Colin: "I can't see them scoring... this season"

13 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Not being funny but we had 4 sitters and a couple of good chances. Most games we would have had a couple so Colin is talking his usual tripe.

Should have won.

Bloke on Sky with Prutton reckoned we deserved the win on our 2nd half display 

3 hours ago, The Captain said:

I don’t blame him for everything.  But I really wish we had parted ways last summer.

The chairman is responsible for standing by a failing head coach for so long, and for giving the ‘green light’ to CC’s flawed and wasteful recruitment since Wembley.  That’s what is going to screw us for the next couple of years - lengthy expensive contracts dished out to several players in the autumns of their careers, who I believe we are going to struggle to move off the wage bill.

But this season, Wednesday aren’t even close to the playoffs (and haven’t been since late October), despite having one of the best squads in the division.  That’s not good enough.  IMO this is mainly because of Carvalhal’s failings in terms of tactics, getting player’s fitness up to scratch, man-management, recruitment, and utilising the squad’s abilities.

The number of significant injuries we have had this season can surely be no coincidence.  And the lack of basic fitness that we have had this season is surely CC’s biggest failing - there will be a link between the two.  I believe that is one of the biggest reasons for our ‘no-show’ of a season.  The long-term affects of so many injuries are yet to be played out.

Hopefully we will get some of our injured players returning sooner than later.  If we have to play out the rest of the season with just the players that we have currently available, we will be in a relegation battle, unless Jos really does over-perform with the players he has.

CC wasn't responsible for recruitment and given our abysmal failure on this front last summer I think CC would agree he should have left last summer.

The fitness situation is being massively overstated on here - we've matched our opposition in the last two games proving it has been more a case of desire of our players rather than their fitness.

1 hour ago, ReluctantNicko said:

The sad thing is that in all probability Warnock would have had more points from this squad of players in the last 3 seasons.

Just look what he did at Rotherham a couple of seasons ago.

I find it a bit weird that your point of reference is what he did with Rotherham (as in keeping them up) as opposed to the promotions he enjoyed with QPR, Dem Blades and the near misses with Palace, Dem Blades again. 

Needless to say, we don't actually know what Colin would have done with this group of players. For one I very much doubt he would have assembled such a group of players. 

33 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I find it a bit weird that your point of reference is what he did with Rotherham (as in keeping them up) as opposed to the promotions he enjoyed with QPR, Dem Blades and the near misses with Palace, Dem Blades again. 

Needless to say, we don't actually know what Colin would have done with this group of players. For one I very much doubt he would have assembled such a group of players. 

Agreed. We could have been in the PL and probably spent 20-25 million quid less than we have. Makes you think...lol

PS I know why ReluctantNicko quoted Colin's time at Rotherham. sad it before, genuinely don't believe any other manager out there could have saved them from relegation. Arguably the worst ever Championship team. Unbelievable what he did there. 

3 minutes ago, Almat said:

Agreed. We could have been in the PL and probably spent 20-25 million quid less than we have. Makes you think...lol

PS I know why ReluctantNicko quoted Colin's time at Rotherham. sad it before, genuinely don't believe any other manager out there could have saved them from relegation. Arguably the worst ever Championship team. Unbelievable what he did there. 

Now where have I heard that quote before?

Oh yes, just before Stuart Gray came in and saved us from relegation.

:rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Now where have I heard that quote before?

Oh yes, just before Stuart Gray came in and saved us from relegation.

:rolleyes:

I rate SG but no way was his achievement anywhere near Colin's at Rotherham. If you view it as a footie  fan as opposed to a Wednesday fan it was an extraordinary feat. 

1 hour ago, Wakefield owl said:

CC wasn't responsible for recruitment and given our abysmal failure on this front last summer I think CC would agree he should have left last summer.

The fitness situation is being massively overstated on here - we've matched our opposition in the last two games proving it has been more a case of desire of our players rather than their fitness.

Maybe, just looking at it a different way, it could have been a desire to put a full shift in for a new manager, could be running on empty in a few weeks.

2 hours ago, Wakefield owl said:

The chairman went on record to state that CC was directly involved in player recruitment.  This was earlier this season, when Carvalhal was still in a job here.

Is there any reason that Chansiri may have misled the fans on this issue?

I agree that our recruitment in summer 2017 was lacking; we are still weak at RB, LB, CDM (hopefully Pelupessy will remedy this) and RW, despite the problems that we had last season with these positions.  But the majority of Championship managers would be happy to add the likes of Boyd, Rhodes, Venancio etc to their respective squads on an individual basis.

2 hours ago, Wakefield owl said:

We'll have to agree to disagree here.

I think it's no coincidence that we've had an unusually high number of 'non-contact' injuries to the majority of CC's first choice XI during the winter months, when games come thick and fast and the fitness levels of squads are pushed.  Yet our newly appointed manager, several experienced pundits/ex-players and even our own current players have criticised the squad's lack of fitness.

I don't think the fitness situation has been overstated at all.  Most of our best players will miss crucial games between and the end of the season; not only has it ruined our chances of promotion, we're going to have a fight just to stay up now IMO.

While I agree there has been a visible upturn in the player's moral and confidence since Luhukay took charge, I don't think the players were deliberately performing badly at the end of Carlos reign and during Bullen's caretaker spell. 

To suggest that our players have lacked desire to succeed isn't really on IMO.  If the players had stopped responding to CC's methods, then it is the head coach's responsibility to put that right, isn't it?

There were some good days under CC but overall, I feel that history will view Carvalhal's time here as a missed opportunity at best and rank bad mismanagement at worst.

7 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think new blokes tactics are to have a solid base and then take in from there.

But does make it hard work watching at times. Will accept it for now but not indefinitely.

Do you not think, that players available to him at present kind of dictate how he/we play at the moment? 

4 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Do you not think, that players available to him at present kind of dictate how he/we play at the moment? 

I take your point a bit but we still have £8m Rhodes, £2.5m Matias, £1.5m Joao available.

Think the many including me are giving new bloke a honeymoon period of rest of season (Unless we really get into a relegation dog fight). But think pressure will really be on next season from he kick off to provide winning football and probably a bit more entertaining football as well.

25 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think new blokes tactics are to have a solid base and then take in from there.

But does make it hard work watching at times. Will accept it for now but not indefinitely.

I have seen most teams this season and most are no better than us to watch...a few yes maybe but only a few...you have no idea what the finished team might look like ...why so negative??

15 minutes ago, kazads said:

I have seen most teams this season and most are no better than us to watch...a few yes maybe but only a few...you have no idea what the finished team might look like ...why so negative??

Think I was being more balanced then negative.

Yes we have no idea what finished team will look like (Is any team ever truly a finished article?).

But expect next season to be a promotion challenging season.