Rhodes 5. Did little and missed 2 good chances

Joao 8. Ran Cardiff ragged and deserved a goal

Mattias 6.  Didn’t do much

nuhiu 6.5. Battled in both boxes and did well

Boyd 5. No impact.

Wildsmith 7

Venâncio 6 better 2nd half but we vulnerable down our right 1st half

Pudil 6 dependable cover

Thornikey 6 decent debut, not sure if has any of raw ingredients needed such as pace, height strength tho and was a little lucky get a foul to prevent goal.

Palmer 6. Ok 

Fox 6. Better, brave but like palmer nothing offensive 

Wallace 5 Ran about but pretty poor, offered nothing, start boyd next

Jones 6. Poor first half, better second half, pessi awaits for added energy

reach 6. Tried but pretty bad miss

Rhodes 5. Missed 2 good chances but nearly made 2, start matias next

Joao 7 head still goes down easy and should have scored but some decent all round play

Mattias 6. Looked lively

nuhiu 6

Boyd 5. Needs some starts to assess

Good effort again with depleted side but 2 or 3 from bench due starts next out, no free passes for any favourites anymore :carlos:

Edited by Ash77

Wildsmith -7 good saves most which you’d expect a championship keeper to make. 

Palmer -6 he’s got 2 areas to improve on imo stopping ball watching and improving  his passing which with him being a former cm I thought he’d be decent at

Fred - 7 Thought he was strong and solid tonight got caught in first 10/15 mins but calm after that.

Pudil -7 Same as Fred and suits to a 3/5 great blocking in the first half.

Thornily -6 decent debut , will be happy with his clean sheet , needs bulking a bit and improve on his distribution, couple of times ballooning into the air .

Fox -7 best game I’ve seen him have at Swfc his block 5 mins in was fantastic. Got forward well and was solid at the back 

Wallace -5 think he did ok I like his tenacity and bite in cm , he’s like a little jack Russell nibbling at your ankle but can’t get close enough  . Big fan normally , don’t think he suits the system. 

Jones -7 He attacked tonight which I’ve not seen him do all season . Less like a crab and broke up play well

Reach - 6 shot stupidly a few times , tried to make things happen which I was impressed with . Again don’t think he suits the system. 

Rhodes - 3 The thing that annoys me is that this lad is proven and capable in this division a million times over. So why isn’t it happening???. I think he’s lost a fair bit of hunger and that edge that he used to have before getting big contracts . Missed 1 decent chance fair enough on the other just doesn’t seem to offer much else. 

Joao -7 would have been 8 but failed to his the target on one clear cut and aim at the keeper on the other . I like his running of channels probably MOM but can fight with Fred for that. More to come 

Matias looked hungry and his running was good. 

others N/A

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Wildsmith 8. Great performance 

Venâncio 8. Immaculate 

Pudil 7. Strong and composed

Thornikey 7. Solid debut

Palmer 6. Solid but a bit quiet

Walace 6. Did ok, ratted about.

Jones 7. Poor first half, great second half 

reach 7. Grafted and ran, didn’t quite come off for him

Fox 7. Defended well, did ok going forwards

Rhodes 5. Did little and missed 2 good chances

Joao 8. Ran Cardiff ragged and deserved a goal

Mattias 6.  Didn’t do much

nuhiu 6.5. Battled in both boxes and did well

Boyd 5. No impact.

pretty close assessment but Pudl and Wallace quietly played a massive part and were the rock that the youngsters needed so a big well done to them from me

Wildsmith - 7

Venancio - 7

Pudil - 6

Thorniley - 5

Palmer - 6

Wallace - 7

Jones - 7

Reach - 7

Fox - 7

Joao - 8

Rhodes - 6 

Team played well tonight - even Jordan Rhodes linked play tonight and made a contribution. He only got a 6 mind but that was his best performance for Wednesday. 

Joao was star man but he needs to start taking his chances. I keep saying he has all the attributes but I still don’t know whether he will make it as a top player. Down to you, Lucas!

1 hour ago, solo said:

Wildsmith -7 good saves most which you’d expect a championship keeper to make. 

Palmer -6 he’s got 2 areas to improve on imo stopping ball watching and improving  his passing which with him being a former cm I thought he’d be decent at

Fred - 7 Thought he was strong and solid tonight got caught in first 10/15 mins but calm after that.

