"Age nothing but a number"

The whole GH thing is a farce, when you have a potential asset you should look after them. There’s 7 places on the matchday bench and one should be for a talented young player like Hirst. 

And how much money have we wasted in contracts for Lachman, Emmanuelson, Soudou, Buckley, Kean, Wiggins etc. Personally I would be giving Hirst more money and not signing squad players that were never going to play. 

There’s a difference in being held to ransom by a young player who doesn’t deserve it, to practically England’s best striker at age 18 level who has potential to improve further. Hopefully Meire will be helping Chansiri to realise that we also need to invest in youth potential, as she did at Charlton. As it seems we now have a manager who believes in giving young players a chance 

Edited by Southie_Owl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hitcat said:

It's definitely a refreshing change. It's a pity he wasn't in charge before all the George Hirst shenanigans.

Not sure the shenanigans were much to do with the previous manager

After all Carlos did include him and play him in the squad for cup games in the early part of last season.

The problem seems to be between Hirst (junior and senior), the agents and the Chairman.

The boy clearly realised his POTENTIAL worth after mixing with young England players from the Premier League clubs.

I think his Dad's regrets over missing out on a big money move himself have influenced him too.

Situation is irretrevably bitter now so best move on.

Was hopeful of this going by his German days and he's giving youth a chance here too. Much better attitude to have, play the players who impress regardless of age. 

Carlos treatment of young players was disgusting and they we might as well not had a youth team.

Our 2 young keepers have done well too. Westwood will have a job getting no1 spot back when hes fit again.

5 hours ago, Hitcat said:

It's definitely a refreshing change. It's a pity he wasn't in charge before all the George Hirst shenanigans.

4 hours ago, slinger208b said:

I understood it was a contract issue. If so the situation would probably have gone a similar way regardless...

2 hours ago, daleblue said:

It's was also mentioned at the time that 

he was asking for too much money because he was not going to get anywhere near the first team, which I can only assume came from CC, now he is no longer here and given what the new Manager has said surely this would make the issue of money and lot more acceptable to DC and maybe a deal could have been struck a tad closer to what both parties wanted. 

If you've read the Petrescu article that's been knocking around on here last couple of days, I think it's pretty obvious why DC isn't getting his hands dirty with Doyen any more. Barring anyone whose already tied in, I wouldn't expect to see any of their players or staff knocking around here any time in the future. And that's more than OK in my book.

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

The whole GH thing is a farce, when you have a potential asset you should look after them. There’s 7 places on the matchday bench and one should be for a talented young player like Hirst. 

And how much money have we wasted in contracts for Lachman, Emmanuelson, Soudou, Buckley, Kean, Wiggins etc. Personally I would be giving Hirst more money and not signing squad players that were never going to play. 

There’s a difference in being held to ransom by a young player who doesn’t deserve it, to practically England’s best striker at age 18 level who has potential to improve further. Hopefully Meire will be helping Chansiri to realise that we also need to invest in youth potential, as she did at Charlton. As it seems we now have a manager who believes in giving young players a chance 

Doyen mate. They're the reason, not DC. That relationship has stalled and/or soured here by the sounds of things, and for that we can all be grateful - even if it means we've no chance with Hirst. They'd have been shafting us for years to come if it went any other way.

Not worth it for one decent striker, even if he ends up being worth £20m - he'd have left for a £60k contract elsewhere anyway by that point, and we'd have seen pennies from the fee after Doyen got their share.

Edited by Mr. Tom

Shame about young Hirsty. Just hoping there's a slim chance of him changing his mind with the developments of recent weeks :-

New CEO

New manager that likes youth and willing to give them a chance

and now the arrival of Mr Schriver - respected youth coach/scout

A new 18 month contract could serve everyone concerned.

5 hours ago, slinger208b said:

Assumption can be part of forming opinions.

The constant is DC, he has the final say in contracts. I don't think Jos would have changed the situation...

Jos has already given youth more of a chance than CC did in his whole time here.

8 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

Irrelevant to my point...

Your point was that Jos would have had not influence on George Hirst.

You don’t know that, as Jos might have been really keen on him. He might want to give youth a chance. 

Its totally relevant to your point.

The chairman listens to people, we know this as he’s publically stated that he listens to advisors, well if Jos had made his opinion clear - it might have influenced the outcome.

1 hour ago, Kermit Flump said:

Your point was that Jos would have had not influence on George Hirst.

You don’t know that, as Jos might have been really keen on him. He might want to give youth a chance. 

Its totally relevant to your point.

The chairman listens to people, we know this as he’s publically stated that he listens to advisors, well if Jos had made his opinion clear - it might have influenced the outcome.

In accordance with what DC has said, the manager identifies the players and he has final say regarding the contracts.

As it appears a contract hasn't been agreed, i was suggesting that he was a player of interest pre Jos so the situation wouldn't be any different after Jos signing...

Edited by slinger208b