Jordan Thorniley : Success story

59 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

May play Friday as he didn't play for Under 23 today

Apparently Cup tied, but I'm pretty sure there is a rule regarding loan players returning to their parent club actually being eligible by "round". 

Have to wait and see what happens. 

We started this development squad a couple of years back for our own youngsters and picking up others who’ve been released and giving them another chance - Nielsen from Forest, Thorniley from Everton, Lavery from Ipswich etc...

Lavery has probably been the only real success story of those pick ups so far in that he contributed in the first team and we got an actual fee for him when we sold him on. 

Thorniley will I’ll hopefully be the second, either establishing himself in the team or being sold on at profit soon. 

Any others?

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Jordan Thorniley Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

The 2017/18 campaign has seen huge strides made by Jordan Thorniley.

In terms of first team experience, the defender has made significant progress and learned lessons that will stand him in excellent stead moving forward.

First up, a loan move to League Two side Accrington kick-started his season in September, where he made 17 appearances for the promotion hopefuls.

The 21-year-old returned to Hillsborough in January and made his senior bow for the Owls in last weekend’s 0-0 draw with Cardiff.

Delighted with his progress, Thorniley told the Owls’ official website:

“I was happy with how I played, you obviously have nerves going into a game like that, the first time playing in front of over 20,000 supporters, but I enjoyed it.

“I took a lot from my time at Accrington, for the most part while I was there we were competing in the top three and every week you are fighting for three points, a lot of responsibility, you want to please the fans, you want to be up there in the table.

“In the Cardiff game I felt like I grew more and more into the game and gained confidence as it went on.

“It felt great, this is what you work and train hard for every day. I think I did the manager proud, he put his faith in me.”

He added: “The manager took me to one side in the hotel before the game and told me I had earned the chance, to go out there and enjoy it and play my game.

“He’s given a lot of confidence to me and the other Under-23 boys. You know he is watching every day in training and if there are injuries in the team, you could be called up at any time.”

And following his debut on Saturday, the former Everton defender has thanked Owls fans for their kind words on social media, adding:

“I want to thank the Wednesday supporters for their kind words to me after the game.

“I tried to favourite a lot of the messages on Twitter but there were so many. It can be nervy, you want to impress but the fans were different class with me.”

100% a positive, in a poor season so far.

11 hours ago, Morepork said:

Breath of fresh air reading that. All of a sudden there's a massive incentive for these kids.

Correct. The door is now open for them to push through to the first team , after Carlos slammed it shut. 

13 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

We started this development squad a couple of years back for our own youngsters and picking up others who’ve been released and giving them another chance - Nielsen from Forest, Thorniley from Everton, Lavery from Ipswich etc...

Lavery has probably been the only real success story of those pick ups so far in that he contributed in the first team and we got an actual fee for him when we sold him on. 

Thorniley will I’ll hopefully be the second, either establishing himself in the team or being sold on at profit soon. 

Any others?

Some came close to playing for the first team and made he bench but moved on. Taylor McKenzie who we got from Norwich and Matt Young from Southampton both were unused subs.  Now in non league.  Adam Davies we got from Everton but moved on after a couple of years but is now Barnsleys number one.

2 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

Some came close to playing for the first team and made he bench but moved on. Taylor McKenzie who we got from Norwich and Matt Young from Southampton both were unused subs.  Now in non league.  Adam Davies we got from Everton but moved on after a couple of years but is now Barnsleys number one.

Yeah, basically we need to get a few fees in now and again for them to pay for the investment of signing the others - not sure there's been enough of this so far.

On 23/01/2018 at 13:01, N0rtherner said:

It's refreshing to see a manager come in and utilise the U23s in the first team, not just wear away the first team and occasionally have them guest on the u23s. It has provided us with valuable options while having so many injuries.

Lets be honest, it's not through choice lol