Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
@owlstalk

Championship Now Boasts Third Biggest Crowds In Europe

Recommended Posts

Last week UEFA published their Club Licensing Benchmarking Report and one of the telling conclusions from the study was that the English Championship polls third across Europe in the table of most watched leagues.

The Premier League came in top spot with total attendances of more than 13million, with the German Bundesliga in second place, but the Championship's figure of more than 11million puts it in third (moving up from fourth in the last report), higher than Spain's La Liga, Italy's Serie A and the French Ligue 1 

The report also showed that the Premier League and Championship continue to top the list of foreign club ownership with almost two thirds of the clubs in the Premier League foreign owner, and that figure drops to 58% for the Championship.

For the first time ever, the Premier League has an average wage bill of 153.9million Euros and that is more than double of the next highest paying league, the Bundesliga with an average of 75.3million Euros.

The Premier League also boasts five clubs - Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool and Arsenal - who all feature in the top 20 clubs by wages.

Eleven clubs also report aggregate attendances in the league of over one million, with West Ham, Celtic and Liverpool now passing that mark to join Manchester United, Arsenal and Manchester City in the top 11.

England's top 20 tier clubs also reported more revenue that all 597 clubs combined from the 48 smaller UEFA countries - except Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Russia and Turkey.
 

Top 10 European Leagues By Total Attendance - 2016/17
Rank
League
Country
Aggregate Attendance
1
Premier League
England
13,607,420
2
Bundesliga
Germany
12,703,896
3
Championship
England
11,086,368
4
La Liga
Spain
10,621,000
5
Serie A
Italy
8,377,860
6
Ligue 1
France
7,965,940
7
2. Bundesliga
Germany
6,652,134
8
Eredivisie
Netherlands
5,840,316
9
League One
England
4,373,496
10
Primeira Liga
Portugal
3,622,428


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Last week UEFA published their Club Licensing Benchmarking Report and one of the telling conclusions from the study was that the English Championship polls third across Europe in the table of most watched leagues.

The Premier League came in top spot with total attendances of more than 13million, with the German Bundesliga in second place, but the Championship's figure of more than 11million puts it in third (moving up from fourth in the last report), higher than Spain's La Liga, Italy's Serie A and the French Ligue 1 

The report also showed that the Premier League and Championship continue to top the list of foreign club ownership with almost two thirds of the clubs in the Premier League foreign owner, and that figure drops to 58% for the Championship.

For the first time ever, the Premier League has an average wage bill of 153.9million Euros and that is more than double of the next highest paying league, the Bundesliga with an average of 75.3million Euros.

The Premier League also boasts five clubs - Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool and Arsenal - who all feature in the top 20 clubs by wages.

Eleven clubs also report aggregate attendances in the league of over one million, with West Ham, Celtic and Liverpool now passing that mark to join Manchester United, Arsenal and Manchester City in the top 11.

England's top 20 tier clubs also reported more revenue that all 597 clubs combined from the 48 smaller UEFA countries - except Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Russia and Turkey.
 

Top 10 European Leagues By Total Attendance - 2016/17
Rank
League
Country
Aggregate Attendance
1
Premier League
England
13,607,420
2
Bundesliga
Germany
12,703,896
3
Championship
England
11,086,368
4
La Liga
Spain
10,621,000
5
Serie A
Italy
8,377,860
6
Ligue 1
France
7,965,940
7
2. Bundesliga
Germany
6,652,134
8
Eredivisie
Netherlands
5,840,316
9
League One
England
4,373,496
10
Primeira Liga
Portugal
3,622,428


 

 

celtic 

 

 

 

 

thZMESNTUA.jpg

Edited by welsOwl74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pigs will probably singlehandedly take all the credit for that.

 

It's impressive really - fewer people watch La Liga live!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, Serie A. How the mighty have fallen. It was all-conquering in the '90s. A warning that the bubble can burst. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that's  a bit misleading , the average attendance in the Bundesliga is higher than the prem by about 6k a game .....ditto the championship average is below Bundesliga 2 by around 1k ........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, El Wednesday said:

Wow, Serie A. How the mighty have fallen. It was all-conquering in the '90s. A warning that the bubble can burst. 

I wish the bubble would burst . The money is out of control . 300k a week to players, it’s beyond stupid . 40 quid to watch second division football, 60 quid for a replica shirt. It’s gone too far. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, torryowl said:

that's  a bit misleading , the average attendance in the Bundesliga is higher than the prem by about 6k a game .....ditto the championship average is below Bundesliga 2 by around 1k ........

How does that work then? Serious question. I get it with the championship as I think bundesliga 2 doesn't have 24 teams, meaning less games. But doesn't the premier league and bundesliga have the same amount of teams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, torryowl said:

that's  a bit misleading , the average attendance in the Bundesliga is higher than the prem by about 6k a game .....ditto the championship average is below Bundesliga 2 by around 1k ........

 

Exactly. There are 380 Prem games a season, but only 306 in the Bundesliga.

 

And at 552 games in the Championship, Bundesliga 2 games still attract more fans per game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Championship is high partly due to more games, but also due to more big teams.

The other big European leagues have few previously successful teams in lower leagues. 

How many leagues can "boast" European cup winners in the second tier?

