Where Are They Now?

13 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Some players just seem to have vanished off the face of the planet ...

Franck Songo'o is one - last heard of in 2014, playing for the same Greek side Franck Betra is with now

Kamil Zayatte is another - last heard of playing in Saudi for Al Raed, also 2014

Coincidence?

Cue 'X-Files' theme tune

Etienne Esajas the same. Released by Scunny then played for some really random side and not seen since 15/16 

9 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Random 80's & 90's WATN's

Gavin Oliver

Ian Hesford

Steve Whitton

Adem Poric

O Neill Donaldson

Patrick Blondeau

Yeah, but this isn't some kinda stalker thread   :laugh:

I'm not trying to find out which pubs they like or which supermarkets they prefer to visit, and how often

'Where are they now?'

Probably sat at home reading t' paper

No seriously, I was looking for ex-Wednesday players who are STILL PLAYING

Overseas players mostly as we already know where the English-based ones are at and what they're up to

Patrick Blondeau - didn't he take up tightrope walking?

Thank you for such a thoroughly enjoyable thread Ethel. 

Caused me to look up Rodri who was with us in 2012. Good enough for Barcelona B as a 21 year old and also capped for Spain U21 but spent most of his career on various loans since.

Was briefly contracted to 1860 Munich in the German 2nd division (so maybe bumped into Jos) but now back in Spain in division 2 at Cultural Leonesa.

Still only 27 and clearly possesses talent but has just never fit in anywhere after leaving Sevilla who developed him from youth stage.  He now simply seems to be drifting along in obscurity.

Perhaps left his first club before he was really ready for the big wide world. Bit of a cautionary tale for one of our youngsters at the moment.

11 hours ago, Markowski77 said:

enjoyed reading it so far, always interesting to find out what there up to! 

So if your taking requests haha

- Francesco Sanetti 

- Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu

- Pablo Bonvin 

As I suggested above, if we go back too far there's more chance these players would've hung their boots up long ago

Also, 'retirement' isn't always mentioned when summarizing their playing history - that's why I'm leaning towards the alien abduction theory

Pablo Bonvin did retire though - early too, aged 27 - but there's no reason given

-  he returned to Argentina after his brief spell with us ('02) and also played games in Mexico & Ecuador

Ndumbu-Nsungu left us in 2005 and rattled around the lower leagues here for a while, ending up at Darlington in '08 and then ....? pfff!

Sanetti was brought in during Big Ron's 2nd coming '98, but Danny Wilson sent him packing back to Italy the following year

-  he spent the rest of his career rattling around the Italian lower leagues and was last sighted playing for some non-league club there at the grand old age of 38

5 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

Thank you for such a thoroughly enjoyable thread Ethel. 

Caused me to look up Rodri who was with us in 2012. Good enough for Barcelona B as a 21 year old and also capped for Spain U21 but spent most of his career on various loans since.

Was briefly contracted to 1860 Munich in the German 2nd division (so maybe bumped into Jos) but now back in Spain in division 2 at Cultural Leonesa.

Still only 27 and clearly possesses talent but has just never fit in anywhere after leaving Sevilla who developed him from youth stage.  He now simply seems to be drifting along in obscurity.

Perhaps left his first club before he was really ready for the big wide world. Bit of a cautionary tale for one of our youngsters at the moment.

Thanks

Rodri was on my original list but you've spared me the trouble

He was part of that bizarre recruitment drive in the summer of 2012 - so much material there!

He strikes me as one of those players who earns a living from the game, flitting from club to club without ever leaving their mark

11 hours ago, toppOwl said:

Bartosz Slusarski (I think) 

Almost qualifies, I guess

He's 36 now and after that short (but relatively successful) loan spell with us back in '08 he returned to Poland and carved out a decent career for himself

Most notably perhaps at Lech Poznan (65apps - 15goals)

Last entry has him playing for 1 Liga side Miedz Legnica in 2015/16 (18apps - 2goals) and it's anyone's guess after that ...

1 hour ago, NorfolkNChance said:

Etienne Esajas the same. Released by Scunny then played for some really random side and not seen since 15/16 

... described as a free agent

Bit like Modou Sougou

That really random side you mention was Dayton Dutch Lions in the American PDL

Details are non-existant, other than that being 2015/16 season an' all

He's 33 now, so maybe he still has enough to get a game somewhere

On the topic of oldies though, here's a REAL contender ....

JERMAINE JOHNSON

No-one needs a back story here

25 goals in 230-odd league appearances spread over eight seasons - this guy is a bona fide Wednesday LEGEND

If only for the way he would always produce genuine world class form in the weeks prior to each contract renewal date

We finally parted company in the summer of 2014 and he spent the following season with Indy Eleven in the NAS (10apps - 2goals)

After that it was back home to Jamaica and Tivoli Gardens - the club where it all began for him

Just to while away those last months as a professional footballer?

Not a chance!

Last season not only saw him run up 28 appearances and 16 goals but his sparkling form also earned a recall to the Jamaican national side after an absence of three years

Winning three more caps (I think) and bringing his total up to 73 (12 goals)

For the record, he also picked up 13 yellow cards and one red last season, but then tackling was never a strong point

Now, aged 37, his 10 appearances and 2 goals this season have helped Tivoli Gardens reach 3rd place in the Jamaican NPL

Is it too late to bring him back on loan?     :ph34r: