When did owls become pigs

In the buildup and aftermath of darbyday I am puzzled about the number of blades fans who refer to us as "the pigs". I have supported "the owls" since the days of Quicksall, Froggat Finney etc and easy aware that certain ardent fans would not eat bacon because of its red and white hue. Completely understandable if a little extreme. The connection to pigs therefore is obvious. When then and why did the term suddenly apply to us. To my knowledge Wednesday have never had any away kits with any red in them apart from the Sanderson kit in the 90's. Can anyone enlighten me or ate there a lot of color blind blades. 

It’s a phenomenon called….pig logic!

Don’t try and understand it. Let’s just say like their current ground and nickname it’s something they’ve taking from us to use themselves. There is perfectly logically reason as to why we refer to the pigs….as pigs. All they have done is call it us back for one simple reason…………we called it them first. Brilliant!

UTMO! FTP!

If you have to go to great lengths to try and make something plausible, for example by creating fictional "library documents" strewn with lies and basic errors and still passing them around and presenting them as facts decades later, or photoshopping old ordnance survey maps, then it probably isn't true.

• Haha 3

Posted before but removed by the mods

This goes right back to 1889, after Sheffield Wednesday, formed in 1867, had vacated Bramall Lane due to a disputes over rent.. Sheffield United were established and that subsequently became their home. It was from this that the uncomplimentary name 'the Pigs" originated by the Steel workers who followed Wednesday, aimed at the Unitedites or Laneites as they were known back then. It derived from Pig Iron, an intermediate product in Steel production hinting that Wednesday, regarded as the senior football club, were pure and therefore 'The Steel'of the City and United were the "Pig Iron". Indeed to this day, supporters of both teams refer to each other as 'Pigs', as the United fans claim that the site where Hillsborough Stadium now stands was once a farm. However, that claim does not correspond with official survey maps. The site where the stadium stands was actually once part of the Hillsborough House estate, previously owned by silversmith J.W. Dixon, where after his death, the land was split into 14 plots to be sold, with a 10 acre plot sold to The Wednesday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, grandpaowl said:

In the buildup and aftermath of darbyday I am puzzled about the number of blades fans who refer to us as "the pigs". I have supported "the owls" since the days of Quicksall, Froggat Finney etc and easy aware that certain ardent fans would not eat bacon because of its red and white hue. Completely understandable if a little extreme. The connection to pigs therefore is obvious. When then and why did the term suddenly apply to us. To my knowledge Wednesday have never had any away kits with any red in them apart from the Sanderson kit in the 90's. Can anyone enlighten me or ate there a lot of color blind blades. 

The truth is they copied us and starting calling it us in the late 1980s. 

Ask a Blade why and you'll get a variety of responses, including but not limited to these one.

:Owl badge upside down looks like a pig

: Blue & white stripes = butchers apron

:Use of Hoggs Coaches in 1970s/80s

:they've even photo shopped maps to say Hillsborough was build on a pig farm

The truth is they copied us, it's in their DNA.

• Thanks 2

Originally in the 40s i was told they were known as bacon backs because of their shirts and through the decades got changed to pigs.

They bizarrely started calling it back to us in the 70s 80s sometime for no reason.

Some of them even went to great lengths by inventing a story up on Wikipedia about hillsbro being and ex pig farm ...all lies and laughable .

Edited by TaxiMark

27 minutes ago, OasisOwl72 said:

It’s a phenomenon called….pig logic!

Don’t try and understand it. Let’s just say like their current ground and nickname it’s something they’ve taking from us to use themselves. There is perfectly logically reason as to why we refer to the pigs….as pigs. All they have done is call it us back for one simple reason…………we called it them first. Brilliant!

UTMO! FTP!

Piganomics, 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TaxiMark said:

Originally in the 40s i was told they were known as bacon backs because of their shirts and through the decades got changed to pigs.

That bizarrely started calling it back to us in the 70s 80s sometime.

Some of them even went to great lengths by inventing a story up on Wikipedia about hillsbro being and ex pig farm ...all lies and laughable .

This and zzmdu are both right.

At some point in the 70/80s some of our fans started calling them Pigs. I’d never heard the term  used before this time.

Incredibly a short while after this some Unitedites decided to use it in reference to us though there was no logic in it at all.

They are unreal, if only they could come up with something original, unfortunately their default is to hate anything to do with Wednesday, before they support their team

They were formed by a Wednesday chairman and this has caused irreversible jealousy ever since.

Sadly there is no cure its  an affliction that all their fans have in their DNA.

it's another demonstration of their lack of originality we gave them their existence their official nickname and their ground 

they are obsessed with the sibling inferiority that means they will copy everything in a vain attempt to be like us 

whatever their transient league status they won't, can't and never will be on a par with us 

Guest The Horse
2 minutes ago, steelowl said:

it's another demonstration of their lack of originality we gave them their existence their official nickname and their ground 

they are obsessed with the sibling inferiority that means they will copy everything in a vain attempt to be like us 

whatever their transient league status they won't, can't and never will be on a par with us 

Absolutely this.

They're just lazy copy and pasters.
Took our nickname cos they couldn't be arsed to come up with one of their own.
Took our shirt but just coloured it the opposite.
Took our songs.
Took our insults.
And that's just off the top of my head. Probably umpteen more.
Nothing original about them at all.

3 hours ago, Reallondonowl said:

Posted before but removed by the mods

This goes right back to 1889, after Sheffield Wednesday, formed in 1867, had vacated Bramall Lane due to a disputes over rent.. Sheffield United were established and that subsequently became their home. It was from this that the uncomplimentary name 'the Pigs" originated by the Steel workers who followed Wednesday, aimed at the Unitedites or Laneites as they were known back then. It derived from Pig Iron, an intermediate product in Steel production hinting that Wednesday, regarded as the senior football club, were pure and therefore 'The Steel'of the City and United were the "Pig Iron". Indeed to this day, supporters of both teams refer to each other as 'Pigs', as the United fans claim that the site where Hillsborough Stadium now stands was once a farm. However, that claim does not correspond with official survey maps. The site where the stadium stands was actually once part of the Hillsborough House estate, previously owned by silversmith J.W. Dixon, where after his death, the land was split into 14 plots to be sold, with a 10 acre plot sold to The Wednesday.

That's what I thought too... Blades are the byproduct of Sheffield like pig iron of steel... so pigs ;)

It's a fact, they can try to protest however much they want, they'll always be just a byproduct :p