Liking reading this series (it is one now!).

A few requests of my own:

Reda! Reda! Reda! Johnson

And the legend that was Royston Drenthe.

1 hour ago, swfc-dan said:

Liking reading this series (it is one now!).

A few requests of my own:

Reda! Reda! Reda! Johnson

And the legend that was Royston Drenthe.

Isnt Reda still at Eastleigh?

6 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

Isnt Reda still at Eastleigh?

You're right

He's in his 2nd year there - 7 apps 1 goal to date, compared to 3 goals in 21 last season

He hasn't featured recently so maybe fitness is still an issue with him

I know he has limitations as a player but at 29yr old, I can't help feeling he's playing well below his level

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, swfc-dan said:

And the legend that was Royston Drenthe

An odd one

Hugely talented, I was sorry to see him go - although Milan was never going to stump up the cash we needed to keep him

He finished that season (2014/15) in Turkey

Played the next one in Abu Dhabi and then packed the game in at the age of 29, in order to pursue his interest in rap music

What a smuck!

• Agree 1

Here's one ...

DAVID KASNIK

If that court case 'The Queen v Harry Redknapp's Dog' added fuel to any suspicions surrounding odd-looking transfer deals

Then we'd had a taste of it some months earlier in what might well be described as 'Milan Mandaric v Gary Megson'

Kasnik arrived from Olimpja Ljubljana on a free, a 24yr old CB awaiting international clearance

When asked about his latest recruit, Gazza replied (something like):

"It's Milan's club and he can bring in whoever he likes. Just don't expect me to pick 'em."

There was always something simmering below the surface - Megson clearly didn't see eye to eye with Paul Aldridge and things weren't helped when Mark Beevers was loaned out to a rival club (MK) against the manager's wishes

If Kasnik was brought in as Beevers' replacement then Meggo clearly didn't want him

He had Danny Batth and Rob Jones to be going on with and when back-up was deemed necessary he brought in Miguel Llera

So Kasnik went back the way he came

In fairness to Megson, it's not like he passed up on a player who went on to enjoy a stellar career at some of Europe's bigger clubs, but he's had a career nonetheless, and at 31yr old he's still playing today ...

For NK Rudar Velenje who currently sit 4th in Slovenia's top flight

• Agree 3

This one's for NorfolkNChance ...

BEN SAHAR

Israeli striker, brought in by Brian Laws as an 18yr old loanee back in 2008 (12 apps - 3 goals)

Then like now, he was probably just another youngster to sign for Chelsea, get farmed out on loan a coupla times and then get shipped out

In this case, his time there ended with a £1m move to Spain (Espanyol)

A couple more loans followed - one back home to Israel (Tel Aviv), one to France (Auxerre) and then, then ...

He was picked up on a free by Hertha BSC - managed by none other than our very own Jossie (small world, eh?)

He was there two years but had another loan spell away before winding up in Holland (Willem II)

He'd signed for two years there but was released after one and returned to Israel once again (2015) to play for Hapoel Be'er Sheva

And that's where he is today,  at 28 seemingly enjoying the most successful period of his career

As a regular choice for the national side as well as joint leading scorer for side currently sitting top of the league

Obviously owes an awful lot to Brian Laws then :ph34r: (... and Jos)

• Agree 7

This next one has as much to do with timing as the player in question

More specifically, who's in charge of our next visitors ...

It's back to 2012 again, and the day when what last few grains of respect I might have had for Warnock disappeared forever

As Wednesdayites, we all have to find ways of dealing with disappointment

Some games are spoilt by the officials, some by events on and off the field, some leave a sour taste in the mouth

This one had all of the above and worse, it left me feeling sick to the stomach, but anyway ...

Some games are also synonymous with one player

Stanley Matthews had his 1953 FA Cup final (before my time)

Chris Waddle will always be remembered for dismantling West Ham in 1993

Well for me, this is the only game I'll ever recall ...

JAY BOTHROYD

... with anything other than disdain

I, perhaps like most back then, thought we were onto a winner - wrong!

Mark Hughes had had enough of him at QPR and presumably saw a loan out as a convenient shop window

Dave Jones probably thought he might get him to reproduce the Cardiff form that led to his only England full cap two years earlier - wrong!

What we got was an idle, unmotivated waste of a shirt

A shirt he'd get to wear every single game regardless of form or effectiveness

And to make matters worse, he even had a pop at the fans for reminding him of the fact

Then there was the L**ds game - his one goal in 14 games

A cynic might suggest he turned it on for the cameras, but as performances go it was a total one-off

He returned to QPR (by then under 'Arry Redknapp) and was duly released the following summer

So where is he now?

Well surprisingly, he's not crouched behind a supermarket dumpster somewhere drinking white cider

At 35, he's playing in Japan where he seems to have rediscovered his mojo

Indeed, after QPR he spent a year in Thailand and then joined Jubilo Iwata in the J1 League where he bagged 34 goals in 54 appearances over the next two seasons

Now, he's turning out for Consadole Sapporo (14 games - 10 goals)

I don't know if this is a reflection of the standard of Japanese football, or whether he really has turned things around

But there is no way on earth I'd ever want to see him brought back on loan   :angry:

• Agree 9

Time to chuck another name in, and it's back to that crazy summer of 2012 ...

