Not all doom and gloom re FFP

OK, so we have to be mindful of FFP, but it is not all doom and gloom. Below is a reasonably competitive team (acknowledging some weak links) we could field with an average age around 24. 

image.png.06b33b30706862c321ffe59a89f03702.png

Add in some options like Penney (19), Nielson (19), O'Grady (20) as back up. Established players like Palmer (26), Matias (28) and factor in some of the returning players like Lees (27), Bannan (28), Hutchinson (28), Hooper (29) and starts to look a whole lot better.

I have not even included the likes of Fletcher, Abdi, Loovens, Pudil, Wallace, Boyd, Jones, Lee, Jones, Butterfield, FF, Nuhiu, or Westood all of whom would contribute towards a significant saving on wages (at least) if needed. Not to advocate that we seek to move them all on, but in truth a good number of these have not been available for long periods over their SWFC careers, so can questions their value v contribution?

FFP aside, think we have reason to be optimistic for the future and looking forward to seeing how Jos reshapes this sqaud over the summer.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Highlights for me that we need a right wing back.

Reach can go out left, Bannan into the middle and we have options at centerback until van Aken finds his feet.

Right back is where we would benefit the most from a step up in quality right now.

If we had to get rid of all the players we have signed for fees and play with free agents and kids. This is our squad to pick from based on our current squad

Goal Westwood (free), Wildsmith/Dawson (Youth)

Centre backs Lees (free), Loovens (free), Ogrady/ Neilson/Thorniley (youth)

Full backs Palmer/Penney/Baker (Youth)

Wingers Boyd (free), Wallace (free), Stobbs (youth)

Central midfield Hutch (free), Lee (free), Bannan (free), Clare (youth)

Strikers Nuihu (free), Hirst (Youth), Fletcher (free)

Fees paid - Hunt, Jones, Aken, Rhodes, Butterfield (Loan fee), Hooper, Joao, Matias, Reach, Pelupesy, Pudil, Fox, Abdi, Forestieri, Venancio (loan fee), Kean

I think a team of free and kids might not be a bad thing yes we lose Rhodes, Fessi, Hooper and Reach but with the above frees and youth we should be a mid table team all be it a bit weak in attack and on the wings.

Still a heavy and unbalanced squad in certain areas so I’d bee keen to see if we can help the FFP situation by selling one or two. When people talk about FFP it tends to always be regarding players brought in and value for money etc. It’s just as important to balance the books the other way too.

2 minutes ago, MuddyFunkster said:

Still a heavy and unbalanced squad in certain areas so I’d bee keen to see if we can help the FFP situation by selling one or two. When people talk about FFP it tends to always be regarding players brought in and value for money etc. It’s just as important to balance the books the other way too.

Completely agree, there are arguably 12 established, presumably high earning players to choose from in my list, some of whom who could be sold to balance to books (if anyone will take them). Butterflied will go back at the end of the season which will save his wage and likely that Winnall will be one sold for £2-3m potentially?

Nothing wrong with selling to balance the books, it is something DC is going to have to manage better. 

I anticipate Winnall, FF (but at a much reduced fee than quoted last year given his injury)  will be the most likely sold, can see those out of contract being released and would understand if Swansea came sniffing round Bannan, Lee and Hooper. 

52 minutes ago, striker said:

To be fair if you were to look at that team and add only about half of our other "older" players

Def: Lees, Hutch, Pudil

Mid: Lee Bannan, Abdi

Att: Hooper, Matias, Forestieri

You would say that that would be a top 8 team. One or two smart acquisitions and you'd probably bet on a play-off challenge campaign, and with youth getting a chance under Luhukay there could well be one or two that could push on to further strengthen us. 

Of course, the hard part is making the right type of signings... even harder is selling the existing players. I have faith Jos can do the former, the latter is somewhat up to the footballing gods and will a club want to buy the players I haven't included: Fletcher, Nuhiu, Wallace, Boyd, Jones, Loovens, Westwood. Wallace and Loovens are out of contract in the summer, and I think we could easily get a buyer for Westwood... not sure about the others... 

Edited by StudentOwl

35 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

“Reasonably competitive” isn’t really good enough for this league Looking at that team, it would be a struggle to stay in this division

Agree, but we have a base to build on and add back in some of the experienced players currently injured; Hooper, Bannan, Lees, Hutchinson, Westwood for example in the spine of the team and looks a whole lot stronger 

1 hour ago, striker said:

Completely agree, there are arguably 12 established, presumably high earning players to choose from in my list, some of whom who could be sold to balance to books (if anyone will take them). Butterflied will go back at the end of the season which will save his wage and likely that Winnall will be one sold for £2-3m potentially?

Nothing wrong with selling to balance the books, it is something DC is going to have to manage better. 

I anticipate Winnall, FF (but at a much reduced fee than quoted last year given his injury)  will be the most likely sold, can see those out of contract being released and would understand if Swansea came sniffing round Bannan, Lee and Hooper. 

Swansea wont come for lee he never fit and cant see why we would sell fessi either .hooper is a good player but lucky to get 20 games a season out of him

2 hours ago, cookeh said:

Highlights for me that we need a right wing back.

Reach can go out left, Bannan into the middle and we have options at centerback until van Aken finds his feet.

Right back is where we would benefit the most from a step up in quality right now.

Clare was playing right wing back while he was on loan. Got some good reviews while in that position. Obviously a step up since then but he's taller and quicker than his competition in the squad if he does move there

2 hours ago, striker said:

OK, so we have to be mindful of FFP, but it is not all doom and gloom. Below is a reasonably competitive team (acknowledging some weak links) we could field with an average age around 24. 

Add in some options like Penney (19), Nielson (19), O'Grady (20) as back up. Established players like Palmer (26), Matias (28) and factor in some of the returning players like Lees (27), Bannan (28), Hutchinson (28), Hooper (29) and starts to look a whole lot better.

I have not even included the likes of Fletcher, Abdi, Loovens, Pudil, Wallace, Boyd, Jones, Lee, Jones, Butterfield, FF, Nuhiu, or Westood all of whom would contribute towards a significant saving on wages (at least) if needed. Not to advocate that we seek to move them all on, but in truth a good number of these have not been available for long periods over their SWFC careers, so can questions their value v contribution?

FFP aside, think we have reason to be optimistic for the future and looking forward to seeing how Jos reshapes this sqaud over the summer.

What kind of contract is Venancio on? End of season?

3 hours ago, room0035 said:

If we had to get rid of all the players we have signed for fees and play with free agents and kids. This is our squad to pick from based on our current squad

Goal Westwood (free), Wildsmith/Dawson (Youth)

Centre backs Lees (free), Loovens (free), Ogrady/ Neilson/Thorniley (youth)

Full backs Palmer/Penney/Baker (Youth)

Wingers Boyd (free), Wallace (free), Stobbs (youth)

Central midfield Hutch (free), Lee (free), Bannan (free), Clare (youth)

Strikers Nuihu (free), Hirst (Youth), Fletcher (free)

Fees paid - Hunt, Jones, Aken, Rhodes, Butterfield (Loan fee), Hooper, Joao, Matias, Reach, Pelupesy, Pudil, Fox, Abdi, Forestieri, Venancio (loan fee), Kean

I think a team of free and kids might not be a bad thing yes we lose Rhodes, Fessi, Hooper and Reach but with the above frees and youth we should be a mid table team all be it a bit weak in attack and on the wings.

No such thing as a free transfer in football.

Fletcher and Boyd would be able to negotiate a hefty signing on fee and very good wages with no transfer fee.

Its wages more then transfer fees that are a millstone round a clubs neck.

3 hours ago, striker said:

arrrhh my fkn eyes!!! Fox at left back...pass me the revolver matron i'm off for a long walk int woods, I may be some time