"Age nothing but a number"

4 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

I understood it was a contract issue. If so the situation would probably have gone a similar way regardless...

I don't think that it would. Can't imagine Luchukay leaving talent like Hirst behind, and not taking him on pre-season tour, or giving him squad number.

1 minute ago, slinger208b said:

DC has the final say on contracts...

Yes, but if he was seen as genuine part of first team, with equal chance to fight for the spot in our match day squad I don't think there would have come to his "contract situation".

At least that is my opinion. As I understood, biggest part of problem was that Carlos didn't see gim anywhere near our first team.

Could be very wrong on this, though.

1 minute ago, Kermit Flump said:

Why?

It’s very assumptive to guess how two different people would deal with the same situation.

Assumption can be part of forming opinions.

The constant is DC, he has the final say in contracts. I don't think Jos would have changed the situation...

Just now, malek said:

Yes, but if he was seen as genuine part of first team, with equal chance to fight for the spot in our match day squad I don't think there would have come to his "contract situation".

At least that is my opinion. As I understood, biggest part of problem was that Carlos didn't see gim anywhere near our first team.

Could be very wrong on this, though.

Yes, fair shout with Carlos, and DC may have seen his value differently if Hirst had been more involved, but I'm sure he wouldn't have been mugged off either...

To be fair to CC his remit was promotion, would you gamble three points on an untried player?  Jos for this season doesn't have that pressure.  He had little choice but to play them against united and Carlisle and they served him well, be interesting to see if returning players will automatically walk in the team or will have to bide their time. 

If we get sucked into a relegation fight (which I'm confident we won't) Will the fans still champion the use of under 23 players or will they be screaming for the old guard to return? 

If the young lads are successful will it allow the club to sell off some of the old guard and bring in new young promising players?  

Intresting times these next few weeks could change the long term careers of both the new and old guard. 

7 minutes ago, Watson said:

To be fair to CC his remit was promotion, would you gamble three points on an untried player?  Jos for this season doesn't have that pressure.  He had little choice but to play them against united and Carlisle and they served him well, be interesting to see if returning players will automatically walk in the team or will have to bide their time. 

If we get sucked into a relegation fight (which I'm confident we won't) Will the fans still champion the use of under 23 players or will they be screaming for the old guard to return? 

If the young lads are successful will it allow the club to sell off some of the old guard and bring in new young promising players?  

Intresting times these next few weeks could change the long term careers of both the new and old guard. 

For me it was never about playing young players, but giving them same chance that anyone else seems to get. Carlos kept on playing players who were doing poorly, rather then even considering any youngsters who were doing really well in their league for couple of years.

1 hour ago, Watson said:

I keep saying this-which members of our old guard are saleable and who would buy them-the only ones who are worth anything you would want to keep,the others no club would pay anything like the money they are on so they aren't going to go anywhere until there contract runs out.

I think we  are involved in a few players retirement plans, we are like an old folks home with residents we cant get rid of. 

I'm all for giving the youth a chance though, they all knew under Carlos they had zero chance of getting anywhere near the match day squad.(Apparently all the younger players weren't even allowed in the gym if any of the 1st teamers wanted to use it-I think this is a bit bizarre in itself?)

Lets hope Jos manages to spot a couple of diamonds amongst them and they can make the step up.

1 hour ago, malek said:

For me it was never about playing young players, but giving them same chance that anyone else seems to get. Carlos kept on playing players who were doing poorly, rather then even considering any youngsters who were doing really well in their league for couple of years.

Yes-this completely.

2 hours ago, slinger208b said:

I understood it was a contract issue. If so the situation would probably have gone a similar way regardless...

It's was also mentioned at the time that 

he was asking for too much money because he was not going to get anywhere near the first team, which I can only assume came from CC, now he is no longer here and given what the new Manager has said surely this would make the issue of money and lot more acceptable to DC and maybe a deal could have been struck a tad closer to what both parties wanted.