Jacob Butterfield

Lad has been taking a bit of stick recently , seems to be the latest whipping boy but I think he is a much better player than we have seen, I really dont think he is suited to be a deep lying midfielder more of an attacking one .

We really need to see what happens under Jos , he may stick him in tomorrow and have a stormer like he did at Villa . 

Clean slate for everyone eh ? 

Just now, hugeowl said:

Clean slate for everyone eh ? 

Should be.

Look at the improvement in Jones since Jos arrived.

I've been his biggest critic (DJ) but I thought he's had his best two matches in the last two games.

Butterfield helped dictate the entire rhythm and tempo against Villa. I don't want to go all Dave Jones here (the manager not the player!) but you don't become a bad player overnight.

used in a more advanced role I'm sure we'd see a different side to him.

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Should be.

I've been his biggest critic (DJ) but I thought he's had his best two matches in the last two games.

Butterfield helped dictate the entire rhythm and tempo against Villa. I don't want to go all Dave Jones here (the manager not the player!) but you don't become a bad player overnight.

And Wallace , Pudil , Palmer , Joao , Dave have all improved 

When he joined, thought he could be a good signing, had seen him play a few times (albeit some years ago) and thought he looked decent. However, probably suffering the Carlos hangover but he has been very disappointing. 

Both he and Jones v Burton in particular were clueless. To his credit, despite being completely gash and giving away a penalty, still ran and made an effort. Just seems completely shot of any confidence and unsure of what his role is. 

I don't think he's got worse overnight, just over the course of a few seasons. I know it's crude but according to transfermarkt:

2013/14: Middlesbrough, 31 appearances, 3 goals and 2 assists

2014/15: Huddersfield, 45 appearances, 6 goals and 7 assists

2015/16: Derby, 37 appearances, 7 goals and 1 assist

2016/17: Derby, 40 appearances, 1 goal and 3 assists

2017/18: Wednesday: 16 appearances, 0 goals and 1 assist

Interestingly he "only" scored 3 goals and made 1 assist in 2016 despite playing the majority of games in that calendar year

Seems to me he peaked in 2014 and 2015 and has been going downhill since 2016. So not really an overnight turn around into a bad player like Snooty says... I'm interpreting this as a slow descent into mediocrity at Championship level. Hope I'm proved wrong. 

Edited by StudentOwl

He's a typical gravy train championship player.Everyone says they are great must have players at this level and get games at top end sides but are nothing special.

Someone will pay £8m for him in the summer probably.Darren Potter Mk2.

14 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Should be.

I wonder how much of this is due to going in with a three man central midfield?  Under Carlos it was pretty much always a two and we were often up against a three in which Jones looked hapless.  Looks much better in a three man central midfield.  Maybe, hopefully, Butterfield will too.

8 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

I wonder how much of this is due to going in with a three man central midfield?  Under Carlos it was pretty much always a two and we were often up against a three in which Jones looked hapless.  Looks much better in a three man central midfield.  Maybe, hopefully, Butterfield will too.

I think the use of Bannan as a defensive midfielder highlights the folly of us playing players in unaccustomed roles. We all know what he brings playing further forward.

Same may apply to Butterfield. 

He's here till the end of the season anyway, nothing lost by seeing if Jos can the best from him. If not fair enough. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think the use of Bannan as a defensive midfielder highlights the folly of us playing players in unaccustomed roles. We all know what he brings playing further forward.

Same may apply to Butterfield. 

He's here till the end of the season anyway, nothing lost by seeing if Jos can the best from him. If not fair enough. 

bannan hated playing defensive midfield and that's not some rumour ive heard either , also  he didn't like playing on left .