Sheffield Wednesday finances, contracts and players. Grab a cuppa and listen to this.

Very good and informative that.

Should be compulsory listening to all Wednesdayites, and any individual that gets stroppy about us not being in the top 6 every year, should be made to listen again and again til they understand our club's reality and learn to appreciate any good, overachieving, Seasons we have. lol 

Only thing that grated, slightly, was he kept mentioning out revenue in 15/16, and how big that was. I doubt that we'll repeat that anytime soon, we had a Wembley final and sold 3 year Season Tickets.

50 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

JUst listening.

At the part where he's saying that, we're not a big club un terms of spending.

We're about 8th and playing catch up.

I've been saying it for ages, when people are going on about how we should be top 2 or whatever.

Our expectations have been daft over the past few years

Think club made a rod for its own back with the ticket prices. As soon as you start charging highest prices in the league then many people are not going to accept being mid table.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think club made a rod for its own back with the ticket prices. As soon as you start charging highest prices in the league then many people are not going to accept being mid table.

Yeah definitely didn't help.

It's like they say in the Podcast, maybe Mr C needs to be more open about the reality of our situation and why he needs to increase revenue and can't do it all alone.

Maybe he assumes we all know and understand FFP?

1 hour ago, Donny.Owl said:

JUst listening.

At the part where he's saying that, we're not a big club un terms of spending.

We're about 8th and playing catch up.

I've been saying it for ages, when people are going on about how we should be top 2 or whatever.

Our expectations have been daft over the past few years. 

True - but what sticks in the craw a little is that we should be better at generating income to spend. We (grudgingly) make a decent amount on match day tickets but for a fan base of our size in a reasonably large city our other income and commercial side is woefully short and with very little sign of improvement. If that was addressed we may be able to spend more - or at least lessen the burden on ticket income. 

In short - I would argue we are in the 'biggest' 8 clubs in many respects - so why has spending the eighth highest put us in financial difficulty? 

14 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

True - but what sticks in the craw a little is that we should be better at generating income to spend. We (grudgingly) make a decent amount on match day tickets but for a fan base of our size in a reasonably large city our other income and commercial side is woefully short and with very little sign of improvement. If that was addressed we may be able to spend more - or at least lessen the burden on ticket income. 

In short - I would argue we are in the 'biggest' 8 clubs in many respects - so why has spending the eighth highest put us in financial difficulty? 

Have you changed your mind and listened? :Chansiri:

3 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Fans with loads of experience as a punter should realise that your chances of seeing a 'Goon Match' have little correlation to the quality of player on the pitch.

Crowds and revenue need to be maintained at the highest possible level IMO.

You're absolutely right they need to be maintained. But there's a chance here that we may have to rebuild and not challenge at the top next season. If we sell some of the top players we aren't going to find it easy to get in the top 6 next year. If Likes of Van Aken, Pelupessy and any others take as long to bed in as Reach or Venancio then that's even more likely.

Fans will be less inclined to go then at £35 - 40 a ticket.

5 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

No - still not listened but unfortunately let my imagination run away with me. 

I would make a rubbish ostrich. 

lol

Give it a listen, it's not depressing. Just realistic.

They explain it all much better than I could.

Ive listened, I'm no expert, but it does rather sound like we we wasted a chance by losing at wembley...All the eggs in one basket chasing a promise that didn't lead to fruition.

Now, from what I can glean , we go back to the drawing board to a certain extent, So what didn't work?

Well the eggs in the basket didn't...That was plan A....Smaller basket fewer eggs?...didn't work....Plan B

So now its forget the basket..sell the f.ookin' eggs..get a box?

Its "patience" again....How long are the fans going to keep patience paying these prices?...I dunno...I go anyhow , but I'm approaching the limit I can afford..There must be more who are...

What are the options for the rest...Migrate from the North an' south to the Kop?....To get it cheaper and still watch The Owls...I'm already on the Kop..My next migration is sat on a wall on Penistone.

If the price of a season ticket goes up by much next year...I'm binning SKY to fund a Wednesday ticket...My choice...( I feel a little dirty still watching SKY cos I blame them for half the crap that is affecting supporters who actually attend...Prices...f.ookin' about with kick off times etc..So I might find that cathartic to a certain extent)...but after that me financial options are limited.

It seems ludicrous that we have a chairman who wants to put money in, but seemingly isn't allowed to?..Hows that f.ookin' work ?..Not only how does it work, but how fair is it?

Chelsea rise from nowhere on the whim of a Russian Billionaire..Go from being skint to European champions...

Man City in one "Sheik of a lambs tail" go from a joke to winning the league and spaffing fortunes on players.

