Sheffield Wednesday finances, contracts and players. Grab a cuppa and listen to this.

3 minutes ago, Owlthekop said:

FFP is grossly unfair for clubs not in receipt of parachute payments. As seen by the likes of Villa and even Sunderland, that £40 million per year for three years (I know it reduces from £40 in year 2 and 3) is re invested in big players on big wages and not used to prop them up on their existing players wages from the premier league as it was intended. This gives those 6-9 clubs a huge financial head start over teams like Wednesday who've been in the Championship for a number of years. Clubs in receipt of parachute payments should ONLY be allowed to spend that money on existing wages and new transfers should have to be from matchday/merchandise/sponsorship money they generate. 

I get his comments about transfer fees spread over the length of their contract, but surely with players like Wallaceon a free, their £30 grand a week plus wages if they were released would save us millions in wages? 

If we don't get penalised wig FFP for infrastructure, such as training facilities (which Wednesdays are well known to be poor for this level) why have we not seen a huge input in cash to develop this area and attract better young players...a bit like Derbys excellent facilities?

I personally love DC and think without him we'd be screwed, but if PSG can pay nearly £400 for 2 players and not fall foul of FPP, surely there must be some way around our current financial situation?

I found the bit about training ground / academy infrastructure interesting and worrying. DC says he has plenty of brass but hands tied on playing side but why hasn't he invested it in the foundations of the club where ffp doesn't count?

Edited by owls101
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, owls101 said:

I found the bit about training ground / academy infrastructure interesting and worrying. DC says he has plenty of brass but hands tied on playing side but why hasn't he invested it in the foundations of the club where ffp doesn't count?

Agreed. That was of of the points I was raising...could the below par training facilities have had a bearing on our injury list?...I'd be interested to hear why we have to wait until promotion for a vast improvement in this area?...the only thing I can think of, is he plans to move the training ground to a purpose built site somewhere else, otherwise, if the Premier League is where he wants is, it'd be a no brainer to start now?

6 minutes ago, owls101 said:

Get Premier League

Move to new ground and training ground

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Get Premier League

Move to new ground and training ground

That's exactly my point. DC not fronting the cash  he's waiting  until we get premier league revenue. 

p.s and fyi don't mention a new ground. People get very annoyed at this 

Edited by owls101

13 minutes ago, owls101 said:

Can anyone think of a suitable new training ground location? Bear in mind if you were looking at Derby as a model they have about 12 full size pitches, indoor facilities etc.

just intrigued where people would suggest as I can’t think of anywhere that SCC would grant planning.

8 minutes ago, King_Monkey said:

Can anyone think of a suitable new training ground location? Bear in mind if you were looking at Derby as a model they have about 12 full size pitches, indoor facilities etc.

just intrigued where people would suggest as I can’t think of anywhere that SCC would grant planning.

Not off the top of my head but I'm sure scc would be all over it if it was in their  interest e.g  some sort of community element

4 hours ago, timrud said:

There is a toxic minority that jump at the chance to stick the knife to DC in at every oppertunity

As sure as eggs are eggs, sensible and well-reasoned criticism will be branded as "toxicity" on Owlstalk. 18 months ago it was those voicing concerns over the recruitment of many aging players on big contracts, now it's us sailing on the edge of FFP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the mighty wednesday said:

I think Jos is playing the U23's simply because he needed them to make up the numbers in training and they did ok. Consequently as we are short of bodies, especially at CB, he has decided to give them some game time.

I don't see it as anything to do with cutting costs.

Agree with this. Jos is getting loads of credit for playing the kids, but in reality he hasn't got any other option. If everyone was fit, the kids wouldn't get near the first team. 

Without knowing the ins and outs of when FFP came in looking at man city and the likes of Chelsea and the big clubs it's not that long since we were competing at that table. I know we were poorly run and threw away our place at the top table but it wasn't that long ago I recall going to a pre season friendly at Maine road when they had dropped down and we were in the PL. 

How have these clubs with the Arab money and Russian money managed to spend pretty much what they want. Assume it was how wealthy your backer was and then the doors were closed for,everyone else. 

It seems a million miles away does that promised land. 

7 minutes ago, steelowl said:

one fact that sticks in my throat is Leicester being 14th richest club in the world  

talk about flouting financial responsibility (twice)  paying off 

They timed their mismanagement to perfection. Went into admin before the 10 point deduction came in and haven't looked back since. 

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
3 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

One guy said that we are in a perilous position.

The other said DC needed to be more up front with our situation and we were up the creek if DC decides he's had enough.

One of them suggested KM was appointed as she had experience of a club downsizing when Charlton got relegated and that the appointment of Jos backed up this.

Like any club who's wealthy owners decide enough is enough they will be up S--t creek even Man City. 

People need to remember FFP doesn't mean we are skint, just bound by ridiculous restrictions. Especially when average players are being touted at 6 million (madine). Just means we tighten our belt for a couple of years, hence new CEO then we go again. 

Good podcast. We are at a crossroads regarding the future direction of the club.

Like the presenters I think we have decided to build at a steadier rate with Luhukay, Meire and younger players coming in.

The cost of tickets needs looking at though- if we're no longer bringing in top players and challenging at the top of the league they can't justify those prices.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Is this other people's understanding of the point about the club being worse off if we sell players?

Transfer fees are amortised (written off) over the term of the contract.
Example: 
Club pays 9m for a player on a 3 year contract.
Year 1 accounts=3m; Year 2 accounts=3m; Year 3 accounts=3m
Say the player is sold after year 1 for 5 million, there is still 6m of cost still on the books.
When the player is sold, even though there is 2 years left on the contract, the 'hit' of 6m happens in the current accounting year rather than being spread over 2.
That 6m is deducted from the 5m realised from the sale of the player.
So instead of having 5m to invest in the squad the club actually has an accounting loss of 1m as far as FFP is concerned.
So the club has sold the player but in the short term is actually worse off.

Yes but in years 2 and 3 you no longer have to charge the £3m cost or pay their wages.

So sell Rhodes. Year 1 pain more than offset by Years 2 and 3 gain.