Jordan Thorniley

Thought he did well, cant say I particularly noticed him too much as the game went on which is a compliment for a defender, did his job and looked at home at this level. The zahore 'goal' was close but think the ref called it right as zahore was slightly behind him so it was more a shove in the back and not a straight shoulder to shoulder, he also tripped him slightly. Was amusing to see warnock and sky talking rubbish everyone had stopped and zahore punted into the net in a hopeful manner, if the ref hadnt blown he would have never took the shot on from there. 

Not read the full thread so apologies if this has been said already. 

Thought there was one or two occasions where he kept hold of the ball a little too long. However, all in all what a debut (guessing it is as I’ve not seen him before). Comfortable on the ball and didn’t look out of place at all. Clean sheet to go with it. They could still be playing now and they didn’t look like scoring. 

Well done lad, hope you can keep it up and really progress from here. 

Nervy first 15 minutes, but saw out the first half well, and I thought he had a very strong second half.

Well done, Jordan!

We're yet to see whether taking on Prem club cast-offs to make up an U23 side is really worth it, but I thought Thorniley's performance today showed a lot of promise.

He does seem a little too eager to release the ball such that some of his passes seemed a little odd, but equally, it ain't so bad that he wasn't always looking to row-Z it either. There's definitely something to work with there.

I didn't see any of the Sky nonsense as I was at the game.

Had a close look at his game in tye 2nd half as I sit midway on North near the front.

A very capable lad who was one of the plusses out of the game. He looked knackered in the final few mins but he defo put a shift in.

More like him please Jos.

Good debut.  Couple of nervous touches early on but after that I thought he was very composed.  

The whole back three was quite comfortable to be honest.  Had you told me those three players would be our defence against Cardiff just a few weeks ago I would have laughed/cried to your face.  Happy to see youth given a chance and I just find the whole set up completely refreshing under Jos.

I'll be honest, before the game I was worried Colin would stick Zohore on him and try and bully

him, which is exactly what he did. However Thorniley stood up

to it well and didn't look out of place, by the second half I totally

forgot he was a young kid out the dev squad. Loan spell at Accrington obviously done wonders for his confidence, done himself no harm with that showing. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
13 hours ago, cowl said:

I think Fox would be better suited to being the left-sided centre back than left wing back.

Reach could then play left wing back, or if we don't want to lose his legs from a more central position, we could also look at the likes of Penney for left wing back.

Totally agree.  Fox has never been a wing back.  I would play Reach there against Reading and see how he does.

He will have had a decent schooling at Everton too, but the first team experience at Accrington against seasoned centre forwards will have helped him a great deal. Playing against Zohore is arguably one of the toughest jobs in terms of pace and strength. 

For me though, in terms of stature, Nielsen has to be the best prospect. He’s an absolute tank.