Wednesday get someone with money...The rules change...Well thanks a f.ookin' million....

Parachute payments?..A club actually f.ooks up and gets rewarded for it?...Goes down with a massive advantage over half a bloody division that have been trying to do it the right way?..Wheres the sodding justice?

ALL of this to reach the Premiership...and when we get there?

The aim is to stay in it..Tell that to yer f.ookin' Grandad

"Hows The Wednesday doin' lad"

"Alreight Grandad..Still in the top division"

"Won owt?"

"Beat Liverpool at home and drew with Arsenal away...big match is against Stoke though..."

I mean FFS!!!

Survival in this f.ookfest is the main aim of 80% of the clubs scrabblin' about in it?..Its money..its hardly got owt to do with sport on a level playing field anymore...

I hate it, but can't seem to give it up..Is there a f.ookin' clinic I could go to?

Sorry to whitter on...............

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paddy NYC Owl said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Our new podcast is live now in all good podcast apps or you can stream it on soundcloud below. We've got an interview with James O' Connor, ex Wednesday midlfielder, who won the US 2nd division championship last year with Louisville City.

Heard it..V Good...Had to google the JOC song though lol....couldn't remember it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vulture_squadron said:

You're absolutely right they need to be maintained. But there's a chance here that we may have to rebuild and not challenge at the top next season. If we sell some of the top players we aren't going to find it easy to get in the top 6 next year. If Likes of Van Aken, Pelupessy and any others take as long to bed in as Reach or Venancio then that's even more likely.

Fans will be less inclined to go then at £35 - 40 a ticket.

ST sales represent somewhere close to 90% of sales so some of those disinclined to POTG may choose to take up a ST.

Just now, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

ST sales represent somewhere close to 90% of sales so some of those disinclined to POTG may choose to take up a ST.

I dunno..I think most of those who POTG have a reason for doing so..Maybe work restrictions, maybe geographical, probably financial  I dunno..but theres a reason they do.

Its far more likely that existing season ticket holders say "F.ook it" and become POTG fans....Thats the road to diminishing our fan base In my opinion...Cos come a cold Tuesday evening against QPR....The option to say "F.ook that" can become very appealing

40 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

ALL of this to reach the Premiership...and when we get there?

The aim is to stay in it..Tell that to yer f.ookin' Grandad

"Hows The Wednesday doin' lad"

"Alreight Grandad..Still in the top division"

"Won owt?"

"Beat Liverpool at home and drew with Arsenal away...big match is against Stoke though..."

I mean FFS!!!

Survival in this f.ookfest is the main aim of 80% of the clubs scrabblin' about in it?..Its money..its hardly got owt to do with sport on a level playing field anymore...

I hate it, but can't seem to give it up..Is there a f.ookin' clinic I could go to?

Sorry to whitter on...............

Sort of sums it up for me.

I’m desperate for promotion until I think about what awaits us. Cannon fodder for the CL cartel,

I don’t even watch PL football anymore, and it’s free here! And I’m from Yorkshire!

5 hours ago, scram said:

Brentford don't have an academy

Thanks for pointing that out lol It seems they closed it in 2016..... Although it's kind of academic to the point I was making though as it was about reputation, so let's call it Youth System. I'm fairly certain they do still have a solid reputation in the game for developing youth.

5 hours ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Was that something you knew, or took an educated guess about?

There's a section the book "The Nowhere Men" by Michael Calvin which I read a couple of weeks ago, it's about Football Scouts and there's a small section about Brentford's Academy, unfortunately, it was written in 2013...... lol

1 minute ago, NYCOWL said:

Sort of sums it up for me.

I’m desperate for promotion until I think about what awaits us. Cannon fodder for the CL cartel,

I don’t even watch PL football anymore, and it’s free here! And I’m from Yorkshire!

Me neither mate..The only thing I would miss on SKY is the cricket, and even then Test match special is a better listen.

Its like climbing a ladder knowing you are only gonna get 14ft from the top..Whats the point of getting on the 10th rung?

To laugh at those on the 14th..To admire those on the 6th?

Maybe its an age thing

You watch the "Premiership years" on SKY..Its a long litany of folk scorin' against US for the most part!..bloody depressing apart from the odd Waddle/Carbone/Di canio pushin' a ref over

You listen to the radio and its a bloody remix of Wenger stayin' Wenger goin'....Jose is poutin' Jose isn't poutin'..A total soap opera of the same characters doin' the same thing, over and over and over again.

The games not a game anymore..its a bloody show

and you feel an absolute idiot for wanting to hear "THe Wednesday" on that sodding show you hate...but sadly..

You can't seem to help yerself lol