Pudil -7 Same as Fred and suits to a 3/5 great blocking in the first half.

Thornily -6 decent debut , will be happy with his clean sheet , needs bulking a bit and improve on his distribution, couple of times ballooning into the air .

Fox -7 best game I’ve seen him have at Swfc his block 5 mins in was fantastic. Got forward well and was solid at the back 

Wallace -5 think he did ok I like his tenacity and bite in cm , he’s like a little jack Russell nibbling at your ankle but can’t get close enough  . Big fan normally , don’t think he suits the system. 

Jones -7 He attacked tonight which I’ve not seen him do all season . Less like a crab and broke up play well

Reach - 6 shot stupidly a few times , tried to make things happen which I was impressed with . Again don’t think he suits the system. 

Rhodes - 3 The thing that annoys me is that this lad is proven and capable in this division a million times over. So why isn’t it happening???. I think he’s lost a fair bit of hunger and that edge that he used to have before getting big contracts . Missed 1 decent chance fair enough on the other just doesn’t seem to offer much else. 

Joao -7 would have been 8 but failed to his the target on one clear cut and aim at the keeper on the other . I like his running of channels probably MOM but can fight with Fred for that. More to come 

Matias looked hungry and his running was good. 

others N/A

Fox? Really?

Just shows how 2 people can watch the same game and see something totally different!

I agree his block was class but from then on he got skinned every time and offered nothing going forward? 

Wildsmith - 8 - Very assured performance. One routine save made in the 1st half and another very decent save to deny Grujic. Looking like a No. 1.

Venancio - 8 - Yet another solid display. Getting better each game. 

Pudil - 8 - Dominant performance up against a physical Cardiff front two. Organised the back line brilliantly. 

Thorniley - 8 - What a fantastic debut. Looked a tad nervy early on, but as the game went on looked extremely comfortable. Physical, good in the air, and up for a scrap. Good signs.

Palmer - 6 - Wasn't a poor display, and it is another clean sheet, but he doesn't offer enough going forward to play that wing back role. Hunt is the better option, but I think this has to be a priority area for Jos to try and bring in reinforcements in the summer.

Fox - 7 - Long term, I think we need a better option, particularly offensively. But has good energy, and put in a decent shift today.

Jones - 7 - Another good display from him. Looks a different player. Dogged, broke up play and spread the play well. 

Reach - 7 - Looks like a genuinely quality player. Carries the team forward and shows great athleticism. Key player.

Wallace - 6 - Did alright, worked hard, but at times, especially in the 1st half, struggled to keep on top of Ralls and Grujic. 

Joao - 8 - Man of the Match - Outstanding performance, only missing a goal, which he should've got. Physically matched up against their three centre halves and caused them all sorts of problems with his pace and directness. Another key player going forward.

Rhodes - 6 - 1st half...another inept display. Weak, slow, and missed two good chances. 2nd half, better, but not really enough. Matias offered so much more when he came on.

Overall ... a step in the right direction. First half, I think we struggled with the mismatch midfield we've got, effectively playing two wingers out of position (although Reach looks a natural in there). And, I think we'll struggle to create chances regularly (although, we did create 4 good chances today, only one came from a phase of attacking play) when we play full backs, who are limited going forward, at wing back. Compare Cardiff to us today.. Bennett and Richards found themselves in advanced wide areas constantly...Fox, and Palmer in particular, rarely got themselves ahead of the midfield, meaning our play was often slow to develop and allowed Cardiff to transition back into a defensive shape. 

But, we were resilient, organised and athletic. Something which seemed like a pipe dream just 3 weeks ago. Full credit to Jos, and the players, for the work they've put in so far. There'll be more of these sort of games this season, but if we are to launch a promotion challenge next season, we'll need to show all those qualities and base it on a sound defensive footing. 

So far, so good. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sweetsheri said:

Fox? Really?

Just shows how 2 people can watch the same game and see something totally different!

I agree his block was class but from then on he got skinned every time and offered nothing going forward? 

He didn't though, did he?

I don't think you can fault Fox's performance today. He's limited going forward, he's a full back not a wing back. But he's doing a job. 

Can't ask any more than that from him. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Wildsmith - 8 - Very assured performance. One routine save made in the 1st half and another very decent save to deny Grujic. Looking like a No. 1.

Venancio - 8 - Yet another solid display. Getting better each game. 

