Sheffield Wednesday 0 - 0 Cardiff O.M.D.T

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Interesting Pazowl55...interesting.  Joey straight in at the heart of the defence. Stepping out in midfield majestically and pinging a 50 yard pass onto Matias' toe. 

Think I agree with your midfield 3.

Though I'm sure Cardiff wil park the bus and I have half a mind we'll just play Jones as the sitter and maybe let Reach off the leash a bit more try and get him on beyond the front pair.

Not sure re Matias.  Certainly did himself now harm in the week. Nice to see s player trying to get in behind. 

That said.  He and Joao can both be a bit unpredictable. .will they work together?

It's all exciting stuff.

Interesting comments in the week from Jos about Rhodes "excellent record" and about looking at ways to get that form back.  

Wonder if he'll start. 

Funnily enough I think the bigman would be unlucky to lose out. 

Forgetting the goal he scored (which I may as well as his detractors always do) I thought some of his link play was super on Tuesday. Those little threaded balls trying to get Matias in were some oft the cutest we've seen this season (though admittedly that hasn't been a high bar!)

The dink with the outside of the boot to set Matias away for the goal was a lovely spot and execution.

Think if he is fit Pelupessy comes straight in to the side and probably will be the centre back role as the one who plays the ball out of it.  Don't think reach or Jones get dropped from the centre then will be Boyd or Wallace next to them.

As for up front pick any two from four.

Think he would have been mightly impressed with the movement of Matias and his willingness to strech the game and get down the channels. Joao can also do this so maybe it is either or with them. but you get Matias full of confidence and his head right and I believe he will be the better player. seems alot more intelligent on the football pitch.

A very good morning to you all, especially mi'lud - most refreshing to have an OMDT with such an air of positivity after a barren run. I'm feeling fairly positive myself, not least because I'll be travelling down to Hillsborough tomorrow, in spite of the typically inconvenient kick-off time (Cheers Sky, as ever...).

Speaking of Sky, I'm sure they'll dress it up as Wednesday vs Warnock round 27, or however many times it is that we've played him now. In reality we're playing Cardiff City - a side who, chiefly because of Warnock's irritatingly extensive managerial skills, are punching above their weight (well in one sense anyway, their squad is bloody massive). It's easy to forget amid new signings and a new disciplined regimen for the squad that we're up against some very tough opponents tomorrow and we'll have to be on our guard throughout the 90 minutes to avoid Jos' balloon being very prematurely punctured.

That may be easier said than done with confidence still fragile and a squad that's more injury ravaged than ever. Playing against Carlisle was one thing but playing against a Championship play-off contender will be quite another for the kid(s) that Jos is likely to play. Might Nielsen's height and physicality be better suited to dealing with Zohore, or will O'Grady's mobility be better suited to dealing with Hoilett? Reading Jos' comments before the game, I strongly suspect we're likely to see a continuation of the 3 at the back that has served us fairly well so far, in spite of the unfamiliarity. Pudil and Venancio need to continue their good form to lead an inexperienced side through the game hassle-free - Zohore tends to be a very hot-and-cold player and hasn't had much joy at Hillsborough so far, which bodes well. We can only hope that continues, as he doesn't half do a good Diego Costa impression when he's on form. 

Cardiff will be a tough nut to crack as they have a seriously talented back four - Manga and Bamba are both absolute beasts and Morrison is a very classy operator at this level (hence why we tried to sign him). Pelupessy may prove crucial to winning any potential midfield battle and keeping Cardiff on the back foot through his tackling and ability to quickly recycle possession. There's been far too many times at Hillsborough when we've conceded the initiative without much of a fight, pretty much summed up by my last trip to S6 to witness us being bullied by none other than the galacticos of Burton Albion for 90 minutes. Let's hope Luhukay sends us out ready to fight from the start.

Would probably be fairly satisfied with a point - we can't pretend that we've got any real chance in the promotion race, so a point to keep us ticking over and a run without losses intact would be no disaster. I'm likely to be saying the same thing when we come up against Middlesborough too in all honesty. Doesn't change the fact that I desperately want us to get one over on Colin.

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!

Wednesday 1-1 Cardiff

(Hoilett 34, Joao 49)

Edited by Groundhopping Owl

I know exactly how this will go. 

Cardiff will be trying their hardest to kill the game, Colin will know we will be going in to this one with a positive mentality so he will try every sly cheating tactic in the book to kill the atmosphere.

Worst thing we can do is go behind in this one.

3-1 Wednesday. Nuhiu 52, Matias 81, Reach 90. Bamba 85.

Great OMDT again, Snoots.

I hate these late K.O.s they really b^gger up the Saturday schedule but W,L or D at least it's straight on the grog afterwards!

Sammy Todd. I bet he could've put in a worthwhile stint for us today in the middle of the park. Ah, mammaries, mammaries!:laugh:

• Haha 1

Great one Snoots. 

Dont think I can ever eat liver again though.

I strongly agree with your point about it not being important which makes and formations Jos picks right now. He has no fixed system, and therefore doesn’t have an obvious first XI.

Im strongly looking forward to seeing the names, seeing the formation, and in particular to seeing our more positive style of play. 

We can be carried away on a wave of optimism tonight.

2-0

Goaks by Not a Clue and No Idea

• Like 1

Great Matchday thread M'lud...

A week of positivity on here (good effort Neil) but I feel slightly guilty about not sharing the optimism of most on today's result.

Cardiff under Colin are a difficult proposition and have added some good signings this week. We really need some players back to give Jos the tools to do the job and I've just got a feeling another 2nd string team may struggle today. Hopefully I'm wrong and it we can get a result....0-0

Westwood

Nielsen             Venacio            Pudil

Hunt                                                                             Penney

Joey

Wallace                                     Reach

Joao               Rhodes

I think the formation will be key as Colin will, as ever, do his homework.

i can see JL being cautious and it wouldn’t suprise me if we start with Jones and Octopussy as holding midfielders.

Agree re scoring first - if they do it will be very tough.

Can see it being a low scoring affair with a similar result to the first game.