Minutes Applause

Trying not to sound bad really, but all these minutes applause people try to do, for people passing or other reasons.

I think its getting a bit out of hand, then people get upset/angry if there is no minutes applause when they wanted one.

I think there should be one at the last home game of the season with there pictures on the scoreboard.

Does anyone else have thoughts? 

12 minutes ago, bens299 said:

Trying not to sound bad really, but all these minutes applause people try to do, for people passing or other reasons.

I think its getting a bit out of hand, then people get upset/angry if there is no minutes applause when they wanted one.

I think there should be one at the last home game of the season with there pictures on the scoreboard.

Does anyone else have thoughts? 

I agree with this, but you're a bit behind the times.

The club have done the right thing by bringing in the New Years game minutes applaud for passing Owls. 

I too was getting tired of it, but the club have sorted it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bodhidharma said:

Think it means alot to those who have lost people. 

I guess you are free not to join in. 

You are right on both counts - what i don't really understand is the self importance of people asking in the first place.

I have a number of family members that have gone to Hillsborough for decades and decades - I would never dream of asking people (who have no clue who they are) to give them a minutes applause at a match when they pass away.

Unless you have done something extraordinary for the club then the minutes applause at the start of the year is more than enough

Just now, torres said:

You are right on both counts - what i don't really understand is the self importance of people asking in the first place.

I have a number of family members that have gone to Hillsborough for decades and decades - I would never dream of asking people (who have no clue who they are) to give them a minutes applause at a match when they pass away.

Unless you have done something extraordinary for the club then the minutes applause at the start of the year is more than enough

Tbh it's not something I would expect of people who don't know me. 

I suppose such things get publicised on social media and people just join in. 

7 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

The club have done the right thing by bringing in the New Years game minutes applaud for passing Owls. 

its just I have seen them recently coming up again on twitter, facebook etc 

12 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

I write to the club when Lee Stafford was the chairman who said they where interested in the idea ,i'm glad to see it has now been implemented although I think the display of pictures and names would improve the situation

3 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

I disagree with them so don't join in. 

I dont join in either.

its not that i disagree with them but tbh i find it impossible to have sympathy/empathy for folk i dont know anything about/never met. 

I wish i wasnt like that an my Mrs often says im a heartless bstd, 

what happened to drawing the curtains and 'asking for privacy at this difficult time?'

strangers asking strangers to be sad/applaud/sing for a fellow stranger.... strange

The problem with them is that some people actively request a minute's applause for their relatives on social media, as if the deceased was somehow a bigger fan or more deserving of recognition than someone else. Was a bit weird at the Lane last week, at half time they read out several obituaries but then had a minute's applause on the hour mark for just one of them, were they judged to be a better fan than the others or something?  The annual reflection for all fans who we lost in the last year is more fitting.  If it was a former club legend passing then by all means arrange one for before or during the match, but everybody else should be included in the general tribute - as mentioned above, putting names/photos on the video screen at the same time would be a nice touch. 

Oh, apart from me obviously, I'm a superfan so deserve an individual tribute. However I intend to live until I'm at least 120 so you'll have to honour me during the penalty shootout in the 2092 playoffs.

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's a manufactured gesture.

Means literally nothing in the grand scheme of things

If it provides a grieving family with just a few moments comfort after losing a loved one then I am more than happy to join in with a minutes applause.

I think I get the point you're trying to make but to that family it's a little more than a manufactured gesture.

I was talking to a bloke the other day and asked what his dad does for a living. He said his dad had sadly passed.

I felt bad so asked him what he did before he died. He said he turned blue and mucked his pants.

Sad.

Edited by heppers
  • Haha 9

really gets on my nerves all these minutes applauses at every game. i totally respect the one around christmas for everyone who has died that year but it just seems like there is one every game

i'm there to watch the match and not clap someone i've never met