Jacob Butterfield

36 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I, like most, probably get drawn in by what players have done elsewhere. Fact is, Buttercup joined on loan with a view to a permanent switch. That implies he has to earn a move. Hasn't shown nearly enough life in his performances.

More than happy for the club to loan players, but not squad-fillers. Borrow players you couldn't ordinarily afford or attract that bring quality to the team. That's the way to use the loan market; as we did with Fryatt, Wickham, Barkley, Kenwyne, and Marshall etc.

Butterfield is certainly no better than what we already have in Lee, Bannan, Jones, Hutchinson, Abdi, and is probably behind Pelupessy now as well. Rather see Clare on the bench than Buttercup. 

Agree with that Wily.

Though four out of that five are crocked.

Would only take Jones to twist an ankle and thing in centre midfield would start looking pretty thin again.

Guest wilyfox
Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Agree with that Wily.

Though four out of that five are crocked.

Would only take Jones to twist an ankle and thing in centre midfield would start looking pretty thin again.

But Reach, Wallace, and Boyd have all been used more centrally by Jos. That brings numbers back up. Jones, Pelupessy, Reach, Boyd, Wallace, and Clare should be ample mids until we see the return of Lee, Bannan, Abdi, and Hutch - whenever that may be. 

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

But Reach, Wallace, and Boyd have all been used more centrally by Jos. That brings numbers back up. Jones, Pelupessy, Reach, Boyd, Wallace, and Clare should be ample mids until we see the return of Lee, Bannan, Abdi, and Hutch - whenever that may be. 

True. Think a lot depends on whether Jos sticks with this system too.

Interesting he feels he can use Boyd there too when Carlos insisted he wasn't suited to it.

It's certainly shown a different aspect to Reachs' game as a goal scoring midfielder.

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think the use of Bannan as a defensive midfielder highlights the folly of us playing players in unaccustomed roles. We all know what he brings playing further forward.

Same may apply to Butterfield. 

He's here till the end of the season anyway, nothing lost by seeing if Jos can the best from him. If not fair enough. 

Agreed.

Bannan isn’t, never was or will be a defensive midfielder and was largely wasted on the left.

Classic case of CC shoehorning his faves in at any cost - it drove me mad and hastened my desire to see him replaced.

If both Bannan and Butterfield are used properly they will be fine - Otherwise move them on.

The only thing to say in Butterfield's defence is that, apparently, he was really good against Villa.  I wasn't there but a friend whose judgment I really trust had him as possible MoM in an overall strong performance (surely our best this season?)  So: who knows.  Maybe Jos can reinvigorate him?  Not entirely without hope.

3 hours ago, mike312 said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that he played attacking midfield which is his preferred position but a particular manager (could have been McLaren) moved him to a more defensive position and his form wasn't as good. Maybe if he played further forward he'd be better? 

Play him further forward then, at least he won't have to compete for a place with Abdi.

Hope he proves me (and everyone else wrong) but I've yet to see anything from him that suggests he can play centre midfield for a team serious about promotion.

Just doesn't back himself  - reluctant to shoot, can't tackle, lack of movement, seems prone to moments of stupidity (how many penalties has he given away so far, 3?).  Hopefully a rocket or two from the new manager sorts him out, but thats a worry in itself if thats what he needs to get going at a club where he's trying to earn a transfer.   That Burton performance from him was one of the worst I've ever seen from a footballer, just went into hiding.

6 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

I don't think he knows what he is anymore. His confidence was low when he came and now its lower. He seems to be neither an attacking or defensive midfielder.

But he has talent on the ball. Good close control too. Think it was villa away? he helped boss midfield. 

Top three inches problem. Same as Rhodes. 

This!

I think by and large He has been an utter disaster but I then again I am a huge hypocrite because I am willing Rhodes to do well and make excuses for him and believe he will come good (against all evidence to the contrary so far) yet I hate Butterfield and want him to go back to Derby yesterday... Football fans are so inconsistent and unfair

• Haha 1