TINKERBELL

Wembley semi-finals

Yes, I think only the final should be played at Wembley. 

Loved our visits to Highbury and Villa Park when I was a kid (even though we lost) both were very special occasions with the anticipation that you were just 90 minutes away from a hard earned visit to Wembley for the FA Cup final.

Back then the FA Cup was huge, even the early rounds often had larger crowds than League matches and once any team reached even the 5th round their fans got the Cup bug.

As for the FA Cup final itself, unless it was World Cup year it was THE Biggest sporting event of the year, (yes bigger than the European Cup Final) with both terrestrial channels giving up nearly all day to the event, it was an occasion and not just a match, even non football fans wanted to watch it and knew who had won the Cup,

Contrast this with the FA Cup Final 2012 played straight after our Promotion and therefore becoming a second thought, (Thankfully too busy celebrating, would have loved to have seen dem Blades watching the Cup Final whilst wallowing in despair)  that should never have happened, it should always be the Saturday after the season has finished at 3pm.

No penalties ever, just replays until a result is produced, (remember the excitement of our epic Cup duels with both Arsenal (5 matches) and Everton (4 matches) 

I also wouldn't play Playoff finals at Wembley either (maybe Millennium) I think it just diminishes the pull that Wembley used to have, with everybody and his dog going to watch their club there in various different matches.

To me it should be just England matches, FA Cup Final, League Cup Final,  FA vase final and whatever the Final for 3rd and 4th tier clubs is now called. 

Maybe it's me being nostalgic or I'm  a dinosaur but it just anywhere near as good as it used to be. 

Ps Give me a Semi Final at Wembley this season and I would ****** your hand off! 

That doesn't mean I think we have earned the right to play there though like you used to.

Rant over.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, TINKERBELL said:

Can you imagine if just if a team like Newport won it and Chelsea finish 4th 

The out roar would be epic and so funny 

Do you mean outcry or uproar?

• Haha 2

I agree that having the semis there takes the gloss off the cup - it was a proper dream as a kid to play there in the final.  Everyone seems to play / have played there nowadays.

I also think the FA screwed up massively when they re-built / re-designed it not to have the changing rooms at a 'tunnel end'.  The long walk to the centre circle just added to the occasion and history of the place - that's all lost now.  I'd even go as far to say that they should've kept the old style nets too - they were iconic too!!  I'm not against change but think they really lost some history when they changed those things......it's those that make a place.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, podski1 said:

I agree that having the semis there takes the gloss off the cup - it was a proper dream as a kid to play there in the final.  Everyone seems to play / have played there nowadays.

I also think the FA screwed up massively when they re-built / re-designed it not to have the changing rooms at a 'tunnel end'.  The long walk to the centre circle just added to the occasion and history of the place - that's all lost now.  I'd even go as far to say that they should've kept the old style nets too - they were iconic too!!  I'm not against change but think they really lost some history when they changed those things......it's those that make a place.

Yep and the twin towers.

3 hours ago, TINKERBELL said:

Sorry but don't agree as Newport are there because Tottenham have loaned it for a year. Don't get me wrong it will be great for them and hope they have a good day. Tottenham could have planned the new stadium better and not used Wembley. Arsenal did it.

Arsenal moved ground. Spurs is being rebuilt on the old site isn't it?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Watto said:

Or Cardiff Swansea and Newport playing their football in the English league and cups 

And Wrexham

22 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Yep and the twin towers.

Wasn't it ISIS that took them down, not the FA?

Just now, Brommers said:

Al-Qaeda

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brommers said:

Lol, ISIS weren't around then, it was Al Queda if I recall correctly.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Yes, I think only the final should be played at Wembley. 

Loved our visits to Highbury and Villa Park when I was a kid (even though we lost) both were very special occasions with the anticipation that you were just 90 minutes away from a hard earned visit to Wembley for the FA Cup final.

Back then the FA Cup was huge, even the early rounds often had larger crowds than League matches and once any team reached even the 5th round their fans got the Cup bug.

As for the FA Cup final itself, unless it was World Cup year it was THE Biggest sporting event of the year, (yes bigger than the European Cup Final) with both terrestrial channels giving up nearly all day to the event, it was an occasion and not just a match, even non football fans wanted to watch it and knew who had won the Cup,

Contrast this with the FA Cup Final 2012 played straight after our Promotion and therefore becoming a second thought, (Thankfully too busy celebrating, would have loved to have seen dem Blades watching the Cup Final whilst wallowing in despair)  that should never have happened, it should always be the Saturday after the season has finished at 3pm.

No penalties ever, just replays until a result is produced, (remember the excitement of our epic Cup duels with both Arsenal (5 matches) and Everton (4 matches) 

I also wouldn't play Playoff finals at Wembley either (maybe Millennium) I think it just diminishes the pull that Wembley used to have, with everybody and his dog going to watch their club there in various different matches.

To me it should be just England matches, FA Cup Final, League Cup Final,  FA vase final and whatever the Final for 3rd and 4th tier clubs is now called. 

Maybe it's me being nostalgic or I'm  a dinosaur but it just anywhere near as good as it used to be. 

Ps Give me a Semi Final at Wembley this season and I would ****** your hand off! 

That doesn't mean I think we have earned the right to play there though like you used to.

Rant over.

Think the whole cup final day thing is lost forever.  Bug the main reason it was so popular was due to it being the only live match on tv of the season. Now there's a game on every day. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, OWL1969 said:

Couldn't spell that so went for ISIS lol

• Haha 1

Surely if spurs reach the semis/final this year the game shouldn't be held there? It negates the neutral venue then doesn't it.

Of course it does, it massively de values the Wembley factor for the final. For me I'd love to see them taken back around the country. Similar to the England games it's become a thing for the south.

4 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Of course it does, it massively de values the Wembley factor for the final. For me I'd love to see them taken back around the country. Similar to the England games it's become a thing for the south.

What would you do with Wembley stadium the rest of the year? 

6 hours ago, Brommers said:

Well you've opened a conspiracy theory can of worms haven't you.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Brommers said:

Couldn't spell that so went for ISIS lol

Neither could he!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

Are you ITK?lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Surely if spurs reach the semis/final this year the game shouldn't be held there? It negates the neutral venue then doesn't it.

If we got to meet them in the semi we would sadly but virtually certainly lose even if it was played at middlewood Road so we might as well have a good day out and some memories. lol

it’s all about the money. 

Same as Play Offs. 

Should be top 3 & Bottom 3 move leagues really, the playoffs are just another way to milk money from fans. 

Not that I’m moaning, I enjoyed 50% of the playoffs we’ve been in with Carlos

lol 

but if fans from the north reach the semis & final that’s a lot of money paid out for tickets, fuel, time etc etc. 

Should go back to neutral grounds really to make it fair on all