jfr142

Jordan Rhodes - Disaster

4 minutes ago, Oliver Cromwell said:

He scuffed virtually every shot in the warm up in front of the North, his timing is way off. Same for the header. I think he is trying too hard and not doing what came instinctively previously.

He needs to work with a good sports psychologist.

Yes don’t think he scored once in the warm up so no real surprise when he fluffed his lines in the game.

Needs dropping as he shouldn’t be rewarded with another start for yet another poor performance. Imagine the abuse Nuhiu would get it he missed two sitters!

1 minute ago, Tapeworm said:

Yes don’t think he scored once in the warm up so no real surprise when he fluffed his lines in the game.

Needs dropping as he shouldn’t be rewarded with another start for yet another poor performance. Imagine the abuse Nuhiu would get it he missed two sitters!

Wouldn’t call his performance poor on Saturday, felt for his limitations in linking play up he did quite well. Snatched a little at the big chance but least he is getting into those areas now. Goals might start to come for him 

4 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

Even in his best form Rhodes was never considered good enough for a Premier League gig and has also been dropped out of a very poor Scotland squad

To be fair that was because Strachan wanted to play 1 man up front and if you're looking for someone to be big, strong , hold a ball or make chances for themselves then Rhodes isn't that guy. He didn't suit how the manager wanted to play, but Strachan always had only good things to say about Rhodes, just that he didn't fit the style.

"Disaster"?

That's a little harsh. 

I wold like us to use Matias more and see what happens. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, pachyderm said:

"Disaster"?

That's a little harsh. 

I would like us to use Matias more and see what happens. 

21 minutes ago, Tapeworm said:

He played really well other than the one header which he misjudged the curl on as it came in.

That's hardly ground for bombing him out of the team.

Strange that you don't want Joao dropped despite him missing the 2 easiest chances of the game (both made by Rhodes).

• Agree 5

Rhodes has been disappointing - but I thought he had a decent game on Saturday.

Yes, he could have scored 2, but just like Joao - he got one on target, and forced the goalie into a good save on the other. In fact, on another day he may have been a contender for MOTM - he could quite easily have claimed 3 assists, if others had taken their chances. If other players chipped in a bit more, there wouldn't be as much pressure on the lad to score with every single touch.

• Agree 3

oops. went to edit and hit quote instead.. my bad. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

Rhodes all round play was really good on Saturday. He bought others into play well, and did a lot of good work outside the box... He sort of had to, because we really were poor in terms of delivery.

How many players put a good cross in in the entire game?  Jones with the free kick.. and Rhodes himself. Other than that all our balls in were really poor, step forward Morgan Fox with his 3 efforts to deliver, the third of which ended up just being a frustrated hoof out of play. He wasn't alone tho.. Wallace didn't put a good cross in all day and neither did Palmer. I guess Reach had one good cross, but he picked out Morgan Fox on the right wing.. so.. kind of a waste a soon as the cross went in.

The best chances were really the two strikers playing each other in. Joao slotting thru to Rhodes who got a good save from the keeper, with Reach missing the open goal after.. and Rhodes cross to Joao at the back post for what should have been a simple header and a certain goal.

Rhodes was offering all game long, on the shoulder of people, or working an angle, but we very rarely used it. Instead we did things like delay and play sideways, or shoot over from distance. The midfield is really the issue, not Rhodes.

I also find it interesting that after a game where Joao missed probably 3 easy goals, the first reaction is to want Rhodes out. Agenda rather than actually paying attention tbh.

For starters, how much did Joao cost. Rhodes was brought in purely for his goal scoring record at previous clubs. The fact is that he isn't scoring and that poses a serious problem to Wednesday after investing an hefty amount in him. Transfer cost, wages and length of contract. It doesn't matter what the likes of Joao etc are doing around him, its what Rhodes isn't doing and he as no where near started to pay off for the invested Wednesday have put into it for him and no sign whatsoever he will.. Go ahead folks neg away, but can anyone give a good case for Rhodes and the future with him. All those who have negged me in previous posts about him still haven't come up with a counter argument.

