He is 19 years old and I’ve told him he has to come here and work so hard and then go back to Hillsborough in the summer saying he is ready for Championship football. “But you have to do it very, very well at this level to be ready for Championship football.” Penney is likely to be used as a winger, but is very versatile. “He is very comfortable as an attacking full back but he is more comfortable as an attacking wide midfield player on either side,” said Evans. “People only have to look at YouTube to see an array of goals from this young man. “I am not sending this kid up to be anything he’s not. He is a young man with a real chance.

“We have given him his first chance to play at first team level – and we’ve had to beat some other clubs to get him here. “Locality plays a part and we know the people that look after Matt very well. We also know the Sheffield Wednesday staff really well.” Evans said Mansfield had stayed patient and persistent in their pursuit of the youngster and paid tribute to club CEO Carolyn Radford for achieving his signature. “Matt is a kid we have been talking to Sheffield Wednesday about for two and a half weeks on an almost daily basis,” he said. “To be fair to Carolyn Radford she has had the patience of a saint to get this over the line. She is Saint Carolyn today! “Thankfully the chief executive at Wednesday, who is a fantastic professional, and Carolyn, who is the same, got it done. 

1 minute ago, Walt said:

Patience paid off for Mansfield Town with the loan signing of hot Sheffield Wednesday prospect Matt Penney ahead of other bigger chasing clubs. And Stags boss Steve Evans said several Wednesday stars had already told him the 19-year-old’s arrival at the One Call Stadium could yet prove to be the signing of the window.

The boy has got everything. I don’t think there is any doubt that had Carlos Carvalho stayed at Sheffield Wednesday, this kid would have already been in the first team,” said Evans. “When the news broke last night that we’d signed him, I got texts from experienced Sheffield Wednesday first teamers that I know personally, saying to me that this could be the signing of the transfer window. “It was a big statement for them to make – but each one of them said it separately. “It shows we have an exciting talent. He is 19 years old and I’ve told him he has to come here and work so hard and then go back to Hillsborough in the summer saying he is ready for Championship football. “But you have to do it very, very well at this level to be ready for Championship football.” Penney is likely to be used as a winger, but is very versatile. “He is very comfortable as an attacking full back but he is more comfortable as an attacking wide midfield player on either side,” said Evans. “People only have to look at YouTube to see an array of goals from this young man. “I am not sending this kid up to be anything he’s not. He is a young man with a real chance.

“We have given him his first chance to play at first team level – and we’ve had to beat some other clubs to get him here. “Locality plays a part and we know the people that look after Matt very well. We also know the Sheffield Wednesday staff really well.” Evans said Mansfield had stayed patient and persistent in their pursuit of the youngster and paid tribute to club CEO Carolyn Radford for achieving his signature. “Matt is a kid we have been talking to Sheffield Wednesday about for two and a half weeks on an almost daily basis,” he said. “To be fair to Carolyn Radford she has had the patience of a saint to get this over the line. She is Saint Carolyn today! “Thankfully the chief executive at Wednesday, who is a fantastic professional, and Carolyn, who is the same, got it done. 

YEAH GOOD ONE STEVE.

2 minutes ago, Walt said:

“The boy has got everything. I don’t think there is any doubt that had Carlos Carvalho stayed at Sheffield Wednesday, this kid would have already been in the first team,” said Evans. “When the news broke last night that we’d signed him, I got texts from experienced Sheffield Wednesday first teamers that I know personally, saying to me that this could be the signing of the transfer window. “It was a big statement for them to make – but each one of them said it separately. “It shows we have an exciting talent. He is 19 years old and I’ve told him he has to come here and work so hard and then go back to Hillsborough in the summer saying he is ready for Championship football. “But you have to do it very, very well at this level to be ready for Championship football.” Penney is likely to be used as a winger, but is very versatile. “He is very comfortable as an attacking full back but he is more comfortable as an attacking wide midfield player on either side,” said Evans. “People only have to look at YouTube to see an array of goals from this young man. “I am not sending this kid up to be anything he’s not. He is a young man with a real chance.

Steve Evans talking poop again. He would get nowhere the 1st team if CC was still here.