Sheffield Wednesday finances, contracts and players. Grab a cuppa and listen to this.

Guest Hillsborough Mole
9 hours ago, Morepork said:

Not much in there that we didn't know or couldn't make an educated guess at. I'd quite happily see us take the Brentford route although their Scouting Network and Youth Academy are very highly regarded

7 minutes ago, scram said:

Brentford don't have an academy

Was that something you knew, or took an educated guess about?

7 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Wolves seem to have got it right and should be fortunate enough to leave the championship behind at the first money blowing attempt.

I'm not sure if Wolves have been clever about it at all. It's just a different approach. They've absolutely blown the doors off financially and just put the foot down on the pedal from the off. It's paying off but it was a risk. 

We tried to be a bit cleverer about it. Our business in the first year, players like Hooper and Forrestieri for £3m each, was well thought out. Good players with proven quality at fee's that you obviously need money to be able to afford, but at the same time weren't outlandish for this level. 

Unfortunately such smarts didn't last. Like a lot of other things, as a club we seemed to lose our heads after Wembley. I stand by that criticism of Carlos wasn't a new thing exclusive to this season. People have been rightly so - and been shouted down for on here - asking lots of questions about where we were going as a club and what was going on with the transfers since the summer after Wembley, and many didn't let a second shot at the play-offs get in the way of such questions last year.

I take no pride in it and it's not a good thing, but I believe ignoring some of the issues last year is why this year seems to have slapped so many people around the face. There are people on this forum asking questions about elements of the club, who quite possibly criticised others for asking 18 months ago. 

Personally speaking, I wouldn't renew a single senior contract for at least the next two summers, even it means seeing good players leave for nothing. Our transfer business over the last two years has left us with an ageing, expensive and tired looking squad. It needs freshening up physically and mentally, and I'm encouraged by the early signs that Jos is already looking to do this. We absolutely need to learn from some of the wastage of the last 2 years and go again with the same vigour and strategy as our first season under Carlos.

On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 11:50, ramone said:

Not listened but surely its all just speculation... 

Exactly this.

Unless it come officially from the club, why bother wasting your life listening to it.

Not having a go at the producers or anything, but so much rumours and online pages of speculation.

Stick to the official swfc webpage for announcements.

1 minute ago, pride_of_the_road said:

Exactly this.

Unless it come officially from the club, why bother wasting your life listening to it.

Not having a go at the producers or anything, but so much rumours and online pages of speculation.

This was my point all along. Surely, without knowing individual contracts, you simply cant give any indication as to whether good with FFP or not.

17 minutes ago, Semedo's ferret said:

^^^ what can we take from the above? 

That they are a bunch of scruffy pigs. Grant Thornton et al may deduce a totally different story from those numbers tbf, but I don’t have my ACA qualification. 

Edited by vulva

4 hours ago, owls maniac said:

I think the ticket prices are untenable if we forecast being mid table for the next few years whilst we rebuild the team. 

Has a club ever reduced ticket prices in the same division? Genuine question, is there a precedent for this?

16 hours ago, steelowl said:

one fact that sticks in my throat is Leicester being 14th richest club in the world  

talk about flouting financial responsibility (twice)  paying off 

Totally agree! Everyone bangs on about how great it would be to pull off a "miracle" PL title win like  Leicester did in 2015/16, but it hardly gets mentioned that they "cheated" twice in the first place to get promotion to the top flight in this century.

Bournemouth were nearly as bad getting promoted despite showing "complete disregard" for FFP rules while other clubs tried to play by the book.

QPR did the same as Bournemouth but it backfired when they were quickly relegated. The same could well happen to Wolves next season - relying solely on one "super agent" for success is a recipe for disaster in my book. 

Edited by ReluctantNicko

38 minutes ago, pride_of_the_road said:

Exactly this.

Each to their own and everyone is free to make their own judgement but you simply cannot go through life ignoring speculation and conjecture because it has not come from an official source. Remember prior to last year that the official line regarding fire safety in tower blocks was that there was nothing to worry about? There are occasions when it is wise to harbour a little scepticism.

10 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Each to their own and everyone is free to make their own judgement but you simply cannot go through life ignoring speculation and conjecture because it has not come from an official source. Remember prior to last year that the official line regarding fire safety in tower blocks was that there was nothing to worry about? There are occasions when it is wise to harbour a little scepticism.

What has that got to do with football?

If you think hard, did the Blades "overspend" to buy promotion 10/12 years ago? Warnock was buying expensive strikers like Akinbiyi and Hulse like a kid in a sweetshop.

They managed to get to "the promised land" but it all went downhill when they were instantly relegated. More or less "belt-tightening" ever since.

A point at home to Wigan on the final day would have saved them.

"Margins,...."

Edited by ReluctantNicko

JUst listening.

At the part where he's saying that, we're not a big club un terms of spending.

We're about 8th and playing catch up.

I've been saying it for ages, when people are going on about how we should be top 2 or whatever.

Our expectations have been daft over the past few years.