Relegation or a trophy?

Guest Bulgaria

7 hours ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:

It's a non starter of a question as neither will happen this season, however .... I'm 45.  I've (been very fortunate and) witnessed us lift a major trophy once.  I doubt I'll see it again in my lifetime.  I've also witnessed us in the third tier for many occasions.  My son is now 14 and (been made) to watch us since the age of 4.  For him (and us all) I'd love him to see us lift a major trophy again.  I doubt he'll see it in his lifetime.  No brainier, the magical FA Cup every time, by a mile.  

This, 100 times over. I'm really struggling to understand why some wouldn't want this. Having seen us lift the League Cup, it was my best day ever following Wednesday (I was there at BDM, Wembley '93, etc) but to see us lift the FA Cup would be so much better.....and it would be a proper entry for the Honours Board.  Relegation? We've had those and bounced back and would do again.

16 hours ago, handworth52 said:

100% playing in championship . winning fa cup is like having going on a bende,r its fun for a day  , losing championship status is like losing your house ,in our case losing championship status would be fatal with our huge wage bill ,we could easily do a Coventry or Portsmouth . by the way who remembers wigan or Portsmouth winning fa cup? didn't do them much good in long term did it. we are a long way from safe this season ,a lot say our season is over , its far from over . 

More than you would think...... including you as you brought it up. 

4 minutes ago, Maxine said:

For me it's all about the league, cups are an extra. No contest. 

Each to their own, which is what makes OT what it is. I would take winning the Prem over the Cup but I'd take the Cup over anything else. Losing in '93 was my worst day following Wednesday. Every year for 10 years (starting in '83), I'd harboured serious aspirations of us winning the Cup......we had a couple of losing semis, a couple of quarters and suddenly the Holy Grail was there staring us in the face....until Bright missed that sitter and then Woods let one through his hands.....oh the joys of being a Wednesdayite

Guest Bulgaria
17 hours ago, handworth52 said:

100% playing in championship . winning fa cup is like having going on a bende,r its fun for a day  , losing championship status is like losing your house ,in our case losing championship status would be fatal with our huge wage bill ,we could easily do a Coventry or Portsmouth . by the way who remembers wigan or Portsmouth winning fa cup? didn't do them much good in long term did it. we are a long way from safe this season ,a lot say our season is over , its far from over . 

Got to disagree with yer there pal.

Winning a cup fun for a day!!!  you have got to be kidding me?

I remember Wigan, Portsmouth winning the cup... i would say it did them the world of good..... just take a look at their honours list. Trophy's are what we play the game for, not just to see how much cash we can get in the directors and players pockets.

Coventry's cup win in 1987 is what their fans will come up with when asked about their greatest ever season, yes they are hitting bad times now, but they are still around and will one day bounce back.

Wigan and Portsmouth aint doing too bad now are they?

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, Bramhall Owl said:

This, 100 times over. I'm really struggling to understand why some wouldn't want this. Having seen us lift the League Cup, it was my best day ever following Wednesday (I was there at BDM, Wembley '93, etc) but to see us lift the FA Cup would be so much better.....and it would be a proper entry for the Honours Board.  Relegation? We've had those and bounced back and would do again.

Nailed it.

14 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

I remember Wigan, Portsmouth winning the cup... i would say it did them the world of good..... just take a look at their honours list. Trophy's are what we play the game for, not just to see how much cash we can get in the directors and players pockets.

Coventry's cup win in 1987 is what their fans will come up with when asked about their greatest ever season, yes they are hitting bad times now, but they are still around and will one day bounce back.

Absolutely, I'm glad it isn't me who thinks like this

20 hours ago, Rebowl Yell said:

And have fans of tinpot clubs like Oldham and Bury gracing our away end again? No chance, there is no greater shame for a club of our stature having to deal with those scrubby little tinpot town clubs that waste away the bottom ends of our league. We deserve Premier league and we will not drop, even if we do win the FA cup.

Circa 30 years ago I and my seven year old son attended a cup match in Spain contested by the home team Teulada, v a Real Madrid team, that did contain some first teamers. The whole town was decorated in bunting and flags, many of the Spanish girls who attended the match wore traditional Spaanish costume, it was a total sell out.