We here the same old claptrap about we are not playing to his strengths etc etc. What is his strengths because I really cant see any. What I can see is gilt edge opportunities being missed on a match by match basis. Please correct if I'm wrong, but in Wednesday's current position, does anyone on here think we can afford such luxury. I suppose at the end of the day he probably is a nice chap, and applauds the fans and the sub who generally comes on for him. Be nice to see a few goals from our record signing. By the way pal, just because I have an opinion on Rhodes doesn't mean I have an agenda. What do you mean by 'paying attention' Don't get that part.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Stupidity at it’s finest.

Rhodes’ goalscoring record is first class. Rhodes hasn’t stopped scoring because he’s crap, it’s because of the lack of chances. Okay, he should have done better the other night, however the kid is extremely low on confidence. CC never played him and the football we play doesn’t suit him. He’s a box striker, and we don’t supply him. The goal against Norwich is what he’s about, not big big boot up

• Agree 5

I've got to say, in all the years I've been watching football, the curious case of Jordan Rhodes baffles me.

We've all seen strikers lose confidence and go through dry patches, it happens to everyone. It's understandable.

We've all see strikers just not gel at certain clubs, again it happens.

But I've never seen a striker look to have lost all his ability and skill.

Just watching him in the warm ups the last two games has been sad watching.

Against Burton:

Simple exercise, the coach bounces the ball, you hit in on the volley.

Rhodes just couldn't connect with the ball, his technique was like a 10 year old just learning the strike a ball.

When he did connect it floated in to the KOP.

Against Cardiff:

He didn't score one shot in the warm up, most of the shots/chances he was given are 10 yards out, he missed the target 50% of the time. The time she hit the target they the ball just rolled to Dawson.

It's genuinely baffling.

We've all played football, whether it be in a field or at a higher level, we've all fluffed chances, but I've never lost my ability to strike a ball cleanly every kick. In a warm up, with no pressure from anyone, just hit the target, strike the ball clean....it's very very simple. At the minute he can't even do that.

It reminds me of space jam, when the aliens take all the NBA stars ability.

It's a sad sight, I do feel sorry for the lad.

• Agree 1

Guest RocketOwl
21 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

I've got to say, in all the years I've been watching football, the curious case of Jordan Rhodes baffles me.

We've all seen strikers lose confidence and go through dry patches, it happens to everyone. It's understandable.

Against Burton:

Rhodes just couldn't connect with the ball, his technique was like a 10 year old just learning the strike a ball.

Against Cardiff:

He didn't score one shot in the warm up, most of the shots/chances he was given are 10 yards out, he missed the target 50% of the time. The time she hit the target they the ball just rolled to Dawson.

It's genuinely baffling.

We've all played football, whether it be in a field or at a higher level, we've all fluffed chances, but I've never lost my ability to strike a ball cleanly every kick. In a warm up, with no pressure from anyone, just hit the target, strike the ball clean....it's very very simple. At the minute he can't even do that.

It is sad.

Rhodes was never lightening but he wasn't as slow as he is now.

29 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

Against Burton:

Against Cardiff:

It's genuinely baffling.

Yet saying all that he starts the games !

Guest RocketOwl
1 minute ago, Watto said:

Yet saying all that he starts the games !

That's the Annoying thing! Not doing his fragile confidence any favours.

Apologies if Pope posted this but think it hits the nail on the head.

http://www.sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=518720

We need to get the lad scoring nkw simple as. If we try to flog him now we risk bankrupting ourselves as no one will pay a good price. Seems to me him and Joao are starting to get chances now and setting each other up. Yeah they blew it against Cardiff but hopefully their partnership will improve. At the moment we're not looking like relegation fodder so let's show some faith and try to stay positive.

He must be looking OK in training during the week or our new gaffer wouldn't keep putting him in 

Yes he's been disappointing but this seasons a write off now so lets get behind the lad encourage him every time he gets the ball even If he fluffs his lines and lets do our bit to get him back on track for next year 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, vulture_squadron said:

Apologies if Pope posted this but think it hits the nail on the head.

http://www.sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=518720

We need to get the lad scoring nkw simple as. If we try to flog him now we risk bankrupting ourselves as no one will pay a good price. Seems to me him and Joao are starting to get chances now and setting each other up. Yeah they blew it against Cardiff but hopefully their partnership will improve. At the moment we're not looking like relegation fodder so let's show some faith and try to stay positive.

