Where Are They Now?

7 minutes ago, steveger said:

Real nice bloke as well from what i have read on here in the past... shame how things turn out...

From Wiki:

Near the end of the 2011–12 season, Folly was advised that his contract with Aberdeen would not be extended.[13] On 25 August 2012, Folly had to retire from professional football after being diagnosed with chronic pulmonary embolism.

I have heard the same.

Have the utmost respect for someone who does not think they are above certain professions because of who they used to be or what they used to do for a living. Wish him all the best

9 minutes ago, steveger said:

Real nice bloke as well from what i have read on here in the past... shame how things turn out...

From Wiki:

Near the end of the 2011–12 season, Folly was advised that his contract with Aberdeen would not be extended.[13] On 25 August 2012, Folly had to retire from professional football after being diagnosed with chronic pulmonary embolism.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/yoann-folly-aberdeen-freed-me-but-the-medics-877061

45 minutes ago, flo said:

Lloyd Sam?

Paul Corry?

Oshilaji?

Olifinjana? :laugh:

Yoann Folly?

Lloyd Sam eventually moved to The States in 2012 and played over 100 games (20 goals) for the New York Red Bulls over the next four seasons

He then moved to DC United where he clocked up another 43 games (5 goals) and now aged 33 will presumably start the 2018 season with them

Paul Corry, as has been mentioned, retired through injury just recently, aged 26

He suffered a cruciate ligament injury in Sept '15 whilst at Northampton and although he signed for Shamrock Rovers last season he only managed 2 apps off the bench

Deji Oshilaja has spent most of his career to date behind farmed out on loan by Cardiff

His contract with them expired last summer and he signed for AFC Wimbledon where he's been close to ever-present this season

Seyi Olofinjana :laugh: joined IK Start in Norway after his brief spell with us

He retired after 7 games and the following season took up a coaching role with Wolves' academy

Yoann Folly's retirement through illness is mentioned above

• Like 1

While we're on the subject of Shamrock Rovers - well we were, sort of ...

I'll give Stephen McPhail a quick mention (not that he deserves it)

Handing him a short-term contract was either Dave Jones' last desperate act or else his parting gift to Wednesdayites everywhere

No surprise that McPhail should leave us the minute that deal expired (January 2014) or that he'd join Shamrock Rovers the very next month

What is surprising though is him going on to make over 50 apps for his 'home' side before retiring at the end of 2016 aged 37 (or thereabouts)

That said, they probably had to move the nearest bus stop closer to his front doorstep to save his legs   :dry:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

While we're on the subject of Shamrock Rovers - well we were, sort of ...

I'll give Stephen McPhail a quick mention (not that he deserves it)

Handing him a short-term contract was either Dave Jones' last desperate act or else his parting gift to Wednesdayites everywhere

No surprise that McPhail should leave us the minute that deal expired (January 2014) or that he'd join Shamrock Rovers the very next month

What is surprising though is him going on to make over 50 apps for his 'home' side before retiring at the end of 2016 aged 37 (or thereabouts)

That said, they probably had to move the nearest bus stop closer to his front doorstep to save his legs   :dry:

Have you got any stats on how many corners he took in those 50 games

• Like 1

There may be one or two names to add to this thread once the winter breaks are over and/or summer leagues begin, but in the meantime ...

I thought it worth mentioning that the Portuguese 'black hole' that had previously swallowed three of our ex-favourites has decided to spit 'em back out!

Jose Semedo at Vitoria Setubal, Filipe Melo at Chaves and Vincent Sasso at Belenenses have ALL become week-in week-out regulars

Indeed, Vince was even on the scoresheet yesterday - earning his side a 1-0 win at home to Feirense  (att: 2,286)

• Thanks 1

One name I've been waiting to mention ...

CLAUDE DIELNA

He'll always be remembered for his goal at Blackburn and threatening to pull his shorts down in celebration

Arrived on a free from Olympiacos and handed 23 appearances by Stuart Gray (14 starts) and that was it

Aside from a handful of games for the U23s, and at least one more cracking goal, he spent the rest of his Wednesday career out on loan

First in Slovakia with Slovan Bratislava and then more notably in Romania with Dinamo Bucuresti

I felt sure he'd make that move permanent given the run of results he helped 'inspire' but no, with his time at Wednesday over he headed over to

play in the MLS with New England Revolution, finishing their 2017 season by clocking up 11 appearances

That's where he is now 

They opened their new season with a 2-0 defeat at Philadelphia Union and Claude marked the occasion with a red card  :dry:

• Like 1

Stumbled across this today

Basically, it's a bunch of our U21 Class of 2013 showing off ...

Some slick tricks, I'm sure you'll agree

So, where are they now?

Khalil Lambin left us when his 1yr contract expired

He then moved around Europe spending the next season in Israel (2 clubs), the one after that in Belgium,  and Macedonia the season after that

Now aged 25 you'll find the Ivory Coast 'prospect' in Switzerland

Apparently on his second club there - FC Bavois in the Swiss 3rd tier, although details are hard to come by

Mani Dieseruvwe followed the loan route (Hyde Utd., Fleetwood, Chesterfield) before making that last move permanent in 2015

Loaned out again, this time from Chezzie to Mansfield, before ending up in the National League with Kidderminster

Now aged 23 he turns out for National League (North) leaders Salford City - of wealthy ex-ManU owners fame

Poor scoring record for a striker though - career total to date 9 goals in 104 senior appearances - none of those in a Wednesday shirt

Ayo Obileye - pretty sure he did pull on a 1st team shirt, away at Bradford in the Paint Trophy

That was it though, moved to Charlton after that but never made their senior side

Loaned from there to Dagenham and then moved on to Eastleigh in the National League

Also 23yr old, he remains a regular there (30apps - 7 goals this season) which is better than his team mate Reda has managed

Johnny Fenwick is more of a mystery

Seems to be a Geordie who has now found his way to the USA

He's also 23 now and listed on Carolina Dynamos 'roster' :dry: but all I've managed to find is clips of him playing for High Point University ??

Yeh - me neither

Caolan Lavery needs no introduction however

34 senior league apps for us - 6 goals

Loans spells at Southend, Plymouth, Chezzie & Portsmouth - totalling another 32 senior apps & 10 goals

Then opted to become just another inconsequential lump of tainted bacon

He's 25 now and scored his first goal for Toytown the other day, but frankly folks, who cares  :mellow:

• Like 1

Quick addition to the above post ^^^^

Congrats to Mani Dieseruvwe for helping Salford City secure the National League (North) title and promotion to English football's 5th tier

He started the game (h) to Boston Utd but was subbed off after an hour with his side trailing 2-0

Finished 2-1 (att: 2,466) but the result was academic in the end

• Like 1

On 19/01/2018 at 14:54, Ethel The Tree said:

Time to chuck another name in, and it's back to that crazy summer of 2012 ...

By my estimation we brought sixteen players in before the end of August that year

Hardly surprising then that the type of momentum you might normally expect after promotion was effectively strangled at birth

So anyway ...

RHYS McCABE

Could be argued that perhaps half a dozen of those new recruits were signed as investments for the future

McCabe, like Paul Corry, might easily have fallen into that category had they not been thrown in at the deep end before either looked good 'n ready

So desperate was Jones to find a winning formula using his 'own' players rather than those he'd inherited from Gary Megson

But I digress ...

Rhys McCabe was considered quite a capture at the time

19yr old, he'd impressed when given a run in the Rangers side earlier that year

Of course, Rangers were going through the process of being re-invented at the time and that meant we were able to pick up one of their brightest prospects for free

... except some legal wrangle ensued which meant we had to fork out an undisclosed fee about four months later

Looking back, moving from Glasgow to Sheffield shouldn't have been such a culture shock for the youngster - just as I'd imagine there'd be more pressure playing for Rangers than playing for Wednesday - but it's fair to say he never really lived up to the promise

Maybe he had problems settling in - after all, he was, apparently, taken in under Gary Madine's protective wing   :mellow:

Either way, it didn't work out

The majority of his 30 league apps (1 goal) came in that first season, virtually none during his 3rd and final season under Stuart Gray

He was duly released when his contract expired and spent the next two seasons playing for Scottish League 1 side Dunfermline Athletic (38 apps - 5 goals) before trying his luck over in the Irish Republic last summer with Sligo Rovers (13 apps - 4 goals)

And that's where he is now, with the 2018 Irish Premier Division season due to start next month

Anyone else spot the name last night?

Yes, apparently Rhys McCabe plays for Airdrie these days - at centre back too, by all accounts

He stepped up to score a late equaliser from the spot in the 1st leg of their playoff away at Queens Park

2nd leg is played on Sunday with a place in the Scottish Championship awaiting the winners

I wondered what he'd been up to and it reminded me of this thread

Well since 2018, he'd spent another couple of seasons playing in Ireland before returning to Scotland

A brief stint at Brechin City was followed by a season in the Championship with Queen Of The South

Then on to Airdrie where (appearance and goals wise) he's enjoyed what is probably the most successful

season of his career to date

Let's hope he can cap it off with promotion

Saying that, his 30th birthday is around the corner

Has he underachieved, or was this always likely to be his level?

3 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Anyone else spot the name last night?

Yes, apparently Rhys McCabe plays for Airdrie these days - at centre back too, by all accounts

He stepped up to score a late equaliser from the spot in the 1st leg of their playoff away at Queens Park

2nd leg is played on Sunday with a place in the Scottish Championship awaiting the winners

I wondered what he'd been up to and it reminded me of this thread

Well since 2018, he'd spent another couple of seasons playing in Ireland before returning to Scotland

A brief stint at Brechin City was followed by a season in the Championship with Queen Of The South

Then on to Airdrie where (appearance and goals wise) he's enjoyed what is probably the most successful

season of his career to date

Let's hope he can cap it off with promotion

Saying that, his 30th birthday is around the corner

Has he underachieved, or was this always likely to be his level?

Watched that last night.  Never recognised him.

4 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

What, physically ... or style of play?

Both.  They showed a close up when he scored.  I’d have never picked him as being the Rhys McCabe who played for us.  The second leg’s on BBC Alba Sunday, have a look.