Sheffield Wednesday finances, contracts and players. Grab a cuppa and listen to this.

Just means that there will have to be a season or two of "belt-tightening" like Forest had to do when Billy Davies splurged a fortune on 2/3 "near promotion misses".

Forest are consolidating quite nicely this season after a season or two of struggle. If I remember correctly they were "transfer embargoed" for breaching FFP.

Edited by ReluctantNicko

1 hour ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

In todays market we could still shift some of our players for a few million. Transfers fees are daft and plenty of bottom half premier league teams out there. I could see us flog the likes of Hooper, Fletcher, Bannan and FF to them. We didn't pay big transfer fees for them either.

The likes of Joao and Matias have plenty of years left and have value.

I will admit defeat on Abdi though and we got what we could out of Wallace.

David Jones could go to another championship team as well.

A clear out is possible although I wouldn't get rid of them all

problem with matias & joao is finding a club that can match there wages as well as pay a fee.....end of next season they can walk for free and pocket themselves a big signing on fee so I think it would be very difficult to get a return on them two . course they may hit there straps and make themselves attractive to another club so we can cash them in but I wouldn't be holding my breath on that happening .......same with jones who in the championship could give him a contract like he as here .. 

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

problem with matias & joao is finding a club that can match there wages as well as pay a fee.....end of next season they can walk for free and pocket themselves a big signing on fee so I think it would be very difficult to get a return on them two . course they may hit there straps and make themselves attractive to another club so we can cash them in but I wouldn't be holding my breath on that happening .......same with jones who in the championship could give him a contract like he as here .. 

I can see them getting short term deals  in the summer if they keep getting game time. Maybe I'm being too hopeful but I'll be a cheerful sod for once.

2 hours ago, ZIMMY said:

Talk about being a 'Drama Queen' their is not much wrong with our squad of players, and a good coach will be able to get us promoted, with out wasting £millions and risking an embargo, with a few adjustments like releasing players, who are not good enough, and giving some of the good younger one a chance, I am sure our new Coach knows what we will need. This league is not all its cracked up to be,the Sky PR people have done a good job in scaring fans to death, in telling them how hard it is, but at the end if the day its

Drama Queen!!!!!    

Totally agree with your comment about the quality of the league. Seen very little good football played at Hillsbrough this season by us or anyone else. 

Maybe just wishful thinking but its hard not to believe that even playing at 75% of the standard we were 2 years ago we'd not be close to winning the thing...

2 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

I can see them getting short term deals  in the summer if they keep getting game time. Maybe I'm being too hopeful but I'll be a cheerful sod for once.

forget that cheerful stuff mate , I tried it  once and it wernt for me .. 

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Thought that was a really interesting and intelligent discussion about the crossroads that the club finds itself at.

I'm a bit strange though that they talk for over an hour about FFP without mentioning Profitability and Sustainability, D Taxis or Elev 8 - or did I miss that bit?

Sobering. In summary, it's mainly player -trading that's the way up.

Yep, looks like any player with profit gotta go - the frees , plus Hoops and FF in Summer.

We might all be going Moneyball, ala Barnsley and Brentford.

Also , highlights DC's inexperience combined with initial over - enthusiam.

They also say - re sustainability- we need a new training centre but finding 50 acres aint easy.

And sounds like Doyen are toast (without their £10 squillions).

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Why would we not be facing an issue Paying over the odds for “past their sell buy date” players, with no resale value

Accumulating a huge squad, all on big contracts. Mismanagement at its worst

Yet the fans were made to feel responsible for being negative, raising issues at fans meetings and on social media, and ultimately helping to drive out the manager. Fact is this, we aren't daft. We knew all this could creep up on us. We could see that our extortionate ticket prices were funding a huge gamble that wasn't paying off, and a plan that was gaining more holes every week. Promotion is possible ( another 3 year plan) but by following a different plan to the one Chansiri sold us. The changes seen last few weeks might have cut Chansiri some slack from a fanbase agrieved at the mismanagement of swfc this past year or two. 

