A bad press.....?

Fans and club reputations  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Do fans really represent the clubs they follow?

• Yes. Like or not when people go to games they represent the club.
    • No. They're individuals and should be dealt with as such.

Cracking result again the blunts.

The main thread on here since though has been violence and today The Star leads with.... (picture below). 

Does negative press that the club receives via fan behaviour affect you in any way?

Stir emotion of any kind?

Or is it water off a ducks back and part and parcel?

Do you think about the club when attending games in terms of your own behaviour?

Have your ever confronted or reported anyone because you felt they were damaging the clubs image?

2018-01-15 21.43.19.png

3 minutes ago, unkastav said:

Sexist chants heard at a derby match scandal. Welcome to 2018:carlosswfc:

Think that’s the point, it’s 2018 and if the reports are true then it has no place and it shames Wednesday fans.  Like to see the stars take on the bottle though!

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Funnily enough the star and local MPs didn't mention the shocking behaviour of a few hundred of their fans on Friday night, who then made a mini-documentary glorifying the attacks on owls' fans which is on social media. Instead it focused on a bit of owls baiting, on a crude (and wrong) 'song' at the game - a song! I not belittling this, but in context of fireworks and bottles being thrown at owls' fans walking to the away end might, in my view perhaps deserve equal coverage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some fans absolutely hate the opposition that much they they wish to sing this sort of thing. We’re not the only fan base to have a minority of fans who sing horrific stuff, and I think in the main Wednesday songs don’t cross the line....or am I being naive? 

It’s tribalism. You sing summat nasty about us, we’ll sing it back. No one stops to think about the young girl on the end of that chant, or the kids of Chansiri who may ask why the red and white half are chanting stuff about their dad. it’s all about trying to get one over on the opposition. Middle aged blokes, people from all walks of life, from lawyers to brick layers. They all want to blow off some steam at the Football, and throw some abuse at the opposition. 

But what does annoy me though is there’s no mention of the songs blades have sang over the years. The disrespectful song they have about our Thai chairman, or the songs glorifying Ched Evans’ actions that night. No mention of that. No mention of the bottle, or anything else. Let’s focus on Sheffield Wednesday. I know the songs not on, and two wrongs don’t make a right. But I just think the local media are really quick to stick the boot in on us at every opportunity at the moment. 

But how do you control bad chants?  as with racism perhaps you can snuff it out by making all fans accountable for preventing it. Make it easy for people to report hate chants. 

The thing is, and I’m sure this contributes to the general behaviour of fans, we’re treated like second class citizens. I think Sheffield fans get a raw deal from the local authority’s. 

• Like 2

First world problems eh . Offence is taken never given . Britain seems to want to lead the world in taking offence . Let's all sit in silence just in case what we say offends someone . People when in groups shout things , if they don't get a response they stop . But let's all be offended ban em all its 2018 no one should ever have to listen to anything they don't like . I will never ever be ashamed of what other people choose to do . In the wednesday crowd like all crowds of fans world wide there will be people who have committed horrendous crimes but as long as they don't say something someone doesn't like no one cares . 

18 minutes ago, Animis said:

Funnily enough the star and local MPs didn't mention the shocking behaviour of a few hundred of their fans on Friday night, who then made a mini-documentary glorifying the attacks on owls' fans which is on social media. Instead it focused on a bit of owls baiting, on a crude (and wrong) 'song' at the game - a song! I not belittling this, but in context of fireworks and bottles being thrown at owls' fans walking to the away end might, in my view perhaps deserve equal coverage.

Mention the above and you don’t get on the front of the local rag. Mention some sexism and you do that’s what it’s all about. By the way these chants are disgusting and all of us on here don’t think they are nice and it’s about time some of our fans grew up. 

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

How do we draw the line between banter and genuinly out of order

Does it have to be law?

Are we more understanding these days. More aware? More educated?

Or are we becoming soft and too easily offended?

Think that's a major issue in society at the moment to be honest.

• Like 1