Matias

Was outstanding tonight. Second half was like having another FF. Pace, pressing, skill. Really pleased for him cos to be honest this move has been pretty much a nightmare so far.

Deserved a goal tonight.

Lets hope that is a standard he can repeat week in and out because if it is we really do have a "reight" (I believe you say) player back.

1 hour ago, sweetsheri said:

Makes you wonder doesn’t it.

Player gets played out of position.. so spends all his time injured.

New manager comes and plays him in his fave position and suddenly he’s fit.

Player gets injured, gets fit, left out of squad, put on subs bench, makes sub appearance almost turning game v Bolton, player put on bench, left out of squad,3 or 4 games, starts in 4-4-2 after not even being involved,subbed at half time when formation changes to 4-3-3 by manager who comes up with nonsensical explanation, not in squad, new manager plays him in cup games, scores, looks like a different player

That's what makes me wonder.

As much as I'm thrilled by Matias' performance, how can I not reflect on Carvalhal?

Really, I know we should move on, but I'm struggling.

I wanted him gone since about Brighton away last season, but there's no doubting that for the 9 months or so that he survived beyond that it was always within his power to change things. Yes, the injuries were ultimately problematic, but just as tonight proves, there were possibilities within the squad available to him - and not just left-field options, but flipping obvious ones.

I don't buy that CC was clueless as some are wilfully pushing now, but I don't think I'll ever get my head round what happened with CC's approach in that second season and beyond. We had the players. The squad was far from perfect, but nor were the other teams we were up against.

• Thanks 1

According to my son  LJ and MM played together in Portugal and MM scored most of his goals because LJ did most of the donkey work, why not try these two together . And can I just say I'm listening to Becks new album 'Colours ' one of the best albums I've heard last and this year. 

Edited by gableratchet

4 hours ago, sweetsheri said:

Makes you wonder doesn’t it.

Player gets played out of position.. so spends all his time injured.

New manager comes and plays him in his fave position and suddenly he’s fit.

It does. Another strange CC decision. 

He's literally like a new signing. Him and FF in the same side could be frightening. 

Let’s be fair Marco isn’t a left midfielder in a 4-4-2 and that’s where Carlos played him. Needs to play either in an attacking midfield left role, left wing or up top as he has more freedom and no defensive duties as such. That second goal we scored I didn’t think Marco had that tenacious nature in him. Really really hope this is a platform to build on and not just a one off.

a personal favourite of mine was the fake shot he did before his left footed effort was inches away. I think the reading defender needed a ticket to get back into hillsborough after that one to be fair lol

I have been critical of Mathias in the past thinking he was too lightweight for the championship. This opinion was formed on seeing him play under Carlos as a winger, where he doesn't have the defensive qualities required to assist the full back.

Under Jos so far I see a different player, a player being played to his strengths, his movement and skill when playing off Nuhiu have shown what he has in his locker.

Dont think he is quite as fast as some are saying, but certainly no slouch.

His was very tenacious and tricky when winning and delivering the perfect ball for Nuhiu to score his second .

( His celebration showed how much it meant to him.)

Just hope line gets the protection from refs as he will get targeted just like FF.

2 minutes ago, torres said:

With everyone fit, Rhodes could arguably be our 7th choice striker option 

FF

Hooper

Fletcher

Joao

Nuhiu

Matias 

Rhodes!!

When Winnall comes back he drops to 8th choice!! Amazing when you think.

When winnall comes back it will be end of season in which I reckon our striking options will all be looked at and we won’t have that many 

6 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Nuhiu on current form

Matias on current form

Joao on current form

Rhodes 

Forestieri 

Fletcher

Hooper 

^Which one won't play again this season out of the 7?

I think Steven Fletchers leaving on loan...

Unfortunately don't think there will be a queue at the door for Fletcher on 40k a week.

I agree that the three attacking options with pace of FF, Matias and Reach supporting a front striker is exciting. Problem is they're all left footed and play left side - so they're unlikely to play together in the prefered position. At least they are an option in case of injuries or coming on from the bench.

One is for sure, next season will look a whole lot better when the likes of Matias is ahead of the Wallace's of this world. We can then put the CC era truely to rest.

7 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

It does. Another strange CC decision. 

He's literally like a new signing. Him and FF in the same side could be frightening. 

Agree. Another player badly managed by CC

We'll probably see the rebirth of Abdi next..