Relegation or a trophy?

Guest Bulgaria

9 hours ago, Rebowl Yell said:

And have fans of tinpot clubs like Oldham and Bury gracing our away end again? No chance, there is no greater shame for a club of our stature having to deal with those scrubby little tinpot town clubs that waste away the bottom ends of our league. We deserve Premier league and we will not drop, even if we do win the FA cup.

Holy effin ell.....the arrogance man....turn down the arrogance...it's just too much.

12 minutes ago, qantas said:

Holy effin ell.....the arrogance man....turn down the arrogance...it's just too much.

Why should I? I was born and raised in Gillingham and chose to support Sheffield Wednesday instead of the gills in 1991 because I liked their kit and ever since 2000 I’ve had nothing but ribbing from those tinpot town fans all because I supported a club that I felt an emotional connection for and not my ‘local’ club. So yeah I hate those type of clubs, they are just bitter hate filled fans! I’ve had to suffer through living my entire life in Gillingham even though I feel like I’m a Sheffielder in my heart. I want to leave and move to Sheffield to get away from it all and be amongst real, proper people so please excuse me if I’m a little wound up they are just bitter I support a much better club than they ever will and when we get back to the big time I will be right up there in Sheffield cheering the blue and white on!

It's a non starter of a question as neither will happen this season, however .... I'm 45.  I've (been very fortunate and) witnessed us lift a major trophy once.  I doubt I'll see it again in my lifetime.  I've also witnessed us in the third tier for many occasions.  My son is now 14 and (been made) to watch us since the age of 4.  For him (and us all) I'd love him to see us lift a major trophy again.  I doubt he'll see it in his lifetime.  No brainier, the magical FA Cup every time, by a mile.  

43 minutes ago, Rebowl Yell said:

Why should I?

Because there's room for everyone & yes mate I think you are a little wound up....there are real & proper people all over the world not just Sheffield...if there are those in Gillingham who take the wee cos you're not supporting the local team then there are many more in Rotherham who do the same with hundreds of Wednesday fans, it means nowt in the end, support who the hell you like is what I say.

The way you come across is arrogant, you may not be but that's how it looks on here, no club deserves a place in the prem except those that are there & that's earned by winning enough points to stay or be promoted there....as for tin pot, I guess by your measure we're all tin pot behind the likes of Man Utd, Barca etc aren't we....no mate, tin pot doesn't come into it, clubs are what they are big or small, good on em for surviving & carrying on at ANY level.

1 minute ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:

It's a non starter of a question as neither will happen this season, however .... I'm 45.  I've (been very fortunate and) witnessed us lift a major trophy once.  I doubt I'll see it again in my lifetime.  I've also witnessed us in the third tier for many occasions.  My son is now 14 and (been made) to watch us since the age of 4.  For him (and us all) I'd love him to see us lift a major trophy again.  I doubt he'll see it in his lifetime.  No brainier, the magical FA Cup every time, by a mile.  

I guess it's still a great trophy but it has lost a lot of it's magic....I'd love Wednesday to win it but not at the expense of going down, the feeling of relegation is the worst....it's a daft question really, we have to accept whatever comes don't we, we can't trade cup wins/relegation off with each other as interesting as that may be.

2 minutes ago, qantas said:

I guess it's still a great trophy but it has lost a lot of it's magic....I'd love Wednesday to win it but not at the expense of going down, the feeling of relegation is the worst....it's a daft question really, we have to accept whatever comes don't we, we can't trade cup wins/relegation off with each other as interesting as that may be.

I still love the FA Cup, but the one thing we can all agree on ... It's a daft question 

14 hours ago, axolotl said:

Cup.

Plus it would mean a European tour!

How far would we get on this tour? Probably as far as Skegness with a team that has just been relegated. No relegation for me. Ive seen enough for a lifetime thanks. Just sayin...

13 hours ago, handworth52 said:

100% playing in championship . winning fa cup is like having going on a bende,r its fun for a day  , losing championship status is like losing your house ,in our case losing championship status would be fatal with our huge wage bill ,we could easily do a Coventry or Portsmouth . by the way who remembers wigan or Portsmouth winning fa cup? didn't do them much good in long term did it. we are a long way from safe this season ,a lot say our season is over , its far from over . 

I tend to agree with this. The FA cup as been devalued over the years by the like of ManUre Utd. It as no where near the glamour of what it use to be,. Wednesday should be playing at the highest possible level each season. For those who say we will bounce back up if relegated, I wish I could share the same optimism. 

Anyone who hasn't said cup win has no romance. Imagine if Fat Ron has prioritised promotion over the League Cup in 1991? There would barely be a single Wednesdayite alive that would have witnessed our club win a major honour.

When we meet our maker, are we going to look back at our Premier League seasons as our club's sporting zenith? Course not - it's all about the trophies! And as much as I'd hate to be back in League One, I'd gladly take it for one glorious day out at Wembley...

17 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

There is no reason why we cannot do both.

We will not win the FA cup, but a good cup run does two things.

1) It put's us in the National press.

2) It gives confidence to the players.

IF we were chasing promotion then I would say, bugger the cup.

We'll get plenty of national press when our FFP embargo hits 

Like many who went against Arsenal that season when we lost two finals took some getting over. I said to myself after the FA Cup final replay loss that was the real chance in my lifetime to win the FA Cup. These things come round once in a blue moon whilst genuine chances of promotion are there every season. If we ever got the chance again to lift that famous trophy I for one would sacrifice relegation. 

I was asking my lad of whom his experience of watching Wednesday consists of one relegation and one promotion if he would rather be in the Premier league or have witnessed winning a cup but have suffered relegation as a consequence. Winning a cup every time and I agree with him. Nothing can take away my great memories of the cup run in 1990 and 1991 that culminated in beating Manchester United at Wembley.

16 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

We have got past the 3rd round and people talking about a cup run

lol

As for this vs relegation - no brainier, avoiding relegation evey time 

Wednesday should never face the indignity of relegation ever again, go to clubs like Stevenage expecting a win ann then getting hammered 6-0,rather get promoted to premiership where we should be. I was lucky to see Wednesday win cup in 1066 v Hastings