1 minute ago, Geoffrey said:

It was obvious in the summer that we had overspent but many experts on here were in denial to FFP. The club has been poorly run and some of you need to wake up to the fact.

Ok then

lol

No offence but your post sounds like you're holding a brown bag with a bottle in it shouting as bus stops in the city centre

Owlstalk Shop

28 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Thought that was a really interesting and intelligent discussion about the crossroads that the club finds itself at.

I'm a bit strange though that they talk for over an hour about FFP without mentioning Profitability and Sustainability, D Taxis or Elev 8 - or did I miss that bit?

They hinted very cleverly at a number of important things

Owlstalk Shop

16 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Liking your 'hit their straps' comment but like you, wouldn't hold my breath. I know positivity is the key word at the moment but one of 'em couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo most games and the other's so fragile he's likely to get blown over in a strong breeze... (neg away!)

Edited by Bleeder
Content

5 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Sobering. In summary, it's mainly player -trading that's the way up.

Yep, looks like any player with profit gotta go - the frees , plus Hoops and FF in Summer.

We might all be going Moneyball, ala Barnsley and Brentford.

Also , highlights DC's inexperience combined with initial over - enthusiam.

They also say - re sustainability- we need a new training centre but finding 50 acres aint easy.

And sounds like Doyen are toast (without their £10 squillions).

don't think it's meant to be taken as gospel ......

12 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

It was obvious in the summer that we had overspent but many experts on here were in denial to FFP. The club has been poorly run and some of you need to wake up to the fact.

Whilst I agree the club has been a tad up and down lately...

Should we rebel then Geoffrey ?, will you lead us ?.....:rolleyes:

chaaaaaaaaaaaaarge..

internet-mob-994x400.jpg

Edited by steveger
  • Haha 1

Is this other people's understanding of the point about the club being worse off if we sell players?

Transfer fees are amortised (written off) over the term of the contract.
Example: 
Club pays 9m for a player on a 3 year contract.
Year 1 accounts=3m; Year 2 accounts=3m; Year 3 accounts=3m
Say the player is sold after year 1 for 5 million, there is still 6m of cost still on the books.
When the player is sold, even though there is 2 years left on the contract, the 'hit' of 6m happens in the current accounting year rather than being spread over 2.
That 6m is deducted from the 5m realised from the sale of the player.
So instead of having 5m to invest in the squad the club actually has an accounting loss of 1m as far as FFP is concerned.
So the club has sold the player but in the short term is actually worse off.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Is this other people's understanding of the point about the club being worse off if we sell players?

Transfer fees are amortised (written off) over the term of the contract.
Example: 
Club pays 9m for a player on a 3 year contract.
Year 1 accounts=3m; Year 2 accounts=3m; Year 3 accounts=3m
Say the player is sold after year 1 for 5 million, there is still 6m of cost still on the books.
When the player is sold, even though there is 2 years left on the contract, the 'hit' of 6m happens in the current accounting year rather than being spread over 2.
That 6m is deducted from the 5m realised from the sale of the player.
So instead of having 5m to invest in the squad the club actually has an accounting loss of 1m as far as FFP is concerned.
So the club has sold the player but in the short term is actually worse off.

Nailed it

Owlstalk Shop

14 minutes ago, steveger said:

Whilst I agree the club has been a tad up and down lately...

Should we rebel then Geoffrey ?, will you lead us ?.....:rolleyes:

chaaaaaaaaaaaaarge..

I'm afraid that sounds too much like hooliganism for our Geoffreylol

• Haha 1

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

Fletcher, on paper, was a good signing.

It's just that we've not played in a manner to get the best from him.

Ditto Rhodes.

"That's one of the best signings I've ever seen on a piece of paper" commented Steve Fletcher when asked about his ludicrous 4 year contract.

1 hour ago, LiamAP22D said:

Anyone post a summary, wont be listening.

If you're not prepared to invest your time in listening, why would you expect that someone who has taken the time to listen, then, take even more time to summarize the whole thing for you.:picnic: