Matias

10 minutes ago, Animis said:

I agree that the three attacking options with pace of FF, Matias and Reach supporting a front striker is exciting. Problem is they're all left footed and play left side - so they're unlikely to play together in the prefered position. At least they are an option in case of injuries or coming on from the bench.

One is for sure, next season will look a whole lot better when the likes of Matias is ahead of the Wallace's of this world. We can then put the CC era truely to rest.

Matias and FF are right footed?

Playing upfront has taken away so much of the defensive duty that Carlos would have required from him on the left of a 442. That new freedom has given him confidence and he looks like a different player, albeit the player we thought we were getting.

Credit to Jos for sticking him up for the but even more so to Matias himself. Unbelievably strong mentality from the lad to get back into this side and work hard after a nightmarish couple of years. Would have been so easy for him to go back to Portugal and I’m sure he had that chance. Really hope he stays injury free and can become a top player at this club. 

6 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

I enjoyed the Marco Matias chant. Very retro.  Ideally should have had urchins on the Kop holding scarves above their heads.

We'll be serving Watneys Red Barrel at this rate.

Would keep playing him. Build the confidence.  Terrific second half. 

What was the chant mate?

11 hours ago, BRADDO said:

Pace, great first touch, hard working. The goals will come, no doubt. Marco and Dave have tonight given the manager a selection problem 

11 hours ago, torryowl said:

I think so ....they work well together .

It was like watching Toshack and Keegan lol

• Haha 1

Really glad he's had a few games and put a couple of good performances in, but for me I still don't know where he fits in...Is he really a better striking option than 2 of Hooper, Forestieri, Rhodes, Fletcher, Joao? I can definitely see him in a front three but not really in Midfield? 

Unfortunately unless we play 433 or 343 I can see him being underused and eventually slipping back into obscurity.

Edited by Fuzzy logics

I wonder how Matias and FF would get on in a 3-4-3? Same system as Chelsea and Wolves.

Both players are wide attackers in a 3. I would like us to use it before the end of the season to see how we get on. Back to having 2 in the middle and I would prefer 3 However both those players would flourish in a front 3.

Not sure Jos would go for it but if we needed a goal the below could be exciting...

Westwood

Venacio          Lees         Van Aken

Boyd        Pelupessy            Bannan           Reach

Matias           Hooper        Forestieri

43 minutes ago, Fuzzy logics said:

Not sure Jos would go for it but if we needed a goal the below could be exciting...

Westwood

Venacio          Lees         Van Aken

Boyd        Pelupessy            Bannan           Reach

Matias           Hooper        Forestieri

Same formation different personnel for me. 

Wildsmith

Venancio van Aken Thornley

Hutch Pelupessy Reach new

Matias Hooper/Joao Forestieri 

the luxory with Hutch he is probably our best defender midfielder and wing back ‘when fit’

1 hour ago, Walt said:

From, what we've been told 4231 is Jos' preferred set up. FF and Matias as the wide players in the 3 would be a very good attacking option. That's if last night wasn't a flash in the pan performance from Matias. 

Wouldn't that be giving Matias and FF defensive duties, tracking them full backs.

Keep the defensive duties to Hunt & Fox I say

No reason under the sun to change anything

12 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

Wouldn't that be giving Matias and FF defensive duties, tracking them full backs.

Keep the defensive duties to Hunt & Fox I say

No reason under the sun to change anything

I wouldn't change anything as it is now (apart from the first 20 mins last night!). We haven't got FF fit for a start so it's obviously a non goer for now and I was very impressed with Matias in a front two. The comment was more to do with fitting players into what we've been told is Jos' preferred way of playing 4231. Whatever formation(s) we eventually end up playing it would be great to see FF (and on that showing) Matias buzzing about in attacking positions, then we'd have some genuine flair back in the side and let opponents worry about us for a change.