By my estimation we brought sixteen players in before the end of August that year

Hardly surprising then that the type of momentum you might normally expect after promotion was effectively strangled at birth

So anyway ...

RHYS McCABE

Could be argued that perhaps half a dozen of those new recruits were signed as investments for the future

McCabe, like Paul Corry, might easily have fallen into that category had they not been thrown in at the deep end before either looked good 'n ready

So desperate was Jones to find a winning formula using his 'own' players rather than those he'd inherited from Gary Megson

But I digress ...

Rhys McCabe was considered quite a capture at the time

19yr old, he'd impressed when given a run in the Rangers side earlier that year

Of course, Rangers were going through the process of being re-invented at the time and that meant we were able to pick up one of their brightest prospects for free

... except some legal wrangle ensued which meant we had to fork out an undisclosed fee about four months later

Looking back, moving from Glasgow to Sheffield shouldn't have been such a culture shock for the youngster - just as I'd imagine there'd be more pressure playing for Rangers than playing for Wednesday - but it's fair to say he never really lived up to the promise

Maybe he had problems settling in - after all, he was, apparently, taken in under Gary Madine's protective wing   :mellow:

Either way, it didn't work out

The majority of his 30 league apps (1 goal) came in that first season, virtually none during his 3rd and final season under Stuart Gray

He was duly released when his contract expired and spent the next two seasons playing for Scottish League 1 side Dunfermline Athletic (38 apps - 5 goals) before trying his luck over in the Irish Republic last summer with Sligo Rovers (13 apps - 4 goals)

And that's where he is now, with the 2018 Irish Premier Division season due to start next month

• Agree 4

What better way to commemorate "The Return Of The King" ...

- that's Jose Semedo's first start for Setubal since 3rd December btw (a creditable 1-1 draw at home to Sporting), not his arrival back at S6 on loan or owt :laugh: -

... than to update another ex-Wednesday 'favourite' who also seemed to have disappeared down a black hole

VINCENT SASSO

He was another player to pass up the offer of an extension at Hillsborough in favour of a return to the Primeira Liga

Not sure why a deal with Belenenses would hold more appeal though

More money? Doubt it

Chances of more regular starts? Possibly

Weather, lifestyle? ...

dscn2857-ii.jpg

... I'd say that's a distinct possibility, assuming he'd be content turning out for a mid-table side in front of crowds that rarely exceed 2,500

Well his regular starts had dried up by the end of August - his fourth and last was marked with a red card (against Setubal, coincidentally)

He watched one more game from the bench and then vanished, presumed injured

Bit ironic really as fitness was his main dependable feature during those two seasons spent with us

Anyhow, whatever the problem was he seems to be getting over it

Saturday's 0-0 away at Maritimo marked his 3rd appearance off the bench this month

So, would I take him back on loan?

Not now tbh, given our surprisingly healthy-looking CB options, but back before Christmas? Definitely  :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Loads of time for this thread.

Not trying to steal your thunder Ethel, but  does anyone remember ages ago, there used to be a poster that did something similar. Pretty sure he did an Adam Poric one and Ndumbu-Nsungu and it was pure comedy gold. 

If anyone can remember them they were great 

... and while I'm updating, this is perhaps worth a mention too

After his full senior debut for PAS Giannina last weekend, Franck Betra was back on the bench yesterday

He was brought on after 79mins with his side trailing 1-0 to 4th placed Atromitos and scored what he must've thought was a last-minute winner

Only for his side to concede an injury time equalizer - it finished 2-2 - cruel or what!

He also picked up a yellow card in the 94th minute, frustration I'll bet

8 minutes ago, ramone said:

Not trying to steal your thunder Ethel, but  does anyone remember ages ago, there used to be a poster that did something similar. Pretty sure he did an Adam Poric one and Ndumbu-Nsungu and it was pure comedy gold. 

I'm pretty sure that was US Owl and yes, really funny

Didn't the Ola Tidman one end up on Wiki or something? Claiming he could only play with someone stuffed up the front of his jumper?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, ramone said:

@US_Owl 

Drissa Diallo was one of the best.

Edited by Adem Poric
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, SmokieOwl36-0 said:

What’s Sergiu Bus up to these days?

Playing in Bulgaria this season with Levski Sofia

He's there on the original list but as they're having their winter break he kinda got nudged down a bit  :rolleyes:

• Agree 1

On 16/01/2018 at 18:11, Ethel The Tree said:

You're right

He's in his 2nd year there - 7 apps 1 goal to date, compared to 3 goals in 21 last season

He hasn't featured recently so maybe fitness is still an issue with him

I know he has limitations as a player but at 29yr old, I can't help feeling he's playing well below his level

Reda went to Eastleigh because they were the biggest club offering him a full deal, there were plenty of football league clubs who wanted him but they only wanted to sign him to a pay-as-you-play deal, there's enough money swimming around at Eastleigh that they could afford to take a punt on him. Still love the bloke.

• Thanks 1