Sign in to follow this  
@owlstalk

Loovens back in the mix

Glenn Loovens will be available for selection on Friday as the Owls host Reading in the fourth round of the Emirates FA Cup.

The Owls skipper was dismissed in the Sheffield derby earlier this month and has since served a two-match suspension.

Wednesday progressed with a 2-0 victory over Carlisle in the third round replay at Hillsborough last week.

The Royals advanced in the competition with a 3-0 win over Stevenage in their replay at The Madejski.

Great servant and all that but would prefer to see us stick with the young un's, especially in the cup!! Jos will make the correct decision either way.

Edited by Morepork

His weaknesses are getting exposed more with each game that passes, the best teams and best managers are ruthless so it's important we don't become a soft touch club just because a certain player has been here a while.

1 minute ago, Hutch's biscuit knee said:

His weaknesses are getting exposed more with each game that passes, the best teams and best managers are ruthless so it's important we don't become a soft touch club just because a certain player has been here a while.

Yep, his loss of pace has reached a tipping point, also his timing in the challenge has become a liability, unfortunately. Leader in the dressing room is his primary role for the remainder of this season IMO.

I'd play him in this one.  See how he does alongside Pudil and Venancio.  He was unlucky to be red carded in the derby in my opinion 

26 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I'd play him in this one.  See how he does alongside Pudil and Venancio.  He was unlucky to be red carded in the derby in my opinion 

I would have to disagree. The first one was inexcusable for an experienced defender. Even though he does stumble for the second, it is just such lethargic and amateurish play from him. 

Doesn't deserve to start after the performances of the youngsters 

Players need resting anyway.  I'd argue that the cup game is the perfect time to play him.  I guarantee he will start especially with Thorniley cup tied.

No one should deny how well the young ones have done In his absence, but let’s be reyt no one can deny that in terms of experience, leadership and quality, Loovens should start. That said, Luhukay might keep faith and maintain his philosophy that you play on merit.  

Edited by AwokenGiant

55 minutes ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

I would have to disagree. The first one was inexcusable for an experienced defender. Even though he does stumble for the second, it is just such lethargic and amateurish play from him. 

Exactly , the second was accidental , he got his studs caught in the turf . Having said that , it’s this kid of clumsiness that happens week in week out with him . Good servant , now a liability . Shouldn’t be In the first team anymore 

He needs to be given a chance under Jos.   Let’s not write him off yet. He may be fine in a back three. I’m sure that Jos is experienced enough to make the decision to leave out Loovens based upon current ability. 

Stop pelupessying about,  Loovens next appearance should only be for a play-off or FA cup final dance jig.. Anybody would think your joost aken to see him play CB again.... 

Jossy will know what to do.

I'd be happy to see him turn out against Reading but even with injuries to our defence he shouldn't get in the league team at this moment for me.

Venancio is the new defensive leader with Pudil and one of our youth options the other side of him.

I'd keep him out of the mix. Great servant for the club but Jos should give him a coaching role and ask him politely to hang up his playing boots. A hat-trick of red cards won't be far away if not.

Maybe he's not been fit like the rest of the squad. Yes he's not the fastest but I think he was a little unlucky against Utd, the second one his studs caught in the turf causing him to stumble and it wasn't yellow for me.  I still expect him to be an important part of the team under Jos although I am pleased that the kids are given a chance.