Pudil - 8 - Dominant performance up against a physical Cardiff front two. Organised the back line brilliantly. 

Thorniley - 8 - What a fantastic debut. Looked a tad nervy early on, but as the game went on looked extremely comfortable. Physical, good in the air, and up for a scrap. Good signs.

Palmer - 6 - Wasn't a poor display, and it is another clean sheet, but he doesn't offer enough going forward to play that wing back role. Hunt is the better option, but I think this has to be a priority area for Jos to try and bring in reinforcements in the summer.

Fox - 7 - Long term, I think we need a better option, particularly offensively. But has good energy, and put in a decent shift today.

Jones - 7 - Another good display from him. Looks a different player. Dogged, broke up play and spread the play well. 

Reach - 7 - Looks like a genuinely quality player. Carries the team forward and shows great athleticism. Key player.

Wallace - 6 - Did alright, worked hard, but at times, especially in the 1st half, struggled to keep on top of Ralls and Grujic. 

Joao - 8 - Man of the Match - Outstanding performance, only missing a goal, which he should've got. Physically matched up against their three centre halves and caused them all sorts of problems with his pace and directness. Another key player going forward.

Rhodes - 6 - 1st half...another inept display. Weak, slow, and missed two good chances. 2nd half, better, but not really enough. Matias offered so much more when he came on.

Overall ... a step in the right direction. First half, I think we struggled with the mismatch midfield we've got, effectively playing two wingers out of position (although Reach looks a natural in there). And, I think we'll struggle to create chances regularly (although, we did create 4 good chances today, only one came from a phase of attacking play) when we play full backs, who are limited going forward, at wing back. Compare Cardiff to us today.. Bennett and Richards found themselves in advanced wide areas constantly...Fox, and Palmer in particular, rarely got themselves ahead of the midfield, meaning our play was often slow to develop and allowed Cardiff to transition back into a defensive shape. 

But, we were resilient, organised and athletic. Something which seemed like a pipe dream just 3 weeks ago. Full credit to Jos, and the players, for the work they've put in so far. There'll be more of these sort of games this season, but if we are to launch a promotion challenge next season, we'll need to show all those qualities and base it on a sound defensive footing. 

So far, so good. 

Agree with all comments made. Would have given Venancio and Thorniley 7 each and Fox a 6 but agree with other ratings. i would also give Jos a 9 because to find a formation and drill a team from the players available is some achievement. He has overcome our lack of mobility/dynamism in team  by playing them in two blocks of 3 which stifles opposition. Also thought team did not look as heavy as they did 3 weeks ago.

Excellent achievement in circumstances.

Broken leg so watched all on Nowtv, thanks @trev lol

Wildsmith, 7 - Made two good saves and another solid performance looks to be really excelling now he's getting a run of games under his belt.

Venancio, 7.5 - Very good, how did this man not get a game under CC?!?! Strong, quick and not afraid to carry the ball out the back into space, exactly what we've been needing, reminds me of a upgraded more physical Sasso...only slightly less good looking.

Pudil, 7 - Good, two good tackles and was in the young lads ear all game keeping him calm, found his new role. 

Thorniley, 6 - I know it was his debut but had a rough start losing the ball a few times down the left and got bulldozed by Zohore for a goal that was wrongly disallowed..other than that after the first 30mins didn't look out of place, OK.

Palmer, 6 - Always looking for the ball which i like about Palmer, so willing to get forward which is essential for a wing back just lacks the effectiveness Hunt does, didn't do anything wrong but needs to get better going forward and quick or will be back on the bench. Very good for a back up though. 

Fox, 7.5 - Good display today, two excellent blocks to deny Bamba and Zohore the highlights might not show it but the one on the latter was top draw, similar to Palmer just needs to contribute more going forward to play that LWB regularly but defensively was very good and much improved, well done Morgan!!

Jones, 7 - Considering he was playing in a 3 man midfield alongside 2 other natural wingers I thought he did a very good job. Had 1 or 2 ropey moments on the ball but aside from that handled the CDM role very well, read the game, positioning and distribution were all good and his experience was evident, has to play their for me or not at all. 

Reach, 7.5 - Faded as the game went on but for 70 minutes was our most creative and attacking player, involved in all our good moments of play, looks brimming with confidence now and always a danger on the ball. Excelling in his new role and is finally looking like the player we paid so much for, another good performance from our POTS so far. 