I assume that you would have given that one a miss.

3 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

Circa 30 years ago I and my seven year old son attended a cup match in Spain contested by the home team Teulada, v a Real Madrid team, that did contain some first teamers. The whole town was decorated in bunting and flags, many of the Spanish girls who attended the match wore traditional Spaanish costume, it was a total sell out.

I assume that you would have given that one a miss.

Yes I only watch the best. Gillingham (my home town club) are too tinpot for me, as a trans-Sheffielder I feel I am a Wednesdayite in my heart and soul. I even stil followed Wednesday when they dropped to the third division even though I refused to go because those grounds were beneath me.

2 minutes ago, Cpt_Hatstand said:

Do you actually think Wednesday will win the Premier League any time soon?

If not then cup win, otherwise, what's the ruddy point?

That wasn't the question. 

I wouldn't want to win a cup and get relegated to league one.

Just now, Maxine said:

That wasn't the question. 

I wouldn't want to win a cup and get relegated to league one.

I know that wasn't the question, but why is the league more important to you?

We don't really have a chance of winning the thing any time soon, barring a Leicester-esque once in 50 years miracle, so I'd take a notch on the honours board any day of the week, even if it meant playing in League One for a bit.

So win the fa cup play in Europe.and get relegated for a season - as you don't call us Sheffield United so it should take 6 years to get up. In my lifetime we have only played in Europe twice and one of those time was in inter to to cup so yes I would take a once in a life time cup win (the last being 1935) and relegation as we would come back next season or the season after.

Or lose against Reading and have a quiet and boring end to the season.

Or Why don't we play a full strength team, that we can put out as most of the games until the 6th round fall on blank week ends so if we are not playing we will be not doing anything else. Then in the league we have 54 points to play for which would give us over 80 point if we won every game and a play off spot. We probably won't win ever game but until the play offs are not mathematical i would expect the team to be going out to win every game.

The fans still turn up ever game, it not like when there is nothing to play for that it is free to watch them so I would expect the same from the players

2 minutes ago, Hodgyowl said:

Cup win all day long but i would worry about the ffp situation and the time it took us the get back out last time we dropped out of the championship, but an FA cup win would be fabuless especially for the young fans.

The £1.8million prize for winning, plus the extra revenue of the following European games would probably help with FFP - at least to some extent.

2 hours ago, Maxine said:

For me it's all about the league, cups are an extra. No contest. 

Promotion to the Prem or an FA Cup is a different question.  I'd have to go promotion as its an actual achievement and changes the whole future of the club.

But a cup win or another season in League One is a whole diff quesiton. 

1 hour ago, Bulgaria said:

if we won fa cup and were certain to bounce straight back up then id be up for that . wigan and Portsmouth are in league 1 now so fa cup might be in there distant memories now. remember it took the stain 6 years to get back out of league 1 . when we played arsenal in 1993 at Wembley it was the most watched fa cup final in many years ,everyone in them days watched the fa cup ,sadly its been so devalued with even most championship teams playing there reserves . id love to go back to Wembley I really would but not at expense of losing championship status and getting into severe debt .fa cup 3rd round  for instance vs carlise the club didn't even make enough to pay 1 weeks Jordon Rhodes wages ,unless you draw big clubs 50000 and get tv coverage most rounds it don't make a club that much 

32 minutes ago, Cpt_Hatstand said:

I know that wasn't the question, but why is the league more important to you?

We don't really have a chance of winning the thing any time soon, barring a Leicester-esque once in 50 years miracle, so I'd take a notch on the honours board any day of the week, even if it meant playing in League One for a bit.

22 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

Promotion to the Prem or an FA Cup is a different question.  I'd have to go promotion as its an actual achievement and changes the whole future of the club.

But a cup win or another season in League One is a whole diff quesiton. 

The reason  I love watching wednesday is for the league it's what it's all about IMO even when we aren't doing well like now, not getting relegated, making play offs finishing mid table it's what keeps me interested. I'd never want a cup run to jeopardise the league ever. I'll be there Friday night I was there last Tuesday in the snow I love a cup run but it's a second to the league.