Players should hang their heads in shame!

We have gone an entire calendar month without scoring a league goal. Absolutely pathetic if you think about it. Yes last night's point at Middlesbrough and arguably the point at Brammall Lane were good points, but the fact we didn't score in either of them, let alone manage a goal against Burton or Cardiff is frankly pathetic. With the amount of strikers we have, even in the current injury crisis, the strikers we have must have a combined transfer total of about £20million. The fact that not one of them could manage a goal all month is embarassing to the club. We must go and score at least on Saturday. The defence has done it's part (except Burton, which I will excuse as it wasn't under Luhukay) but our attack is so painful to watch. Rhodes, Joao, Matias and Nuhiu should be able to manage 1 goal per month between them, come on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, wawawuto said:

We have gone an entire calendar month without scoring a league goal. Absolutely pathetic if you think about it. Yes last night's point at Middlesbrough and arguably the point at Brammall Lane were good points, but the fact we didn't score in either of them, let alone manage a goal against Burton or Cardiff is frankly pathetic. With the amount of strikers we have, even in the current injury crisis, the strikers we have must have a combined transfer total of about £20million. The fact that not one of them could manage a goal all month is embarassing to the club. We must go and score at least on Saturday. The defence has done it's part (except Burton, which I will excuse as it wasn't under Luhukay) but our attack is so painful to watch. Rhodes, Joao, Matias and Nuhiu should be able to manage 1 goal per month between them, come on. 

Bit harsh on Mattias and Nuhiu, they can only score if they are on the pitch

It's far from ideal, but apart from the Burton shocker we haven't played badly. The goals may not have come, but being unbeaten in the 3 league games against opponents who are all in the hunt for promotion (2 of the game being away from home) isn't a disaster.

Just now, NYowl said:

Bit harsh on Mattias and Nuhiu, they can only score if they are on the pitch

Yes, you are right, and I do feel they should both be ahead of Rhodes at the moment however my point was that these are players we have available and we still cannot score, not a dig at either of them

2 minutes ago, alanharper said:

It's far from ideal, but apart from the Burton shocker we haven't played badly. The goals may not have come, but being unbeaten in the 3 league games against opponents who are all in the hunt for promotion (2 of the game being away from home) isn't a disaster.

Not a disaster, just embarrassing that we cannot score a goal with the amount our strikers have cost, even the ones we have available at the moment

Our two best attackers are long term injured ( Hooper and Fessi ) ,so what do you expect. Dave ,Matais and Joao have done ok to fill the void, but none of them are going to score on a regular basis . The only big disappointment is Rhodes, who really should be relishing the chance of leading the line .

5 minutes ago, wawawuto said:

Your not wrong but you will get the usual lot giving excuses for it.

We weren't scoring many when we had everyone fit ( barring FF) , we really have missed his workrate in winning us the ball back and his assists and goals and haven't replaced him since his injury in August , shocking management by CC and DC back then , doesn't look like he'll be fit until March so it's a must we get a forward and winger  in today , if we don't , we will struggle to score the goals to get us up the league 

2 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Our two best attackers are long term injured ( Hooper and Fessi ) ,so what do you expect. Dave ,Matais and Joao have done ok to fill the void, but none of them are going to score on a regular basis . The only big disappointment is Rhodes, who really should be relishing the chance of leading the line .

Yes I do agree that without them 2 we wont be scoring tons. However we have not scored 1. Between the 4 of them that should not be too big of ask surely. And I totally agree about Rhodes, Nuhiu ahead of him for me

It is quite a shocking statistic and had this happened under the previous management then there would be calls for a lynching on here.

As Jos is a new manager I will not be critical as he looks to be building from the back to front which given our position I can understand. I am sure the goals will come 

Edited by mrrodge

We were leaking goals and looking bereft of confidence with CC, the new guy has to assess the players he has at his disposal and stop us conceding which he's done, this will breed confidence to push on as we get players returning.

I hope. :luhukay:

It needs to be looked at in context. In a "normal" season, a month without a goal would be pathetic. Just like November's five efforts on target was pathetic. But Burton was the last game of the previous regime, since then we've changed the emphasis. We had to address the defence. We've done it. We've done it in difficult matches. It's disappointing that whilst shoring up the defence we haven't scored, but it's not pathetic, nor embarrassing.

What would have been pathetic is if JL focused on the attack and we followed up the Burton debacle with a goal a game but three 3-1 defeats. 

15 minutes ago, wawawuto said:

3 of the games in this ‘calendar month’ that you’re dramatically highlighting happen to have been FA cup matches rendering it pretty much impossible to score a league goal but don’t let that get in the way of your ‘look at me’ Daily Star type ‘Hang Your Head In Shame’ post lol

• Haha 1

Look we have sorted the issue of shooting toward the goal something under Carlos that was apparently banned, so the goals will come.  

I just hope it is before the teams below us get on a run or we could be sucked into a relegation fight lets hop for a positive result against Birmingham on Saturday and pulling further away from the bottom 3

18 minutes ago, wawawuto said:

Yes, you are right, and I do feel they should both be ahead of Rhodes at the moment however my point was that these are players we have available and we still cannot score, not a dig at either of them

Might have something to do with the team focussing on defending, keeping a clean sheet, bonding as a team, and avoiding relegation possibilities whilst also accommodating new players, helping the younger players come in and do a job, having a new manager, with new techniques, strategies and ways of playing whilst remaining safe in the Championship at all costs.

All whilst progressing nicely through the FA Cup rounds

Owlstalk Shop

Scoring ten goals and collecting no points would be more pathetic and have us closer to the bottom three.

New manager, new system, new application from players.

Started building a side from the foundations by making it difficult to beat, build confidence by being unbeaten. That's the easier part now to focus on being more creative but that demands players that are capable of being creative and clinical in this league and most of ours that fit the description are injured. 

Calm down and be realistic.

Edited by Day before Thursday

The problem we have is if we throw bodies forward we aren’t good enough to keep clean sheets. So let’s say we concede 1 goal every game, have we got the attacking quality to score 2 to win a game? I don’t think we do so for me Joe has it spot on. 

He has us fighting for the first time in over a year which gives us a strong base to build from. When the injured players start returning we will start to look a different team. 

Look at the amount on times last night we had the chance to break at them but just didn’t have the players to do it. We need pace and quick (pardon the pun). 

The only time we were in trouble last night is when we committed players forward, our attack slowed down then someone would play a poo pass and they broke at us. 

We just don’t have the players to play attacking football at present. Surely you’d rather us defend for a point rather than go for it and get mullered.