Signing 'opportunities'

Some of you football fans reading this out there may be aware that Tottenham today have signed a player by the name of Lucas Moura from PSG. 

Moura, now 25, was once titled the 'next Messi' and was compared in stature (in some situations even better) to Neymar.

In the announcement of his arrival today, Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino titled his signing an 'opportunity'

Now any moderators reading this topic by now are probably preparing to move it to the non-swfc section, but bear with me.... 

By 'opportunity' - Pochettino was referring to Moura as a very good player currently out of favour. A bargain in this current climate at £25m (the same day Mahrez is being touted for £50m+....)

This is what Wednesday need to stick to looking to do. We saw some elements of it under Carlos; signing Barry Bannan on a free transfer; Forestieri for £3m; Almen Abdi for £3m etc... and it is a policy we need to stick with in my opinion. 

The transfer market at the moment is going crazy. Gary Madine is being sold for SIX MILLION POUNDS. That's almost the price we paid for Jordan Rhodes who is twice the player. 

Whilst a lot of our fans seem a little disappointed with our transfer dealings - I for one am delighted. We arent forcing it, trying to make statement signings and ripping the squad up. 

There's no question our squad needs a refresh - but to refresh it correctly it needs the right players. 

Out of favour players; players who's contracts are running down; just returning from injury; loans... There's a lot of opportunity out there - and I shudder to see the day when Wednesday compete with this crazy Championship market. 

If we are capable of replicating Tottenhams world class set up under Jos then i for one will be delighted. Clever thinking goes a long way in life, and this is most certainly true for football. 

Build youth, sign the right players and don't aim to be the biggest spenders. Jos is setting the right tone, the right agenda, from the get-go - something which vanished under Carlos.

10 minutes ago, MOwl said:

The transfer market at the moment is going crazy. Gary Madine is being sold for SIX MILLION POUNDS. That's almost the price we paid for Jordan Rhodes who is twice the player. 

You are quite deluded, Madine has 10 goals, Rhodes has 4. By my maths that means Madine has more than TWICE the goals than Rhodes. Not too sure how this makes Rhodes TWICE the player, but each to their own

• Haha 1

Guest Copthorneowl
16 minutes ago, MOwl said:

It was a long and decent thought out post mate but you'll probably need a tin hat for the bit about Rhodes who polarises opinion on here. 

8 minutes ago, wawawuto said:

You are quite deluded, Madine has 10 goals, Rhodes has 4. By my maths that means Madine has more than TWICE the goals than Rhodes. Not too sure how this makes Rhodes TWICE the player, but each to their own

Think MOwl was on about his career not this season, Rhodes will come good by the way and Madine is bang average, never worth £6M IMHO..

31 minutes ago, MOwl said:

Some of you football fans reading this out there may be aware that Tottenham today have signed a player by the name of Lucas Moura from PSG. 

Moura, now 25, was once titled the 'next Messi' and was compared in stature (in some situations even better) to Neymar.

In the announcement of his arrival today, Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino titled his signing an 'opportunity'

Now any moderators reading this topic by now are probably preparing to move it to the non-swfc section, but bear with me.... 

By 'opportunity' - Pochettino was referring to Moura as a very good player currently out of favour. A bargain in this current climate at £25m (the same day Mahrez is being touted for £50m+....)

This is what Wednesday need to stick to looking to do. We saw some elements of it under Carlos; signing Barry Bannan on a free transfer; Forestieri for £3m; Almen Abdi for £3m etc... and it is a policy we need to stick with in my opinion. 

Whilst a lot of our fans seem a little disappointed with our transfer dealings - I for one am delighted. We arent forcing it, trying to make statement signings and ripping the squad up. 

There's no question our squad needs a refresh - but to refresh it correctly it needs the right players. 

Out of favour players; players who's contracts are running down; just returning from injury; loans... There's a lot of opportunity out there - and I shudder to see the day when Wednesday compete with this crazy Championship market. 

If we are capable of replicating Tottenhams world class set up under Jos then i for one will be delighted. Clever thinking goes a long way in life, and this is most certainly true for football. 

Build youth, sign the right players and don't aim to be the biggest spenders. Jos is setting the right tone, the right agenda, from the get-go - something which vanished under Carlos.

Moura is an out of favour player in a squad full of international stars he is being kept out of the team by the most expensive players in the world to date.

I understand what you are saying but using a very bad example. The first season of Carlos the team was built for him by others, as a manager with no experience on these shores going to watch Crystal palace reserves to sign Barry Bannan does not seem likely, more likely it would have been our consultant with 20+ years of playing and managing in London Glenn Roeder, Similar with Fessi, Hunt and so on. 

Carlos signing on cheap after roeder and pearson had left consisted of Sougo, Lopez, Sasso, Lachman, Emanuelson - for a manager well traveled he did not seem to have many contact or scouts that had a club.

Our club has lost it way and not given our our good young players a chance instead spending too much on over the hill one last pay day players such as Abdi, Fletcher, Jones, Rhodes - the only shining light of the last 4 transfer windows would probably be Reach and at £5m he was over priced.

For me we should be looking to this country for player in the league below playing above the level they are at or young players coming through not quite making the grade at Premier league clubs that we can develop into better players such as Brunt and Whelan in days gone by.

take out the comparison of Rhodes and Madine and I agree with the rest. We need to be patient and play the market. We do need to move players out though to open up some wages. If we can move some today (Nuhiu, Rhodes) today then that would be good. But It might all happen with more time in the summer.

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

For me we should be looking to this country for player in the league below playing above the level they are at or young players coming through not quite making the grade at Premier league clubs that we can develop into better players such as Brunt and Whelan in days gone by.

So more like the Sheffield United method than the Tottenham one? 

Difficult to disagree, the talent is there because other clubs are finding it, hopefully we can too. 

37 minutes ago, wawawuto said:

Madine has practically played every game for Bolton this season whereas Rhodes has had a bit part season.

Dont let facts get int the way of a good Rhodes bashing.

Oh, and Gary Madine is absolutely pony

Just now, Lee A said:

So more like the Sheffield United method than the Tottenham one? 

Difficult to disagree, the talent is there because other clubs are finding it, hopefully we can too. 

FFP is hitting now and will only get worse for the next few season and we need to move forward as a club.

I read that Clare has been allowed to get into the last 6 months of his contract I do hope this is not the case.

Stats

Rhodes was a 1 in 2 striker at Hudds and Blackburn.

Last 2.5 seasons he is 15 goals in 70 games. 

Eyes

Hes got one apparent talent. Goalscoring.

Conclusion

Hes probably 'gone' as a goalscorer and even if he hasn't it's not worth playing him to find out.

9 hours ago, MOwl said:

you think Rhodes is twice the player? better check the scoring table for this division

How as this turned into an anti-Rhodes thread? I think there are more than enough anti-Rhodes threads on here. I'm not defending him, not attacking him. But really, if you were suffering from low esteem and confidence at work, would you better respond to being told your sh*te, or being given a bit of support.

Yeah, I know we are not the Priory. But we don't have to bully and ridicule players in every thread either.