Sheffield Wednesday 0 - 0 Cardiff O.M.D.T

8 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Wednesday - V - Cardiff City

No automatic alt text available.

Another week of positivity. Reach wins goal of the month. The young lads have been grinning like Cheshire cats at getting starts for the famous Sheffield Wednesday.  And we're in the next round of the cup -  

The players are coming out saying that they are enjoying being given a physical beasting by the new manager.  They're even turning up on time to training!

But then you wouldn't you, under threat of Chinese burn, paper cut and a dogshit-sandwich.

Yes, the new man certainly knows how to motivate players. That fine blend of telling them what to do and ...erm....telling them what to do or they'll be punished. 

It's a bit old fashioned of course but why not. Football changes over the years.  But young lads are always young lads. They need whipping into shape and it looks like we've just the man to do it. 

Sadly I didn't hear anyone take up my offer of turning our new Gaffers most famous hit single into a Wednesday based chant on Tuesday but I retain hope that we'll work something out for him...

So onto business and our old chum  Warnock is in town...

image.png.d78f2b1e1bb4e3e0c6e39aaa6073bbb5.png

The biggest Panto villain of them all ,and as usual the media are making it about Warnock - V- Wednesday and he's letting them.

Which will suit Cardiff as they aren't on the best run at the moment.  Distracting attention away from the teams sloppy  form and onto the Villian act of Warnock - is basic management 101 , but still we fall for it every single time. It was ever thus

I've mixed the form thingy-majig up a bit this week. Instead of both teams last 6 matches I've split it into our home - versus- their away as it might give a clearer picture.

Whilst we took a home bumming against Burton the Bluebirds have had a surprising loss to Bolton and a highly forgettable outing against QPR. 

They did get back to winning ways at home to Sunderland last week at home. But, y'know. Sunderland and what have you. Down to ten men. Did any of you watch it?  I did. Well, I say I did, I kept falling asleep. It was a real snooze fest.

When we played them earlier in the season they set up with a 4-2-3-1 but have in recent weeks looked more restrictive 4-4-1-1 trying to tighten up the ship. I don't see that changing against us. Especially considering the none event that they tried to turn this fixture into last season.  

Battle to Watch (possibly:ph34r:)

Joey Pelupessy - V - Marko Grujić

Our new man Joey Pelupessy could well get a start for Wednesday.  I have to be honest, I knew nothing about the lad. I'm not a follower of Dutch football.  There were the usual clips, and videos. A nice GIF of a wonder goal. For  a defensive midfielder? There's one question I want to know...

Can  he tackle?  

. I like tacklers. I can't help it. I like diving headers too. Tackling and diving headers. They're two of the best things in football! Where was I? Oh yes. But can he tackle?  Well it remains to be seen.  But I must admit to feeling a huge amount of excitement when I saw his first interview last night when he described himself thus-: " I'm strong and fast and I love to make tackles"

Loves to make tackles!  By God those are words I've been desperate to hear!

Excited? I have rarely been as excited by the words of a young man since I was at school and Topper Harrington told me that If I crammed as much raw liver as I could into an old empty jam jar and then stuck my hampton in it, I'd be able to drag myself around my dormitory to my hearts content and experience the sensation as near as damnit to that of a real ladies fanny.  Of course. The only Liver I could get had already been cooked to within an inch of it's life in the school canteen and the only jar I could get was from the chemistry block and had previously had formaldehyde in it.

It wasn't quite the experience old Topper had promised.

giphy.gif

Still...I did build up a tremendous immunity to pain and despite my years my Pink Headed Darth Vader barely has a wrinkle.

But that's another story for another day.

Up against Joey (If he starts) Marko Grujić...

A loan signing from Liverpool, Marko Grujić looks likely to come in for Joe Ralls in midfield.  Grujić is in many ways an archetypal Warnock player - 6"3 energetic with his large stature and athleticism he can according to Jurgen Klopp "get box to box without really breaking sweat"..

Of course . After saying all that ...there'sa chance neither may start!

And what will Jos do exactly , what of Wednesday? 

Will he keep in the young lads at centre half?

The truth is....once more....we just don't know.  Who knows. Yes he's used the 3-5-2.  But since then...Loovens has been suspended.  The kids have played against Carlisle.

It would certainly be a big ask for the young lads. Carlisle is one thing.  Cardiff another sitting third and we know will be a physical unit. 6"3 battering ram Kenneth Zohore will certainly provide a real test to them if they do.

Pudil will almost certainly play the left sided centre half role. But will it be in a back 3

Will O'Grady or Neilson be risked?

Indeed will Jos want to risk going with wing backs full stop against Cardiff. Especially down their right. I have to admit I wouldn't fancy seeing Fox being doubled up on by Medez-Laing and Manga!!

I'm probably completely wrong. But I have a sneaky feeling we might see a change in system. We just don't know.

.But do you know what. Even though I do love the tactical stuff. I'm not really that bothered. Because the main thing is. Seeing a Wednesday team that look like they care again. Back 3 back 4....whatever. They close down. They get a foot in. They bust a b*llock again.

That Derby game....going back for a second. There was a moment when Ross Wallace screwed a shot wide.

But it wasn't the shot getting struck that impressed. (though it was a nice change after the previous month. No...it was the fact he'd run at full tilt 60 yards up the pitch to get there in the first place. That's what it's all about.

