The Rhodes/Joao partnership

Pretty sure that the derby was one of the first times these two had played together. They looked ok that night but nothing to shout about.

Fast forward a week to tonight's performance and the difference was incredible. Both missed great chances but they worked really well together and I think it's a partnership to build on.

Really promising stuff from the new manager and both players.

UTO

17 minutes ago, Owly Mowly said:

I thought when Matias came on, his threat with trickery and pace looked threatening with a tiring joao. I think they would be a dangerous pairing 

Too right, Joao and Matias look the best available at present. 

Get there early watch the shooting practise  in the warm ups. Matias hits the back of the net .Rhodes rarely does

Can Matias stay fit long enough to prove it in a few consecutive games though?

1 hour ago, poite said:

Pretty sure that the derby was one of the first times these two had played together. They looked ok that night but nothing to shout about.

Fast forward a week to tonight's performance and the difference was incredible. Both missed great chances but they worked really well together and I think it's a partnership to build on.

Really promising stuff from the new manager and both players.

UTO

Well said, could easily have had 3 goals between them today, worked well together.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Would much rather it be Hooper and Joao though.

Would rather it was Hooper and Forestieri myself!

Joao needs to work on his reactions to things not coming off. It’s a head thing...but he’s young. Two balls he played through to Rhodes and Mathias were outstanding.

Wallace not good on the right (again)...never once did I hear (ever) “Chris Waddle, he’s got a sublime right foot...let’s put him on the left wing”

Pudil was outstanding at CB. As good as Lees and better than Loovens.

Warnock talks testicles...his top three team looked very ordinary and played crap.

We just lack confidence in front of goal...it’ll come back once we play more freely...at least we weren’t side to side tonight

50 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

Wallace not good on the right (again)...never once did I hear (ever) “Chris Waddle, he’s got a sublime right foot...let’s put him on the left wing”

Of course you wouldn't hear that: Waddle was a left-footer who predominantly played on the right, where he could cut in onto his stronger foot.

On 21/01/2018 at 07:13, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Of course you wouldn't hear that: Waddle was a left-footer who predominantly played on the right, where he could cut in onto his stronger foot.

A good point well made...but he played on the right and crossed 90% of the time with his right. Scored loads with his right and a few with his left. I'll ask him next time I see him at the shops

I think Joao is the number one starter, or should be Who partners him? None of the current options are particularly convincing His ideal partners would be Hooper, or Forestieri Maybe I’d like to see Joao and Matias given a run out, but although they’d be good on the counter attack, they might be a little lightweight as a pairing However, Rhodes, although standing over six foot, doesn’t exactly have a physical presence Neither does he have the skill or pace of Matias Where he “scores” over Matias, is his finishing, but that seems to have deserted him. Nuhiu has physical presence, holds the ball up, and ironically, has been the most prolific under Jos 

So, none of the options are ideal, so it’s probably worth persisting with Joao/Rhodes for the time being, or at least until we get Hooper and Forestieri back Unless of course, we bring someone in this week

On 1/21/2018 at 07:04, owls101 said:

Joao has talent but will never make it to be a top player....too casual, doesn't want it enough and couldn't finish  his dinner

You sound like an Ozil basher. Not everyone looks like they are busting themselves at all times even when they are. His control and passing end product has been excellent. His strikerate needs improving but hit the net once and things can change quickly.

17 minutes ago, Pulixifer said:

You sound like an Ozil basher. Not everyone looks like they are busting themselves at all times even when they are. His control and passing end product has been excellent. His strikerate needs improving but hit the net once and things can change quickly.

And his two recent finishes, against Forest and the piggies, were of the highest order, sublime and emphatic finishing

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc

Signs of a pairing developing. I am expecting them to start tomorrow. LJ isn't the best decision maker but JR is an intelligent player and I think will work better alongside him out of the current fit options.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc