Where Are They Now?

On 22/01/2018 at 14:19, SmokieOwl36-0 said:

What’s Sergiu Bus up to these days?

A late-transfer window flurry around this time three years ago brought in two loans ...

Will Keane from ManU and the return of Lewis McGugan - both until the end of the season

And three purchases ...

Marnick Vermijl also from ManU, Filipe Melo and

SERGIU BUS

22yr old Romanian striker who topped the Bulgarian scoring charts at the time with 10 goals from 19 games for CSKA Sofia

Naturally, all fees were shrouded by undisclosure but the word going round suggested all three arrived for fees around the £300k mark - bargains!

Sadly (as is often the case with these 'obscure' recruits), Sergiu's career at Wednesday barely got off the ground

He was handed two league starts by Stuart Gray and a further 5 apps as sub and replied with that solitary goal (Huddersfield at home)

He then scored the first goal of the Carlos era ...

... but apart from that glorious night in the League Cup at Newcastle (where he missed probably the clearest chance I've ever seen), his opportunities were restricted to just two more apps from the bench and the occasional game for the U23s

He finished that season in Italy on loan at Serie B side Salernitana (10 games - 1 goal)

Then spent 2016/17 back to Romania with Astra Giurgiu (14 games - 3 goals in all competitions) and although our OS mentioned an undisclosed fee at the time it seems more likely he was 'released'

This season, he's back in Bulgaria playing for Levski alongside ex-PL 'favourites' Jordi Gomez and Gabriel Obertan and, it has to be said, doing rather well for himself

A regular with 5 goals from 20 games with Levski currently sitting 3rd in the league

Still only 25yr old - plenty of time to make a name for himself

• Like 1

Here's a strange one (well it is for me, anyway)

ALEX LOPEZ

Rolled up in the summer of 2015 as a 27yr old midfielder from La Liga side Celta de Vigo, where he'd basically spent his entire career

As is common with loans, he'd signed a new deal before arriving at S6 - to allow his parent club to cash in no doubt, should his time in England prove successful

So was his time with us a success?

I'd say so - he took a while to get to grips with the Championship, but improved as the season went on

He made a total of 27 appearances in all competitions (19 starts) and form-wise was a shade unlucky to miss the play-off final

I don't know if we even tried to bring him back, tbf - never mind be put off by his wage demands or his club's valuation

But he would spend the following season out on loan once more, this time to Spanish 2nd tier side Real Valladolid (30 games - 1 goal) before being released last summer

Now, a couple of weeks past his 30th birthday, he's with Sporting Gijon (also in the Spanish 2nd tier)

He's had two starts in 5 apps, the last being on 1st October, then a couple of games as an unused sub and then nothing

Wonder if he's available?

• Like 1

Great stuff Ethel. That Leeds game (mainly memorable for that neanderthal Cawley tw@tting Kirkland) you reference was significant for a few obscure Wednesday players.

I remember Bothroyd's contagious lethargy all too well. Ironically, it was probably that Leeds game that summed him up, precisely because he played well - he only bothered to make an effort when the Sky cameras were in and David Moyes was there to watch Ross Barkley, who we had on loan at the time.

Bothroyd's last action in a Wednesday shirt epitomised everything that was awful about us, shanking the ball into Row Z of the kop from about 12 yards out to finish a 4-1 home defeat against Watford - on my fecking birthday :duntmatter:

Incidentally, I'm sure that Paul Corry made his debut in that Leeds game and played fairly well. Was saddened to read that he's had to retire due to a persistent knee injury. As you say we signed him in that summer along with Rhys McCabe, and I remember that the longer Stuart Gray left McCabe out of the team, the more everyone wanted to see him play - the longer it went on, the more convinced we were that he'd be a brilliant player and solve all our midfield problems. 

Naturally, Gray knew that he was absolutely rubbish, McCabe did next to nothing for us except score a brilliant goal against Charlton.

• Like 1

When I did the Sergiu Bus piece I was almost tempted to post the Huddersfield clip

... except the Youtube highlights are about 7mins long and I'm sure anyone (but me) would be interested enough to watch

But it was interesting though, so here it is ...

Perhaps notable for a) our line-up:

Westwood; Vermijl, Lees, Zayatte, Mattock; Lee(May) McGugan, Hutchinson, Isgrove; Nuhiu(Bus) Lavery(Maguire)

b) the state of the pitch (it was April), and

c) that sublime piece of skill from Atdhe (no-one try and tell me it was a fluke!) and the equally brilliant clearance off the line

19 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

Kim Olsen

David Lucas

Ndumbu Nsungu!

Jon Beswetherick

Stevie May

Take your pick of those legends :)

In between gigs on the bench at Preston and lengthy spells on the treatment table

Stevie was last seen on the road supporting Metallica

1200px-Stevie_May_2016.jpg

The others on your list all hung their boots up years ago

David Lucas being the most recent - apparently he's now a goalkeeping coach at Fleetwood

17 minutes ago, newbster said:

Giles de bilde

Now 46yr old

Apparently got into Belgian tv after retiring

First as a football analyst, then (wouldja believe it) as a fashion model and later appearing on such shows as 'Dancing On Ice' and 'Celebrity Shock'

These days he probably spends most of his time sat in a darkened room, refusing to answer the door

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Great stuff Ethel. That Leeds game (mainly memorable for that neanderthal Cawley tw@tting Kirkland) you reference was significant for a few obscure Wednesday players.

I remember Bothroyd's contagious lethargy all too well. Ironically, it was probably that Leeds game that summed him up, precisely because he played well - he only bothered to make an effort when the Sky cameras were in and David Moyes was there to watch Ross Barkley, who we had on loan at the time.

Bothroyd's last action in a Wednesday shirt epitomised everything that was awful about us, shanking the ball into Row Z of the kop from about 12 yards out to finish a 4-1 home defeat against Watford - on my fecking birthday :duntmatter:

Incidentally, I'm sure that Paul Corry made his debut in that Leeds game and played fairly well. Was saddened to read that he's had to retire due to a persistent knee injury. As you say we signed him in that summer along with Rhys McCabe, and I remember that the longer Stuart Gray left McCabe out of the team, the more everyone wanted to see him play - the longer it went on, the more convinced we were that he'd be a brilliant player and solve all our midfield problems. 

Naturally, Gray knew that he was absolutely rubbish, McCabe did next to nothing for us except score a brilliant goal against Charlton.

That Leeds game: isn't it also memorable for the Leeds player's superman impression? And the ref's Blunkett impression?

McCabe also scored a cracker on our first visit to the New York stadium in the league cup. Direct from a free kick, I think. We still lost though.

1 hour ago, Tamworthowl said:

That Leeds game: isn't it also memorable for the Leeds player's superman impression? And the ref's Blunkett impression?

McCabe also scored a cracker on our first visit to the New York stadium in the league cup. Direct from a free kick, I think. We still lost though.

Yes, I think the referee that night was Mr S. Wonder

You'd be hard pressed to find a clearer handball than the one he somehow 'missed'

What doesn't make the clip was that waist-high 'tackle' by Michael Brown on Chris O'Grady

Don't know about a straight red, he should've been jailed for assault - pretty sure the ref didn't even award a free kick

1 hour ago, Bulgaria said:

Excellent Thread.

Thanks Ethel.

Ian Cranson?

Another oldie

Pretty sure Wilko broke our transfer record on him back in '88, but I always thought he looked decidely average

Ne' mind though, Ron managed to get our money back a year later by selling him to Stoke

If Wiki can be relied on, he's coaching these days at Staffordshire University (aged 53)

1 hour ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

What about good old Michele di Piedi?

Looked a world beater and scored 3 absolutely outstanding goals for us. 

I still watch them on YouTube occasionally lol

he turned out for just about every lower league club in southern Italy and quite a few obscure ones around Europe .....still playing in serie d for a club called paceco 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, manicowl said:

What's Ryan Lowe up to these days? I loved him. There was a story that I found really sad on here that someone saw him in the club shop with his lads buying Wednesday shirts for them and we sold him a few days later. 

caretaker player / manager at bury I think ......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, torryowl said:

he turned out for just about every lower league club in southern Italy and quite a few obscure ones around Europe .....still playing in serie d for a club called paceco 

You're right, di Piedi could be Italian for 'much travelled'

He was last seen playing in Italy for Mazara Calcio back in 2010 (apparently), since then ...

2012  Lithuania

2014-15  Myanmar

2015-16  Venezuela

2016-17  Gibraltar

and now, aged 37 he turns out for Atletico Arcos in the Portuguese 3rd flight  (7 apps to date)

2 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

You're right, di Piedi could be Italian for 'much travelled'

He was last seen playing in Italy for Mazara Calcio back in 2010 (apparently), since then ...

2012  Lithuania

2014-15  Myanmar

2015-16  Venezuela

2016-17  Gibraltar

and now, aged 37 he turns out for Atletico Arcos in the Portuguese 3rd flight  (7 apps to date)

I think he's left arcos and plays for paceco 1975 who are based in sicily and are bottom of serie d 

12 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I think he's left arcos and plays for paceco 1975 who are based in sicily and are bottom of serie d 

I'm sure you're right

As I've said before, I rely almost exclusively on soccerway.com for up to date info

According to them he's still in Portugal (but their details of the Italian lower leagues are sparse at best)

Fair to say di Piedi is a bit like the Duracel Bunny in those parts  :biggrin: