When did owls become pigs

When I hear them call us pigs it always reminds of Leeds singing Leeds scum.

Psychological projection - 'Pigjection'. Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans piggies defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.

15 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

A Blunt I know swears by this "truth"...

If there was any truth in this, why would they not call us cows? Or lambs? Or tray of eggs?

Dumb f**ks

It makes absolutely no sense. The butcher has mastery over the pigs, he isn't a pig, therefore it implies that they themselves are the pigs and we in effect own them, after all they only exist because of us.

Even Meat Loaf knows this, he recorded a song called "In The Land Of The Pig The Butcher Is King" 

4 hours ago, grandpaowl said:

In the buildup and aftermath of darbyday I am puzzled about the number of blades fans who refer to us as "the pigs". I have supported "the owls" since the days of Quicksall, Froggat Finney etc and easy aware that certain ardent fans would not eat bacon because of its red and white hue. Completely understandable if a little extreme. The connection to pigs therefore is obvious. When then and why did the term suddenly apply to us. To my knowledge Wednesday have never had any away kits with any red in them apart from the Sanderson kit in the 90's. Can anyone enlighten me or ate there a lot of color blind blades. 

Theirs nothing original about those classless tramps,they were founded after us, they've got our old nickname, they started playing in stripes because we played in stripes, they've always been the pigs, I had a great uncle who use to cut off the streaky end of a full rasher of bacon and throw it on the fire, because it resembled the United shirt. The latest one they've jumped on is the 

City is Ours song, in a couple of years, they'll swear blind they started it. 

I've just seen the blue and white apron classic, blue and white apron was commonly worn by general grocers, butchers wore red and white. lol

5 hours ago, zzmdu said:

The truth is they copied us and starting calling it us in the late 1980s. 

Ask a Blade why and you'll get a variety of responses, including but not limited to these one.

:Owl badge upside down looks like a pig

: Blue & white stripes = butchers apron

:Use of Hoggs Coaches in 1970s/80s

:they've even photo shopped maps to say Hillsborough was build on a pig farm

The truth is they copied us, it's in their DNA.

"Late 80s?" We were calling each other pigs at school in the 70s!

Ask a Blade why they have a statue in their ground of one of our most legendary players, Derek Dooley; a man who never played for them but who did a good job in their backroom. The answer is they can only mimic what we do and say.

(TBF that statue should have been erected at Hillsborough but that was never going to happen while he was employed at Bramall Lane)

United were calling it Wednesday from 1974 ish, shortly after Wednesdays new badge came on the seen.

I remember the new Wednesday badge being drawn as grafitti all over the place in Sheffield.

Unitedites used to just add a snout and a curly tail. It was a common site in the 70’s.

I know a few older Wednesdayites, they say they started calling it us from the early 80’s.

The stuff about bacon or pig farms might have some coincedemtal truth but that’s not the reason the pig name started.

if it’s bevause of red and white stripes then why did SW never use the term before the 80’s, also that would mean Sunderland, Stoke, Brentford would be named the pigs. Also if Hillsboro was built on a pig farm then how every Unitedite I’ve spoke to can never remember the term mentioned in the 50’s or 60’s.

Think it’s a it childish myself, never personally used it but my uncle and his friend used to call it Wednesday when I went to my first ever match in 1975.

The older members of my family were Wednesdayites but had never heard of the word pig when my uncle joked that their new badge was a pig not an Owl.

Edited by sheffsteel
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sheffsteel said:

United were calling it Wednesday from 1974 ish, shortly after Wednesdays new badge came on the seen.

I remember the new Wednesday badge being drawn as grafitti all over the place in Sheffield.

Unitedites used to just add a snout and a curly tail. It was a common site in the 70’s.

I know a few older Wednesdayites, they say they started calling it us from the early 80’s.

The stuff about bacon or pig farms might have some coincedemtal truth but that’s not the reason the pig name started.

Think it’s a it childish myself, never personally used it but my uncle and his friend used to call it Wednesday when I went to my first ever match in 1975.

The older members of my family were Wednesdayites but had never heard of the word pig when my uncle joked that their new badge was a pig not an Owl.

Shush, you can't post the truth, they'll make something up and they'll say it so much that they'll accept it as fact.

I never use it either, it's bloody embarrassing. 

Edited by BarnseyB

10 minutes ago, Fast Forward said:

Ask a Blade why they have a statue in their ground of one of our most legendary players, Derek Dooley; a man who never played for them but who did a good job in their backroom. The answer is they can only mimic what we do and say.

(TBF that statue should have been erected at Hillsborough but that was never going to happen while he was employed at Bramall Lane)

Agree with that one. Although Dooley was a real gent and a Sheffield legend.

He was more of a Wednesday legend than anything to do with United.

It’s as though the motivation behind the stature is of one upmanship because by rights SWFC should have some permanent tribute to Dooley.

5 minutes ago, sheffsteel said:

Agree with that one. Although Dooley was a real gent and a Sheffield legend.

He was more of a Wednesday legend than anything to do with United.

It’s as though the motivation behind the stature is of one upmanship because by rights SWFC should have some permanent tribute to Dooley.

I take it you're a Unitedite? That's fine, but the point is he was a Wednesday legend, not a United legend. 

It underlines the point that you just steal our clothes.

10 minutes ago, BarnseyB said:

Shush, you can't post the truth, they'll make something up and they'll say it so much that they'll accept it as fact.

I never use it either, it's bloody embarrassing. 

That is the honest truth.

Wednedays simple badge was and still is pretty iconic, instantly recognisable and quite easy to draw.

i was a kid in the late 70’s, so a bit immature. We used to draw the Owls badge in class, show it to our Wednesday friends, who’s say “thought you supported United”.

Then you do this trick of drawing in a snout and curly tail and re-show it to the Wednesday pals, it felt like a clever magic trick at the time.

5 minutes ago, Fast Forward said:

I take it you're a Unitedite? That's fine, but the point is he was a Wednesday legend, not a United legend. 

It underlines the point that you just steal our clothes.

Agree he was a Wednesday legend first, which makes him a Sheffield legend and eventually earnt loads of respect working at Bramall Lane.

He was a thoroughly decent bloke so I’m not bothered where he’s honoured really but it should be a Hillsboro more than anywhere else.

Agree, it is a kind of stealing one of your legends, As I said a bit of one upmanship that I’m not comfortable with.

Edited by sheffsteel