Disagree slightly as I think we are in a relegation battle, and although I think we should keep Rhodes and work on his confidence, I think we badly need another striker to join to help in our fight against relegation. If, the likes of Hooper, Fletcher, Forestieri are all going to be missing for another month or more.

Im getting a little disillusioned whenever Nuhiu is being brought on as I feel he’s a bit of a game stopper. 

If Jos can find a decent striker in Germany or Holland I would welcome it. 

Edited by Southie_Owl

On 20/01/2018 at 19:30, BigOwl said:

Forced keeper to save and Reach should have buried the second ball

Rhodes chance was far easier than Reach's follow up

On 20/01/2018 at 19:23, @owlstalk said:

He'll come good

Just needs a goal and a bit of patience from the fans as he learns the new tactics from Jos

How long we been saying that? He's had a decent run & missed bags of chances! If he contributed in other ways it'd be easier to accept. I hope he does come good but I doubt it'll happen

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, CLswfc said:

For starters, how much did Joao cost. Rhodes was brought in purely for his goal scoring record at previous clubs. The fact is that he isn't scoring and that poses a serious problem to Wednesday after investing an hefty amount in him. Transfer cost, wages and length of contract. It doesn't matter what the likes of Joao etc are doing around him, its what Rhodes isn't doing and he as no where near started to pay off for the invested Wednesday have put into it for him and no sign whatsoever he will.. Go ahead folks neg away, but can anyone give a good case for Rhodes and the future with him. All those who have negged me in previous posts about him still haven't come up with a counter argument.

We here the same old claptrap about we are not playing to his strengths etc etc. What is his strengths because I really cant see any. What I can see is gilt edge opportunities being missed on a match by match basis. Please correct if I'm wrong, but in Wednesday's current position, does anyone on here think we can afford such luxury. I suppose at the end of the day he probably is a nice chap, and applauds the fans and the sub who generally comes on for him. Be nice to see a few goals from our record signing. By the way pal, just because I have an opinion on Rhodes doesn't mean I have an agenda. What do you mean by 'paying attention' Don't get that part.

Mentioning Joao is perfectly valid, because if Hooper was fit and on the end of those two chances that Joao had, then we'd have 2 goals. They were simple, 'score in your sleep' type chances, and had they been scored then Rhodes comes away from the game with 2 assist and you can't make your salty posts. Judge Rhodes for what he does in the game. He can't make Joao scored those chances, but Joao really should have done so.

If you want someone to make the case for Rhodes, then I'm perfectly happy to.

1) Rhodes hasn't had much of an opportunity this season (but when he has he's scored).

If you look at the games under Carlos this season, Rhodes was mostly used as a substitute.

He played over an hour in just 8 games and scored 5 goals in those 8 games.

Isn't that exactly the sort of return you'd want from him, that's heading for 30 goals a season if he did it over 46 games.

That Rhodes plays well when he starts and poorly when he is a sub is painfully obvious.

Some will complain "but he's played 27 games this season"..

and sure, he has played IN 27 games this season. but 10 of those were for about 20 minutes or less.

To give you a real idea of how little Rhodes has actually played, Hooper has been out for a month and has still spent 45% more time on the pitch than Rhodes has.

So, you think he's played a lot. He hasn't. But he's scored goals when he has.

2) Selling Rhodes now is foolish.

Getting rid of Rhodes now would be ridiculous. We have a new manager and a new start for everyone. Joao suddenly looks a better team player than he was before. Matias looks like he might be a dangerous player and should maybe be starting. Fox doesn't look like he's never seen a football before. Venancio looks like an accomplished defender. Pudil looks a pretty decent core in central defence. Jones looks sharper and much more involved. All these players have improved under Jos, I would argue Rhodes has as well (bearing in mind the two easy goals he set up on Saturday), and there is doubtless more to come from all these players as the squad gets back to fitness and we adopt a more attacking system/personnel rather than just using the dozen players available to try and stop the rot. Rhodes has proved at other clubs, under other managers, that he can bang goals in for fun. Carlos and Rhodes wasn't a good match. Jos seems like a very different guy from Carlos, so let's see if he can get the most from Rhodes. If he's only scored 2 goals between now and the summer I might see a case for selling. Not now tho.

3) Performances under Jos.

Under Jos, we've been playing a very defensive formation, with the players cobbled together from what was available. As i recall Jos said we had 13 fit senior players recently. That's not going to make for cohesive attacking football. The supply to the front men has been pretty poor in the 2 league games.

Still, Rhodes has been working hard and offering, even making things happen himself then the opportunity presents itself.

If you want the United highlights, Rhodes makes a great run across the centerbacks when Palmer cuts in-field. Palmer doesn't use him tho and slots it sideways to Reach who tries to score from 25 yards. Perhaps it's left over from Carlos, but we seem to have this culture of shooting from distance, looking for a worldy, which rarely comes off. Joao, Pudil and Wallace also opt to shoot from distance instead of deliver it or look for a better opportunity. 
You can usually see Rhodes positioned to dart infront of his man should a ball come in tho.. we just don't put many quality balls into the box. Mostly they're aimless crosses, often straight onto the head of defenders, no where near our forwards.

Against Cardiff, Rhodes was one of our best players tbh.

His 1st touch and lay off for Reach early doors was superb and ended up getting Grujic booked, limiting what he could do for the rest of the game.

He then linked up well with Reach on the right and puts a good ball into the back post, but Fox doesn't attack it.

He's in a good position when Joao squares to Wallace and Wallace should have carried the ball, going 2v1 with Rhodes and player him in.. but tries a worldy instead.

For the ball in from Jones (probably the only ball anywhere near him from anyone all day) he does well, sprints forward too fast, which is what looses his man, then backpedals a little so he's got a free header, but he's gone a tiny bit too far and can't keep it down. A bit unlucky, losing the man made the header harder, but it was that or be contested at the header. If we gave him more than one of these he'd score one.

Makes a great run off the defender when Joao puts him thru, and gets a good shot away. The keeper does well to get something on it, and Reach should slot into a half empty net afterwards. It's not easy to get that shot away when it's behind you like that, but Rhodes does well and we really should have been 1-0 up with the rebound.

Was alive to the loose ball and slots in Joao really well 1v1.. How Joao misses we'll never know. The 2nd goal that should have been due to Rhodes.

Turned Bamba superbly to cross to Joao at the back post for the easiest chance of the game. Again.. how Joao's missed it in a mystery. Really poor finishing. Should have been the 3rd Goal Rhodes made that day.

So overall, Rhodes was our most creative player on the day. 3 clear cut chances for teammates. Of course we want to see Rhodes on the end of the chances, not making them, but since no one else if doing the job, Rhodes has to. We also saw him working back into our own half and defending, so for me that puts pay to the idea that he's not a team player, is lazy, doesnt have the workrate, only knows how to score.

Hopefully as we get more attack minded players back and the side starts to have some more balance to it, rather than just being the best we can do with whats available, then others will start providing for Rhodes and he can get on the scoresheet. Fans who watched the game should be happy with him after Saturday.. but getting on the scoresheet regularly will make the guys who just complain on the forums happy too. For now he's putting in a shift and making things happen.

It is evident that he and Joao need time together up front if they're to be a real pairing. There were several times during the Cardiff game that Joao ran across Rhodes, or took up a position too close or infront of him. Joao's awareness off where Rhodes is seems pretty poor, he need to get his head up more. That said, they've barely played together and need to develop an understanding if we're going to continue with them.

So there you go. There's a defense of Rhodes. The Rhodes of right now, under Jos. I've no interest in complaining about him last season or earlier this season when he played 10 minutes under Carlos. There's no value in that. But if you're watching games and watching what Rhodes does, rather than just looking in the 'goals for' column the day after the game, then it should be apparent that he's making a contribution and deserves a place in the team.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1