If we replaced Bournemouth, Swansea, Watford, Brighton, with Forest, Villa, Leeds, Wolves, Championship crowds would be way down.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

How does that work then? Serious question. I get it with the championship as I think bundesliga 2 doesn't have 24 teams, meaning less games. But doesn't the premier league and bundesliga have the same amount of teams?

the two german leagues have 18 clubs ........the average Bundesliga 2016-17  was 41k ,the prem just under 36k ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for the laugh....:biggrin:

 

2016–17 Scottish "Premiership" :ph34r:
 
Highest attendance      58,967 Celtic 2–0 Heart of Midlothian 
Lowest attendance        1,548 Hamilton Academical 1–1 Ross County
Total attendance       3,184,955

 

Average attendance

13,969

 

Celtic averaged 54,477 and Rangers 48,941 

 

 

     
Edited by steveger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Statistical anomaly due to Newcastle being in the league last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a good league to be in and for my money more exciting than the prem with its premadonnas, it’s certainly more unpredictable 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

It’s a good league to be in and for my money more exciting than the prem with its premadonnas, it’s certainly more unpredictable 

 

lolAs an Owlstalk veteran, you surely know better than that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Premier League has an average wage bill of 153.9million Euros

Is that per club?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Last week UEFA published their Club Licensing Benchmarking Report and one of the telling conclusions from the study was that the English Championship polls third across Europe in the table of most watched leagues.

The Premier League came in top spot with total attendances of more than 13million, with the German Bundesliga in second place, but the Championship's figure of more than 11million puts it in third (moving up from fourth in the last report), higher than Spain's La Liga, Italy's Serie A and the French Ligue 1 

The report also showed that the Premier League and Championship continue to top the list of foreign club ownership with almost two thirds of the clubs in the Premier League foreign owner, and that figure drops to 58% for the Championship.

For the first time ever, the Premier League has an average wage bill of 153.9million Euros and that is more than double of the next highest paying league, the Bundesliga with an average of 75.3million Euros.

The Premier League also boasts five clubs - Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool and Arsenal - who all feature in the top 20 clubs by wages.

Eleven clubs also report aggregate attendances in the league of over one million, with West Ham, Celtic and Liverpool now passing that mark to join Manchester United, Arsenal and Manchester City in the top 11.

England's top 20 tier clubs also reported more revenue that all 597 clubs combined from the 48 smaller UEFA countries - except Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Russia and Turkey.
 

Top 10 European Leagues By Total Attendance - 2016/17
Rank
League
Country
Aggregate Attendance
1
Premier League
England
13,607,420
2
Bundesliga
Germany
12,703,896
3
Championship
England
11,086,368
4
La Liga
Spain
10,621,000
5
Serie A
Italy
8,377,860
6
Ligue 1
France
7,965,940
7
2. Bundesliga
Germany
6,652,134
8
Eredivisie
Netherlands
5,840,316
9
League One
England
4,373,496
10
Primeira Liga
Portugal
3,622,428


 

What a shame that the football league are such numpties when it comes to marketing and improving the pull of the league.

 

Sky give big contracts to the premier league and the championship is an after thought. BT sport exactly the same, the BBC when its a cup game always show the all premiership ties or the ones involving Man Utd/Liverpool. Then when its time to negotiate TV deals the championship clubs get a few million a year each and the premiership teams get £100m but it the championship under FFP rules not the premier league.

 

 If the football league had a back bone maybe they would get a better deal for all its 72 clubs instead of being under the boot of the premier league. For clubs and the league to move forward and not eventually become feeder clubs to the premier league something needs to change and soon.

 

I would scrap FFP and give every team in the league a budget of £25m a season that is to be used for wages and transfer fees, any one breaks it they are automatic relegated, no special rules for teams coming down from the premier league either and parachute payments stopped with all the money going to grass routes football to bring joy and exercise to the next generation and maybe even create players of the future.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, cowl said:

 

lolAs an Owlstalk veteran, you surely know better than that!

So we have Champadonnas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

What a shame that the football league are such numpties when it comes to marketing and improving the pull of the league.

 

Sky give big contracts to the premier league and the championship is an after thought. BT sport exactly the same, the BBC when its a cup game always show the all premiership ties or the ones involving Man Utd/Liverpool. Then when its time to negotiate TV deals the championship clubs get a few million a year each and the premiership teams get £100m but it the championship under FFP rules not the premier league.

 

 If the football league had a back bone maybe they would get a better deal for all its 72 clubs instead of being under the boot of the premier league. For clubs and the league to move forward and not eventually become feeder clubs to the premier league something needs to change and soon.

 

I would scrap FFP and give every team in the league a budget of £25m a season that is to be used for wages and transfer fees, any one breaks it they are automatic relegated, no special rules for teams coming down from the premier league either and parachute payments stopped with all the money going to grass routes football to bring joy and exercise to the next generation and maybe even create players of the future.  

 

 

 

Teams relegated from the Premiership with huge wage bills will have a problem though. There would have to be a rule introduced that would mean that all contracts a player signs with a club would be immediately set to reduced terms upon relegation. If they were able to do this then there'd be no need to scrap FFP - which in any case, isn't such a bad thing, however frustrating it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, james o connor said:

I wish the bubble would burst . The money is out of control . 300k a week to players, it’s beyond stupid . 40 quid to watch second division football, 60 quid for a replica shirt. It’s gone too far. 

 

Spot on mate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...