Wallace, 6 - Good work rate and tenacity as always and did a job in an unfamiliar role but going forward i'd like to see Boyd given more opportunity in that role instead. Certainly being utilised better in this role than sitting out on the wing for 70 mins.

Joao, 7.5 - Played really well, wasn't exceptional as really should have buried the two sitters he had but given a run of games he'll be scoring those, worked hard ran at defenders with pace and caused problems for a solid back 3...how nice was it to see opposition defenders back off one of our strikers? Jeeeeeze, just needs to work on his composure and quality in the final 3rd and we could see the very best of Joao, good game. 

Rhodes, 6 - Still struggling to find form, some nice link up play and put himself out there, similar to Joao i feel like he's lacking that composure that we know he has but hopefully that will come with more games. Still for me didn't offer enough going forward though. 

Joao really needs to sort out his petulance. Too many strops for me when he lost the ball  instead of fighting until the ref makes his decision. Starts walking away instead of being alert to the next opposition move. Good performance and flashes of brilliance but needs more fight instead of stopping and waiting for the referee's whistle. 

Edited by Cheadle Owl
Spelling

Wildsmith     more than solid        9 

Venâncio      settled quickly          7 

Pudil             composed                7

Thorniley      Impressive debut      8

Palmer         Tracking and Jocky seems to be a problem  6 

Wallace        busy                          6

Jones           Needs a consistent game   6 

Reach          No one on his wave length  7

Fox              Workman like 2nd period     6

Rhodes        Really needed to bury his big chance    5  

Joao             needs to stop letting emotion get the better of him  8

Mattias         All played a part in lifting our threat   7

Nuhiu            do          do              do                     7

Boyd              do          do              do                     7

1 hour ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Broken leg so watched all on Nowtv, thanks @trev lol

Wildsmith, 7 - Made two good saves and another solid performance looks to be really excelling now he's getting a run of games under his belt.

Venancio, 7.5 - Very good, how did this man not get a game under CC?!?! Strong, quick and not afraid to carry the ball out the back into space, exactly what we've been needing, reminds me of a upgraded more physical Sasso...only slightly less good looking.

Pudil, 7 - Good, two good tackles and was in the young lads ear all game keeping him calm, found his new role. 

Thorniley, 6 - I know it was his debut but had a rough start losing the ball a few times down the left and got bulldozed by Zohore for a goal that was wrongly disallowed..other than that after the first 30mins didn't look out of place, OK.

Palmer, 6 - Always looking for the ball which i like about Palmer, so willing to get forward which is essential for a wing back just lacks the effectiveness Hunt does, didn't do anything wrong but needs to get better going forward and quick or will be back on the bench. Very good for a back up though. 

Fox, 7.5 - Good display today, two excellent blocks to deny Bamba and Zohore the highlights might not show it but the one on the latter was top draw, similar to Palmer just needs to contribute more going forward to play that LWB regularly but defensively was very good and much improved, well done Morgan!!

Jones, 7 - Considering he was playing in a 3 man midfield alongside 2 other natural wingers I thought he did a very good job. Had 1 or 2 ropey moments on the ball but aside from that handled the CDM role very well, read the game, positioning and distribution were all good and his experience was evident, has to play their for me or not at all. 

Reach, 7.5 - Faded as the game went on but for 70 minutes was our most creative and attacking player, involved in all our good moments of play, looks brimming with confidence now and always a danger on the ball. Excelling in his new role and is finally looking like the player we paid so much for, another good performance from our POTS so far. 

Wallace, 6 - Good work rate and tenacity as always and did a job in an unfamiliar role but going forward i'd like to see Boyd given more opportunity in that role instead. Certainly being utilised better in this role than sitting out on the wing for 70 mins.

Joao, 7.5 - Played really well, wasn't exceptional as really should have buried the two sitters he had but given a run of games he'll be scoring those, worked hard ran at defenders with pace and caused problems for a solid back 3...how nice was it to see opposition defenders back off one of our strikers? Jeeeeeze, just needs to work on his composure and quality in the final 3rd and we could see the very best of Joao, good game. 

Rhodes, 6 - Still struggling to find form, some nice link up play and put himself out there, similar to Joao i feel like he's lacking that composure that we know he has but hopefully that will come with more games. Still for me didn't offer enough going forward though. 

Have a + Just for the effort. Great summary.