So it doesn't really matter if It's Rhodes and Joao or Nuhiu and Matias. It's doesn't Matter if it's Pudil and Fred or or one of the kids. We're doing the right things again. We're doing the things that make a Yorkshiremans heart soar. We're going out and giving it a bloody good go.

I saw a post on here earlier today about not getting carried away. I don't think we are. I think we're just a group  of people that expect to see the basic things done well and done with 100% commitment to the cause and when we do we appreciate it.  Do that and Wednesday fans will always back the team and make no mistake we'll have to do it today against Warnocks lot! 

COME ON WEDNESDAY

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Had all 3 of them, and got to say the paper cut was the worse.

Matias deserves a start to be fair. Nuhiu also.  

But who knows who he will pick.

Most impressive players against the blades for me were Pudil and Jones, so think they definitely start.

Nielsen made some good tackles on Tuesday aswell so he may feel he could trust him and continue with 3 at the back.

It's refreshing to think some of them that performed well at Carlisle may get a start.

As it would have been straight out with the new and back to the old with Carlos.

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Most impressive players against the blades for me were Pudil and Jones, so think they definitely start.

Nielsen made some good tackles on Tuesday aswell so he may feel he could trust him and continue with 3 at the back.

It's refreshing to think some of them that performed well at Carlisle may get a start.

As it would have been straight out with the new and back to the old with Carlos.

Jones has looked a different player since Jos's arrival. 

I know it's been only a short period of time he's had to work with the players. But there is a clear difference. 

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Bit of a risk playing Nielsen. He got better as the game went on on Tuesday but felt he looked less secure than O Grady. They are both really raw though. Don't know if I fancy either against Zahore and Hoillet

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Jones has looked a different player since Jos's arrival. 

I know it's been only a short period of time he's had to work with the players. But there is a clear difference. 

Exactly.  Like I said in another thread. Nuhiu could well be his main man up front. We just don't know. He maybe thinking Jones is my best holding midfielder. Pudil is my best centre back. 

And while we are all trying to keep a straight face, we have no idea what he has seen in training or what he can get out of these players by making them put in the graft.

5 minutes ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

Bit of a risk playing Nielsen. He got better as the game went on on Tuesday but felt he looked less secure than O Grady. They are both really raw though. Don't know if I fancy either against Zahore and Hoillet

It's those runs at pace from Hoillet under a head of steam that will be a big test. Especially in inexperienced defenders. 

Do wonder if Joey might come straight in to do a picking up job on him.

3 minutes ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

Which is why we may see this.

Venancio      Pudil

Pelupessy 

11 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Exactly.  Like I said in another thread. Nuhiu could well be his main man up front. We just don't know. He maybe thinking Jones is my best holding midfielder. Pudil is my best centre back. 

And while we are all trying to keep a straight face, we have no idea what he has seen in training or what he can get out of these players by making them put in the graft.

And that is part of the beauty of the current situation- the not knowing.

Pre match people are huddled around in pubs discussing the various options, the possibilities. It sparks the debates , the talking points.

And talking points are part of the rich tapestry of following a team aren't they. They're the things that join us all. 

The not knowing brings it's own buzz, a sense of anticipation and that what it should be like. Not a gloomy knowledge that it will be the same old same old.

Will it be Nuhiu and Matias...or Rhodes and Joao. Will it be three at the back or wil it be four.  

People are looking forward to finding out. Looking forward to their football again. 

I feel reinvigorated. ..and clearly so do the players. 

• Like 2

Going with this.....     

Wildsmith 

Fred  Pelupessy  Pudil

Palmer                                       Fox 

Jones       Reach

Boyd 

Matias     Joao 

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

And that is part of the beauty of the current situation- the not knowing.

Pre match people are huddled around in pubs discussing the various options, the possibilities. It sparks the debates , the talking points.

And talking points are part of the rich tapestry of following a team aren't they. They're the things that join us all. 

The not knowing brings it's own buzz, a sense of anticipation and that what it should be like. Not a gloomy knowledge that it will be the same old same old.

Will it be Nuhiu and Matias...or Rhodes and Joao. Will it be three at the back or wil it be four.  

People are looking forward to finding out. Looking forward to their football again. 

I feel reinvigorated. ..and clearly so do the players. 

And to think all this and we forget that all our best players are injured and out for the foreseeable.

6 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Going with this.....     

Wildsmith 

Fred  Pelupessy  Pudil

Palmer                                       Fox 

Jones       Reach

Boyd 

Matias     Joao 

Interesting Pazowl55...interesting.  Joey straight in at the heart of the defence. Stepping out in midfield majestically and pinging a 50 yard pass onto Matias' toe. 

Think I agree with your midfield 3.

Though I'm sure Cardiff wil park the bus and I have half a mind we'll just play Jones as the sitter and maybe let Reach off the leash a bit more try and get him on beyond the front pair.

Not sure re Matias.  Certainly did himself now harm in the week. Nice to see s player trying to get in behind. 

That said.  He and Joao can both be a bit unpredictable. .will they work together?

It's all exciting stuff.

Interesting comments in the week from Jos about Rhodes "excellent record" and about looking at ways to get that form back.  

Wonder if he'll start. 

Funnily enough I think the bigman would be unlucky to lose out. 

Forgetting the goal he scored (which I may as well as his detractors always do) I thought some of his link play was super on Tuesday. Those little threaded balls trying to get Matias in were some oft the cutest we've seen this season (though admittedly that hasn't been a high bar!)

The dink with the outside of the boot to set Matias away for the goal was a lovely spot and execution.

• Like 1