Jordan Thorniley

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, Mountain Owl said:

Fairly solid first performance against a very tough opponent. Was out muscled with the contentious decision that sky and Colin made a meal of but apart from that he was ok.

1 hour ago, Tamworthowl said:

He made a couple of simple mistakes to give possession away, and could easily have cost us a goal. But for a debutant, I'd class it as a good performance aided by Pudil and Fox.

I thought Pudil was superb again.  Venancio is getting better too.

Was really impressed with his display, but he wasn't helped early on by Pudil passing to him

early on when he was stuck on the touchline (effectively in the left back spot).

If there's no movement up front he's going to have to come back with the passing and could 

have been caught out early doors but, he got through that well and looked very competent.

Looks like we've got three good young centre-backs coming through now, which is promising.

Strange how it's suddenly turned round from a choice of an unknown Venancio and a dodgy Pudil and maybe the slow Loovens for centre back to...

Solid and improving Venancio,

Cool and composed experience of Pudil,

Promising Thorniley,

Plus O'Grady and Nielson.

The new and unknown Pelupessy

...the slow Loovens.

8 hours ago, Brommers said:

So how many first team debuts is that now in 1 week, 4?

How many did Carlos offer in 2 1/2 years. 

No apologist for CC as some of the things that have happened recruitment, tactics and injuries wise will hinder us for some time

But I do think CC had a single remit:  to get us up by hook or crook, and he obviously doesn't like risking or developing kids

whereas Jos who impresses me everytime he speaks with his organisation,discipline, logical and straightforward answers, has a remit to rescue this situation with an almost entire first team out for possibly the rest of the season and even beyond who knows ? He therefore has little option but to turn to our youngsters whilst he tries to wangle some cheap transfers in .

Personally I hope we continue to try and blood our kids next season it great to to see whether we will I don't know i think it will depend on the ramification of FFP on further spending

2 hours ago, steelowl said:

No apologist for CC as some of the things that have happened recruitment, tactics and injuries wise will hinder us for some time

But I do think CC had a single remit:  to get us up by hook or crook, and he obviously doesn't like risking or developing kids

whereas Jos who impresses me everytime he speaks with his organisation,discipline, logical and straightforward answers, has a remit to rescue this situation with an almost entire first team out for possibly the rest of the season and even beyond who knows ? He therefore has little option but to turn to our youngsters whilst he tries to wangle some cheap transfers in .

Personally I hope we continue to try and blood our kids next season it great to to see whether we will I don't know i think it will depend on the ramification of FFP on further spending

But isn't this exactly why Carlos ended up a failure and probably why a significant part of the fan base can't forgive him given the absolute mess he left behind (and given the golden opportunity he had but blew). His problem (one of many) was that he got stuck into a single mindset and carried on shoehorning players into the team out of position or half injured or out of form. I don't think CC's single remit of getting us up meant he had to ignore the kids IF they were good enough to be in the team. We probably could have seen from CC's record of 25 clubs in 25 seasons (or whatever it was) that he was not a team builder or likely to blood youth. Given his remit probably was solely to get us up by the 150th anniversary it makes it even more incredible that he was allowed to stay on post the Huddersfield farce.

Thought he was fine. 

Bit wobbly at first but he settled after that. 

Nice to see these young lads getting a chance. Be interesting to see which ones end up getting the nod over the next few weeks. 

2 minutes ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

But isn't this exactly why Carlos ended up a failure and probably why a significant part of the fan base can't forgive him given the absolute mess he left behind (and given the golden opportunity he had but blew). His problem (one of many) was that he got stuck into a single mindset and carried on shoehorning players into the team out of position or half injured or out of form. I don't think CC's single remit of getting us up meant he had to ignore the kids IF they were good enough to be in the team. We probably could have seen from CC's record of 25 clubs in 25 seasons (or whatever it was) that he was not a team builder or likely to blood youth. Given his remit probably was solely to get us up by the 150th anniversary it makes it even more incredible that he was allowed to stay on post the Huddersfield farce.

yup

CC has Never built a team

he was left with a solid core by Gray and fafaed about buying the wrong players 

3 minutes ago, steelowl said:

yup

CC has Never built a team

he was left with a solid core by Gray and fafaed about buying the wrong players 

Tbf we largely added the right players to that spine in the first season...

The problem was what came afterward, plus CC's bizarre loyalty to the "Play off" team, meaning nearly everyone else was viewed as a back up. 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Tbf we largely added the right players to that spine in the first season...

The problem was what came afterward, plus CC's bizarre loyalty to the "Play off" team, meaning nearly everyone else was viewed as a back up. 

CC man / squad management was always an issue with me from early on   started with the McGugan, FF then Rhodes and poss Winnall    publicly hanging players out to dry never works in the long run  should be sorted in house 

I loved his early charisma but now I think he's a blagger

2 minutes ago, steelowl said:

CC man / squad management was always an issue with me from early on   started with the McGugan, FF then Rhodes and poss Winnall    publicly hanging players out to dry never works in the long run  should be sorted in house 

I loved his early charisma but now I think he's a blagger

Perhaps he was. 

The way he swanned off to er Swansea certainly makes you wonder. Put it this way - he's very much a professional and only looking out for himself. 

Guest RocketOwl
10 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

He was cup-tied.

Oh ok. Didn't realise he had been on loan. Is he considered better than the other two then?

Still clueless as to Jordans contract status. Was initially on a 12 month contract when he signed in 2016, which expired last summer. No word from the club, and even his squad number has changed from 31 to 39. 

Am assuming the initial article was wrong when he signed, and was actually on a 24 month contract. 

Anyone any the wiser.? 

48 minutes ago, daztheowl said:

Still clueless as to Jordans contract status. Was initially on a 12 month contract when he signed in 2016, which expired last summer. No word from the club, and even his squad number has changed from 31 to 39. 

Am assuming the initial article was wrong when he signed, and was actually on a 24 month contract. 

Anyone any the wiser.? 

We probably put O’Grady’s name on the team sheet.

Used to work in the Sunday League 

3 hours ago, daztheowl said:

Anyone any the wiser.? 

I think it got extended for another year in the second half of last season but no mention by the club.On the official retained list on the EFL website players under 24 that had been offered a new deal like Clare hd an asterisk next to there name.  Thorniley didn't so he must have signed something before the seasons end.  All the articles I read said he initially signed a 1 year contract.

• Thanks 1