Maceoid

More on "periodisation" and why it doesn't work

Reading this article about Mourinho and the Portugese coaches' love of periodisation:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/18/jose-mourinho-method-charisma-instability-manchester-united

This bit is telling – fitness not a requirement:

It means no drills to improve stamina or discrete skills; it means no gym work unless a player is recovering from injury; 

No sh*t sherlock.

• Agree 1

Some telling insights there:

• players buy into his philosophy but it does not last
  • third-season syndrome sets in

6 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Some telling insights there:

• players buy into his philosophy but it does not last
  • third-season syndrome sets in

portuguese ethos is sooo last season 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steelowl said:

portuguese ethos is sooo last season 

It was seen through quite easily by the "Sheffield Wednesday Fans" philosophy though. Make it "physical,fast, attack minded and committed"

• Agree 1

Remember Chelsea players commenting on the fact that the first day of training with Mourinho saw the footballs coming out straight away.

Vitor Fraud.

If you want to see an example of coaching done right, of philosophies applied from top to bottom that breed success, look at the German revolution.

How many trophies has Portugal won applying periodisation? How many Portuguese teams have won the CL?

Insightful article. 

By contrast, I was wondering if anybody knew what school of football/thought Jos comes from? I am sure it was mentioned on here the other week? 

Edited by AwokenGiant

Wow. I haven’t read Carlos’ book but assuming he has the same approach, that explains a great deal about Carlos at Hillsborough, the third season syndrome and the fitness issues. 

Just now, Andrew Robinson said:

Wow. I haven’t read Carlos’ book but assuming he has the same approach, that explains a great deal about Carlos at Hillsborough, the third season syndrome and the fitness issues. 

And...possibly the injury issues - i.e. no gym and strengthening work other than for rehabilitation! 

1 minute ago, Andrew Robinson said:

And the players frozen out.

"The identification of both an external enemy – the football authorities, referees, pundits, whoever – and “rats”, club figures who for offences real or imagined find themselves outside the inner circle, helps strengthen those bonds."

Horrendous way to treat professionals trying to forge a career.

• Agree 1

After forgiveness for offences real or imagined our rats are emerging from their rat holes again

• Agree 1

It fits with Mourinho's two/three season successes and subsequent fall out with certain players. Carlos' CV has been more short term over the years wherever he's been. With us there was a dramatic impact in season one with less apparent flair and energy in season two. Completely gone by season three. It'll be interesting to watch Swansea over the short term. The philosophy might well keep them in the PL. Meanwhile at S6 we wait to see if the squad responds to JL's fresh approach. Looking positive after the first two games.

21 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

After forgiveness for offences real or imagined our rats are emerging from their rat holes again

All they wanted was a little taste of the cheese...

:sad: