MARCO MATIAS - I'm giving my best

Large

Marco Matias hailed the team ethic evident at Hillsborough following the 3-1 FA Cup fourth round win over Reading on Friday night.

The Portuguese turned in a polished performance alongside two-goal striker Atdhe Nuhiu but the forward spread the credit after the game.

He told swfc.co.uk: “I work so hard every day to get these opportunities and I am happy right now. But the most important thing is not me, it is the team and the performance in every game.

“Against Reading, I don’t think we started the game particularly well but after we fixed a couple of things it was much better.

“In the end I thought we played really well and probably deserved to score more than the three we did. We deserved another clean sheet as well and it was cruel on Cammy how their goal went in, but we have to be happy with the overall performance and the result.

“I am very proud of the team.”

matias1.jpg

Having also impressed in the third round against Carlisle, Matias now has his eye on taking his cup pedigree into the Championship.

Whilst accepting the task is far from easy in dislodging more established team mates, he has pledged to do all he can to keep on the radar of new boss Jos Luhukay.

He added: “He has given me a lot of confidence and I am trying to give my best for him and the team. I want to keep trying to get better and better.

“Maybe I can offer a different solution, who knows? I will do what I have to do right now and that is work hard in training, give my all on the pitch and then I will get the best chance of playing again and again.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Guest Copthorneowl

Personally always felt this guy was a player right from the early days, he's no doubt had fitness issues but it's hard to accept that Carlos one if his own countrymen offered him so few opportunities and clearly didn't do his confidence any good.

I think If he can stay fit hopefully we'll see the best of him and it's clear Jos doesn't do favourites.Dont know if anybody listened to radio 5 live yesterday but Waddle was asked to comment on Carlos at Swansea and I felt he dammed him with faint praise referring in a diplomatic way to his 'favoured players'.

3 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

Will be benched Tuesday mind:

Not so sure.   Him and Boyd were a thorn all night and they are the ones that can offer something out of nothing.    I'd be disappointed if both were left out of the starting line up and I feel Boyd will be just because he can't quite be fit enough yet.

Guest RocketOwl
1 minute ago, a_weishaupt said:

Not so sure.   Him and Boyd were a thorn all night and they are the ones that can offer something out of nothing.    I'd be disappointed if both were left out of the starting line up and I feel Boyd will be just because he can't quite be fit enough yet.

Will be Rhodes and Joao. We all know it.

2 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

Will be Rhodes and Joao. We all know it.

I know nothing of the sort.   We assume the formation will be the same - it probably will but it may be a different formation.   

Jos may want to recognise players in form and give them more incentive by letting them keep the shirt.

Edited by a_weishaupt

Guest RocketOwl
4 minutes ago, a_weishaupt said:

I know nothing of the sort.   We assume the formation will be the same - it probably will but it may be a different formation.   

Jos may want to recognise players in form and give them more incentive by letting them keep the shirt.

Doubt it.

4 minutes ago, a_weishaupt said:

Royal "we" used ?

lol

Guest wilyfox

Credit where it's due, Nuhiu and Matias deserve to keep the shirt. Have to say though...I would really like to see Joao and Matias paired at some point, having played together previously. Disappointed they've been here 2+1/2yrs now and we still haven't seen it. 

Joao and Rhodes on paper are the most fearsome of what we have fit.

Matias and Nuhui are the ones delivering.

I'm far from a manager but I know i'd probably try to stick with what was working, schedule and fitness levels permitting.

Edited by a_weishaupt

We all saw that Matias could be a great player in his debut, and then with the goal at Leeds. But he failed to live up to that start.

Maybe injuries were to blame, but I don't think we can complain that Carlos didn't give him enough chances. At times he didn't look bothered, other times he was lacked application.

However, I think he did enough in the second half (little in the first) against Reading to get a start on Tuesday, but I think Jos will go back to Joao and Rhodes as he's spoken about building their confidence. 

Unless Rhodes and Joao get some goals at Boro, MM and Nuhiu will start Saturday though.