Jos "We were solid"

Jos Luhukay Sheffield Wednesday.jpeg

Jos Luhukay was pleased with another clean sheet and a point at play-off chasing Middlesbrough at the Riverside on Tuesday.

A game of few talking points saw the Owls maintain their run of resistance under the new manager, who said: “I think we have to be happy with the draw in this game. Middlesbrough started the game well down the left hand side with the pace of Traore but we made that situation better.

“We did not have a lot of chances for ourselves but we were solid and did limit Middlesbrough to few chances.

“We have another point, another clean sheet so we continue to build in the right direction.”

Luhukay handed the captain’s armband to Adam Reach on the former Boro man’s return to Teesside in the absence of Glenn Loovens, who was rested for the game.

And he explained: “I know Adam is a young guy but a good guy and a very good player.

“The players respect Adam so I had no problem in making him the captain for the game tonight.

“He used to play for Middlesbrough and I know he was thought of highly so I also thought it was a respectful thing to do.”

Owlstalk Shop

Encouraging signs at this stage. Being hard to beat will always leave you with a chance of getting something.  Once our injured players begin to return hopefully or  potency up front will improve. Being solid at the back and a danger up front is a good combination to have.

I'll definitely take three draws from those three fixtures given how the season has gone so far. Ifs and buts but if Joao puts his header against Cardiff anywhere other than straight at the keeper we're talking a very respectable 5 points from three tough games. It's very fine margins (likewise you could say for chances against us). Jos is doing and saying everything right so far, I'm impressed.

34 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Can't argue with any of that.

good result from an away game against a pulis side that a month ago could have been 3-0 or worse. can't believe on other threads the natives are getting restless over half a team away at high flying 'boro' getting a point, that's 'some' wednesday fans for you though. 

20 minutes ago, itsonmyhead said:

People need to remember the game at Hillsborough where we got dismantled, this is a massive step up from carlos’s Post match speech where he focused on their superiority. Jos is doing a top job, and as players return we will get better and better

HEAR.HEAR.

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's very early days

I'm elated with the new manager so far if I'm honest. 

If we just get nil nil draws till the end of the season and avoid relegation then that would be fine for me as a basic requirement

once we have forwards and attacking midfielders back and fit in numbers, we may concentrate less on defence, we may conceded more, but we will score more, and win more.

if you inherit a boat with a leak, the first thing you do is mend the leak, not have a party on board.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Like to see matias in current cup form integrated into the match day 11, as he's maybe capable of creating some chances for either himself or others, something  Rhodes and Dave don't really give you and Joao half the time dosent know what he himself is going to do, let alone any one around him. 

agree with only those 3 to compete against, and on present form mm ought to be in with a chance, IF he can't get in this side on merit, it doesn't bode well for him when all are fit.

34 minutes ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

Agreed. 

But we really should make more of our set pieces. Some of our corners and free kicks are dire

Solid at the back is great but we've got to start pinching a few goals. 

You are right. It really irritates me when a highly paid professional footballer can't get the ball past the first defender particularly when its obvious that his team-mates are expecting a far post delivery. Wallace take note.....

36 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

You are right. It really irritates me when a highly paid professional footballer can't get the ball past the first defender particularly when its obvious that his team-mates are expecting a far post delivery. Wallace take note.....

damn right

we haven'y been able to take a decent corner since nigel worthington hung up his boots!!!

We knew what Jos would do when he came in. His success is built on a solid defence . I think he has dont a fantastic job so far especially considering his three centre halves consist of a left back , a young academy player ,and a player who has been sat in the stands all season under Carlos. Remarkable.