VAR - keep out the nerds.

20 minutes ago, MalagaOwl said:

Gonna play devil's advocate for a minute.

It really works in rugby. Yeah it takes away some(and only some) of the instant celebrations, the tension it can add more than makes up for it.

Imagine, for half a sec.

World cup final, last minute. 1-0 up. Defending a lead, totally under the cosh. Ball pings into a packed box. Goes through the crowd, back of the net. Appeals for handball. Nobody had a clear view. Goes to video ref. for 30 seconds the word watches as the video is played forwards and backwards, slowly and fast, as many different angles as they have it. we think it's a handball, but not sure, yet, yet. there there, there it is. The video umpire gives the signal and millions of people exhale. 

that'd be alright

And the fans at the ground and the managers and coaches are scratching their heads asking what the f**ks going on.

Refs need to be wired up and to explain to all (fans included) what's happening, and replay screens are needed in all grounds where VAR is used. That's how it works in rugby (I think).

2 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

But there is something you can do.

Presumably you want the correct decision as often as possible.

So the linesman doesn't flag, the ref doesn't blow, and we play on until the ball clearly goes out of play. Then you review possible offsides or fouls. You go like American football where the refs "throw the flag" but play continues, then they review the incident. Football isn't the same, but the result will be refs and linos letting play continue, because it's easier to backtrack from a mistake than to roll forward from one.

That’s how you see VAR working, that’s fine, I don’t feel the game can implement VAR in the way you’re describing because it will change the whole dynamic of how the game is played.

If the the whistle blows in the scenario you described that’s absolutely fine, the game stops and is restarted with a free kick for offside. We’re no worse off than we are now. What’s the issue?

Yes it would be great to be able to get everything right but, it’s never going to happen, regardless of what technology is used. If it does happen, the game will no longer be the same, it will have a complete revamp with new rules for various situations, losing its heritage.

My my idea regarding VAR is to eliminate the plain obvious errors. The howlers, the game changing decisions which may or may not be correct. It’s not a perfect fix but, it has structure and, is easy to implement within the current rule set.

Ruins the flow and atmosphere of every game.

VAR means that you can’t even celebrate a goal anymore.  And if this comes in, we are going to see more players surrounding the refs several times a game, putting pressure on to have decisions “reviewed”.

Its total böllocks and needs stamping out before it ruins the game I love.

11 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

That’s how you see VAR working, that’s fine, I don’t feel the game can implement VAR in the way you’re describing because it will change the whole dynamic of how the game is played.

If the the whistle blows in the scenario you described that’s absolutely fine, the game stops and is restarted with a free kick for offside. We’re no worse off than we are now. What’s the issue?

Yes it would be great to be able to get everything right but, it’s never going to happen, regardless of what technology is used. If it does happen, the game will no longer be the same, it will have a complete revamp with new rules for various situations, losing its heritage.

My my idea regarding VAR is to eliminate the plain obvious errors. The howlers, the game changing decisions which may or may not be correct. It’s not a perfect fix but, it has structure and, is easy to implement within the current rule set.

Fair point about having to access some errors, and that the situation would be no worse than now. But we disagree on how it will (subconsciously) impact on refs and linesmen.

Again, I agree re howlers and game changers. 

But it's inconsistent and subjective in its application.

What is a game changing decision? Should that late Liverpool corner, that West Brom vigorously argued was a goal kick, have been reviewed? What if Liverpool had equalised from the corner?

In principle, I'm ok with the introduction of VAR, but there's has been inadequate thought into how it is to be implemented. As it is, and I accept its a trial, it's heading to be a disaster for the game. Good for Sky/BT and the pundits, but bad for the fans and the game as a whole.

The trouble is that they are trying to use VAR to fix things that are wrong in the game and could be fixed in other ways.

The big one is diving and cheating. The outrage about players diving has now gone and people seem to accept it is part of the game. 

We need to punish players more than just a yellow card and punish more players retrospectively.

The Chelsea game last week highlighted the issue, their players kept cheating and it makes the refs job a lot harder.

As goal line technology shows there is scope for technology in the game but the rush towards the current model for use of VAR will take too much from our game to justify any improvements it brings

43 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

And the fans at the ground and the managers and coaches are scratching their heads asking what the f**ks going on.

Refs need to be wired up and to explain to all (fans included) what's happening, and replay screens are needed in all grounds where VAR is used. That's how it works in rugby (I think).

Oh yes, thats what i meant, the screen the video ref sees should be visible to all (yup, thats how it works in the 6 nations anyway)

As I see things, the linesmen and the cameras appear to be competing with each other, also I don’t see why the ref should view the screen if a competent person has already done so and made up their mind. However, other than cloning Pierluigi Collina I can’t see an alternative to the use of technology.

VAR  is a good idea the problem is, if not used properly it can slow things down and it also covers up poor refereeing.

Look at Cricket they use it for decisions and even though the umpire thinks it is one way or the other they don't risk it and constantly go to the video referee, it slows the game down and the video technology actual prevent good decision.

You can then see in Rugby league and they seem to have the right mix of technology and good referee.

VAR will live and die on the ref but i fear it will lead to the game being slowed down and poor referees being covered by making the TV make all the decisions. Adding one challenging for the team captain might be a good way to go also.

Who wants decisions to be correct? we won't be able to shout abuse then!!!

Heaven's sake, they simply need to put proceedings on screen to keep the crowd engaged like they do in EVERY OTHER SPORT using va!

F**k me, every free kick around the box takes around 45 seconds for play to resume

Nobody says a dicky bird

Guest RocketOwl
4 hours ago, A12owl said:

He agreed in another thread that he wasn't going to post anything else about Rhodes until the end of the season.

If Rhodes doesn't score 10 goals before the end then @RocketOwl will have a 100 page thread by himself. If Rhodes does score 10 goals then @RocketOwl will never be seen on this site again.

I think this perception of me is completely wrong. I have stopped talking about Rhodes as much now because it seems more people have started to recognise what I have seen. I was constantly mentioning it during the times more posters didn't see it. I've passed the baton on now.

I would be absolutely delighted if Rhodes comes good. I would love to have the prolific Jordan Rhodes from Blackburn - I just can't see it. 

3 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

I bet if there was a poll, it would be the older posters who were more against.

bizarrely a lot of fans used to applaud back passes to the keeper

there was a lot of kerfuffle when the back pass law was introduced

same thing when they switched from 2pts to 3pts for a win

massive protests against goal line technology

introduction of 4th official was heavily ridiculed

..what you gonna do? .....some people don't like change

When the history of football is written, it along with wage and transfer fee inflation will be highlighted as what killed the game.

You think the atmosphere is bad now at games imagine what it will be like when you can't celebrate a goal until it has been checked from numerous angles.

Every time there is a ball into the box there could be a call to review for pushing.

As more and more calls get made by VAR the live game experience of fast flowing games will die.

Still it will give flagging TV coverage a much needed boost.

Just now, Davidioso said:

bizarrely a lot of fans used to applaud back passes to the keeper

there was a lot of kerfuffle when the back pass law was introduced

same thing when they switched from 2pts to 3pts for a win

massive protests against goal line technology

introduction of 4th official was heavily ridiculed

..what you gonna do? .....some people don't like change

a lot of people were against showing red and yellow cards too instead of the "book" (Bob Wilson football focus) as this somehow inflamed the crowd