Where Are They Now?

8 minutes ago, S1Owl said:

Anthony Gardner 

Another of our Summer '12 arrivals

For all his qualities, his time with us was ultimately wrecked by injury

His second season was a write off - him needing a major achilles op in September - which led to his retirement from the game in 2014

It's was okay though, Stuart Gray had a ready-made replacement lined up ...

Dejan Kelhar

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ethel The Tree said:

Another of our Summer '12 arrivals

For all his qualities, his time with us was ultimately wrecked by injury

His second season was a write off - him needing a major achilles op in September - which led to his retirement from the game in 2014

It's was okay though, Stuart Gray had a ready-made replacement lined up ...

Dejan Kelhar

A case of "Crock Family Trees"?

Q:   So when is a crock not a crock (part one) ?

A:   When it's ...

URBY EMANUELSON

... or should this be Unsolved Mystery (part three) ?

There's so much here we'll simply never get to the bottom of

I'm not about to point the finger and I don't believe everything that's been said or printed on the subject either

But none of it has sat right with me from the moment this guy arrived at S6

History will record that he made 7apps for our U23s, played 18mins as sub in our final league game of the season and spent an awful long time on the treatment table

Some would have us believe he was also one of our highest earners, but I have my doubts

Either way, we couldn't have regarded him as much of an asset, or else he wouldn't have been on a 12 month deal and allowed to leave for free the moment it expired

And he couldn't have been much of a crock either, as he's been ever-present for his new club right from the earliest Europa League qualifier through to the present day

That's Utrecht - currently sitting 6th place in the Dutch Eredivisie

I know he's 31 and his best years are sure to be behind him now, but he is an ex-international (16 caps) and plying his trade in the Dutch top flight - clocking up 25 games in all competitions

So is it too late to bring him back on loan?  :laugh:

2 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

On the topic of oldies though, here's a REAL contender ....

JERMAINE JOHNSON

No-one needs a back story here

25 goals in 230-odd league appearances spread over eight seasons - this guy is a bona fide Wednesday LEGEND

If only for the way he would always produce genuine world class form in the weeks prior to each contract renewal date

We finally parted company in the summer of 2014 and he spent the following season with Indy Eleven in the NAS (10apps - 2goals)

After that it was back home to Jamaica and Tivoli Gardens - the club where it all began for him

Just to while away those last months as a professional footballer?

Not a chance!

Last season not only saw him run up 28 appearances and 16 goals but his sparkling form also earned a recall to the Jamaican national side after an absence of three years

Winning three more caps (I think) and bringing his total up to 73 (12 goals)

For the record, he also picked up 13 yellow cards and one red last season, but then tackling was never a strong point

Now, aged 37, his 10 appearances and 2 goals this season have helped Tivoli Gardens reach 3rd place in the Jamaican NPL

Is it too late to bring him back on loan?     :ph34r: 

Was in the Caribbean over Christmas and was watching a highlights  show for Caribbean football. JJ scored a goal where he took on about 7 players before (and I had to double check) calmly slotted into the net. I think they call him Teddy over their.

BTW Great thread.

Edited by jp1981
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Great thread Ethel!

Can I add:-

Rodri

Shwan Jalal

Lewis Buxton

Shwan Jalal - wow, there's an obscure one - 1 month loan and zero appearances back in November 2006

although he seemed to get a decent run at Bournemouth tbf

Now, aged 34, he's keeping goal for 'runaway' National League leaders Macclesfield Town

As for Rodri - Magic Rat pretty much nailed that one on page 2

And good ol' Lewis - left us for one season at Toytown, spent last season at Bolton and has since fallen off the radar

Guest Copthorneowl

Thanks ETT as ever very good read.  Interesting how Semedo can't now get a game and we have all these injuries with academy players coming into the equation .......and rightly so ...btw but still a shame he's not available to help out.

Q:   So when is a non-crock probably a true crock after all ?

A:   When it's ...

FILIPE MELO

... or, not another goddam mystery (part four)

Rumours abound that Mr C provided the funds to bring this guy in

How much? In the world of undisclosure one guess is as good as the next

But as the 25yr old captain of Primeira Liga side Moreirense we'd be forgiven for thinking he'd be a useful acquisition

He then made 6apps (4 starts) for Stuart Gray's side and that, as they say, was that

He spent the whole of Carlos' first season out injured and the 2nd half of his second season out on loan

That time spent back in Portugal at FC Pacos where, incredibly, he became a regular starter and clocked up a total of 16 appearances

He still had another year on his contract to run and the noises from Hillsborough suggested he was still considered to be of value to the squad

No surprise then to see him released during the summer and promptly return to Portugal to sign up with PL side GD Chaves

My own opinion being that he never looked all that convincing when he was fit, and since that was hardly ever - good riddance etc

Interesting then that aside from one start and 4 apps as sub (the last coming at the end of October) he's disappeared presumed injured yet again

5 hours ago, Magic Rat said:

Thank you for such a thoroughly enjoyable thread Ethel. 

Caused me to look up Rodri who was with us in 2012. Good enough for Barcelona B as a 21 year old and also capped for Spain U21 but spent most of his career on various loans since.

Was briefly contracted to 1860 Munich in the German 2nd division (so maybe bumped into Jos) but now back in Spain in division 2 at Cultural Leonesa.

Still only 27 and clearly possesses talent but has just never fit in anywhere after leaving Sevilla who developed him from youth stage.  He now simply seems to be drifting along in obscurity.

Perhaps left his first club before he was really ready for the big wide world. Bit of a cautionary tale for one of our youngsters at the moment.

To be fair, Barca B have rarely been good, perhaps on a par with Rotherham Bizarre really, as on paper they always look to have plenty of young talent

3 hours ago, Biganchor said:

Looks like Luke Boden is playing for the Tampa Bay Rowdies in the USL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Boden

Talking of the USL, the "legend" that is James O'Connor is now the head coach of Louisville City:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_O'Connor_(footballer,_born_1979)

I saw Luke Boden playing for Orlando City in the MLS a couple of years back. Playing in the same team as Kaka no less!

Okay, this one is for Ronio

I'm sure I wasn't the only one to leap off the settee and punch the air when this one went in  :ghoulguy:

NEJC PECNIK

Of all those Summer '12 arrivals I originally thought this guy was in with a shout of really making a name for himself

But then missing a penalty on your debut isn't the best of starts and although he showed glimpses early on it just never happened, did it

Again, I blame Jones entirely, but 10 league appearances in total and no goals sort of tells it's own story  :sad:

Did better the following season though, scoring 9 goals in 44 games, but that was for Red Star Belgrade

After that he was off to Japan

JEF United Chiba in the J2 League first - 14 goals in 39 games, same season he scored that belter against England - probably helped to get him noticed over there

The following season at Omiya Ardija in the J1 was a less successful time with only 1 goal scored in 21

Next up was Tochigi SC, gaining promotion from J3 along the way (?)

Accurate match details aren't easy to come by, but it seems like he's still there - playing for them in J2 at the age of 32

• Thanks 1