Rhodes

36 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

Why should Sunderland pay you a loan fee 

Because it's normal practice when a player with a high transfer value is loaned out.  Reading paid Watford £2m to loan Vydra for the season a couple of years ago, on top of his wages.

The fee we paid for Rhodes is spread out over the length of his contract there fore selling him won't help with FFP unless we get a substantial figure which covers the proportion of the fee remaining;

If we paid £10m and there is 2.5 years left of a 3.5 year contract means approx £7 million? We wouldn't get much more than £3m would we.

A loan deal would help though because we wouldn't be paying his wages. And I agree a loan fee should be applicable.

If we keep him we have to play him and hope he rediscovers his previous form with Huddersfield and Blackburn. 

3 minutes ago, Day before Thursday said:

The fee we paid for Rhodes is spread out over the length of his contract there fore selling him won't help with FFP unless we get a substantial figure which covers the proportion of the fee remaining;

If we paid £10m and there is 2.5 years left of a 3.5 year contract means approx £7 million? We wouldn't get much more than £3m would we.

A loan deal would help though because we wouldn't be paying his wages. And I agree a loan fee should be applicable.

If we keep him we have to play him and hope he rediscovers his previous form with Huddersfield and Blackburn. 

Let him go out on an 18 month loan, and agree a fee with Sunderland for when they get back in the championship

If I remember correctly, it was on here for a full transfer session, and before, that we must buy that striker from Middlesbrough, but up to the end of the session, he was proving unavailable. With time running out, the Manager pulled off what many considered a first class swoop an bought a forward from neighbours Barnsley, a young man who had been scoring goals apparently at will to replace the aforementioned striker. This was thought at the time to be a fantastic piece of business. Suddenly, the original striker is made available, and is duly bought.

For some reason, neither continued with their scoring, but this had nothing to do with how they were being used, so the OT word became 'get rid'.

What's different about playing for Wdnesday. Are we the only club that could make someone like Messi into a has-been?  

I think Rhodes is a good player, he has proved that over many years and one of a number of players destroyed by Carlos in his time here. I have been a huge advocate of his and still think he can be good for us, it's not like we create a hat full of chances, as a team we probably create half 4 or 5 a game, although I do appreciate he should have scored more with the type of chances he has had recently.

Currently, we have not scored a league goal this calendar year, so unless we have other options in terms of players incoming or returning players (can they be relied on to stay injury free until the end of the season?), don't see how letting him leave would be a good decision. It isn't going to solve the FFP issue and in reality Sunderland are a relegation rival.

I would much rather persevere with Rhodes that see more 5-4-1 line ups for the remainder of the season.

5 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

If I remember correctly, it was on here for a full transfer session, and before, that we must buy that striker from Middlesbrough, but up to the end of the session, he was proving unavailable. With time running out, the Manager pulled off what many considered a first class swoop an bought a forward from neighbours Barnsley, a young man who had been scoring goals apparently at will to replace the aforementioned striker. This was thought at the time to be a fantastic piece of business. Suddenly, the original striker is made available, and is duly bought.

For some reason, neither continued with their scoring, but this had nothing to do with how they were being used, so the OT word became 'get rid'.

What's different about playing for Wdnesday. Are we the only club that could make someone like Messi into a has-been?  

Yes, it was called Carlos Carvalhal. Poor conditioning, baffling tactics, failure to use the squad to give players a run of games (other than favourites, who he ran into the ground), unnecessary public comments about players. 

Sunderland got £90m for finishing last last season, they have £40m+ of parachute payments and got £30m for the sale of their goal keeper - yet they are trying to get everyone in on frees or loans and presumably if they got Rhodes they wouldn't be paying his full £40k a week salary.

If any football club every needed investigating for doggy dealing Sunderland is the one, how can they have no money when clearly in the last 18 months they have got well over £160m in TV money and transfers.

Today any players from our first team squad should only go to teams for fees or if we have lined up replacements. 

If anyone came in for Rhodes i can see it being Huddersfield they have the money and need goals a return to his old stomping ground might be just what he needs and we recoup the £8m he has cost us and get his £40k a weeks salary of the books

30 minutes ago, striker said:

I think Rhodes is a good player, he has proved that over many years and one of a number of players destroyed by Carlos in his time here. I have been a huge advocate of his and still think he can be good for us, it's not like we create a hat full of chances, as a team we probably create half 4 or 5 a game, although I do appreciate he should have scored more with the type of chances he has had recently.

Currently, we have not scored a league goal this calendar year, so unless we have other options in terms of players incoming or returning players (can they be relied on to stay injury free until the end of the season?), don't see how letting him leave would be a good decision. It isn't going to solve the FFP issue and in reality Sunderland are a relegation rival.

I would much rather persevere with Rhodes that see more 5-4-1 line ups for the remainder of the season.

My opinion at the time, and it hasn’t changed since then, was that none of our signings in that January window, Fox, Winnall and Rhodes, were good enough

For the sake of Rhodes and us, he needs to be somewhere else by tomorrow morning.

And for gods sake, can we stop making excuses for him . He's not ' going to come good'  and he doesn't ' just need a run of games' .

It isn't going to happen for him here. He's not mentally or physically up for it.

32 minutes ago, striker said:

I told myself I would stay out of any Rhodes debate. But it is this mentally that I find hard to disagree with. The claim is Carlos destroyed him by not playing to his strengths. That’s not true check his stats for the last 4 seasons only it’s obviously a story of decline. Even if it was true where’s his personal pride, putting a shift in in the hope things will go his way, not seen it. Then Carlos goes and the three players that are most likely to stop him starting are injured. Surely time to work your socks off and cement your place in the team. One month later and three more players deserve to start before him. So now in reality he’s seventh choice. Think it’s smell the coffee time.