Much improved

Just now, pgmetcalf said:

Don't want to be a bit of a pooper but if we go without a league goal and maybe a win for much longer the buzz brought in by the new manager will soon disappear

I think you’re right, but everyone knows we will eventually have 8/9 ‘new’ players back, so the goodwill will last a bit, the cup game is another freebie for us where we can just embed the system and give players more fitness, it prepares us for the games after.

24 minutes ago, roundhayowl said:

Because they simply weren't that good...and neither were we. We need to start winning some games and a half decent wide would have beaten them tonight.

We played a side who are battling for 2nd place, had won their last two games by scoring 4 goals, and were playing two very decent loan players in their side. 

The fact we kept a clean sheet was about our good organisation and hard work, as it was about their “poor” performance in my opinion. 

We are having to play defenders from the youth team, wingers as central midfielders, and strikers with no confidence in front of goal.

Personally I think they all did well and it was a continued sign that the manager knows how to organise and motivate a team, and that performance makes me confident about the future. Not negative as you seem to be feeling 

Guest The Horse

It's goal scoring midfielders we need.
Kieran Lee used to chip in with a goal every so often but apart from Reach's wonder strikes the mid has dried up.
Wallace was always good for a belter and that Fernando bloke used to ghost in from the left a fair bit too.
Our central defenders hardly scored under Carlos either. Reda and Miguel used to score from every other corner.
Rambling but in short - if the rest of the team chip in with goals, it takes the pressure off the front two to play with a bit more freedom.

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

It seemed the commentator Don Goodman forgot it was 3rd against 17th during most of the first half until someone showed him a league table on the 40th minute.  Because before then he was saying how we should be doing better in the game.

Goodman has always irritated me. It's like his brain can only formulate a small number of words at a time.

He speaks in this... 

really weird fashion where...

there are really long pauses...

after every few words.

Early days, and not much to go on if I'm making predictions (Carlisle may as well have not been on the pitch if the highlights were any guide. On the other hand we are missing Westwood, Lees, Lee, Bannan, Forestieri, Hooper and others). But no reason not to be optimistic. Let's just get this season out of the way with a bit of pride and build a foundation to bounce back.

43 minutes ago, WC1Owl said:

Early days, and not much to go on if I'm making predictions (Carlisle may as well have not been on the pitch if the highlights were any guide. On the other hand we are missing Westwood, Lees, Lee, Bannan, Forestieri, Hooper and others). But no reason not to be optimistic. Let's just get this season out of the way with a bit of pride and build a foundation to bounce back.

Dont think we are missing Westwood at all, Wildsmith is doing just fine, 2 penalty saves, looks calm and collected a few good stops tonight and another clean sheet. He is the future in between the sticks. Never thought I would say this, but if we can get money for Westwood let’s do it.  Dawson also looked assured on Tuesday.  Other areas are of more concern.

Edited by Striggy

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

2 hours ago, wembley93 said:

Jos is stamping his authority on the team and the formation is good. Some steady performances from players that have been a bit lost this season. We could easily have won that game and did well considering the players available. THORNLEY was very good and look like an established championship player as was Fred. Consolidate and build for next season, very positive considering what we've seen this season. 7/10 from me. 

........ and we were playing with a side 85% down on the first team regulars.

Well done Wednesday, well done Jos.

The future's bright, the futures blue and white (with a bit of orange)

We were stuck in a rut.

Jos has got us up to a basic standard of competing which was much needed - because this club has been sat in a deckchair most of this season. 

It feels like the games have been thick and fast since Jos turned up and he’s doing well. 

I think if we had Hooper and Bannan on the pitch we might have won today. 

1 hour ago, Kopparberg said:

We were stuck in a rut.

Jos has got us up to a basic standard of competing which was much needed - because this club has been sat in a deckchair most of this season. 

It feels like the games have been thick and fast since Jos turned up and he’s doing well. 

I think if we had Hooper and Bannan on the pitch we might have won today. 

For a side low on confidence and full of the second string we did well