Technology in Football

Guest RocketOwl

Guest RocketOwl

When we saw video replay used recently in the league cup it was met with mixed reviews. 

One change I have always wanted is a countdown introduced for when the ball goes out of play. We have all almost lost the plot when at Hillsborough we are 1-0 down and the opposition start taking ages with goal kicks and throw ins. If there was a 10 second countdown for teams to restart play, I think this takes time wasting out of the game once and for all?

Just need an independent time keeper who stops the clock whenever the ball is out of play. Take as long as you want with goal kicks, substitutions; the clock won't start until the ball is back in play.

Tbf, this was recently suggested by the FIFA rules panel thingy. But with each half reduced to exactly 30 minutes of "ball in play" time.

Guest RocketOwl
4 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Just need an independent time keeper who stops the clock whenever the ball is out of play. Take as long as you want with goal kicks, substitutions; the clock won't start until the ball is back in play.

Tbf, this was recently suggested by the FIFA rules panel thingy. But with each half reduced to exactly 30 minutes of "ball in play" time.

The current injury time rule just doesn't work. When teams time waste in injury time it still works.

Its time refs were a lot better at stamping down on time wasting. 

16 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

When we saw video replay used recently in the league cup it was met with mixed reviews. 

One change I have always wanted is a countdown introduced for when the ball goes out of play. We have all almost lost the plot when at Hillsborough we are 1-0 down and the opposition start taking ages with goal kicks and throw ins. If there was a 10 second countdown for teams to restart play, I think this takes time wasting out of the game once and for all?

Westwood would be screwed.

I seem to remember when sky first started broadcasting, one of the stats they rolled out at full time was how long the ball had been in play - from memory it was always very low. 

As this wasn't in line with the new, exciting premier league product  they were trying to flog I don't think it lasted long.

Or it could be my memory failing me. I do binge drink quite a lot.

Edited by supersiggi
  • Like 1

Guest RocketOwl
Just now, supersiggi said:

I seem to remember when sky first started broadcasting, one if the stats they rolled out at full time was how long the ball had been in play - from memory it was always very low. 

As this wasn't in line with the new, exciting premier league product  were trying to flog I don't think it lasted long.

Westwood would be screwed but I think we would all be happier not watching him take 2 minutes at every kick. 

6 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

The current injury time rule just doesn't work. When teams time waste in injury time it still works.

Its time refs were a lot better at stamping down on time wasting. 

Of course it doesn't work. That why FIFA are considering (well talking about) the change. Something I agree with (except make it 35 mins each way).

In the mean time, you're right, refs should clamp down more. But be consistent about it.

9 minutes ago, supersiggi said:

I seem to remember when sky first started broadcasting, one of the stats they rolled out at full time was how long the ball had been in play - from memory it was always very low. 

As this wasn't in line with the new, exciting premier league product  they were trying to flog I don't think it lasted long.

I remember it being typically in the range 60-70 minutes.

22 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

Have a separate time keeper any play not restarting after a set time the clock stops. Stops for goal celebrations, injuries, substitutions...goal celebrations/subs you have 30 secs then the game restarts.

This thing about celebrations.. I understood that if your team is ready to kick off then the game continues..

I could be wrong.

FFS.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

And 4 lasers in each section of the ground, keep firing bursts after an allotted time, it makes men impotent, eventually.

I was in a Tank Regiment, and the laser could knock birds out of trees, good stuff.

PS. didn't kill the birds, or the ground squirrel's.

5 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

This thing about celebrations.. I understood that if your team is ready to kick off then the game continues..

I could be wrong.

FFS.

I'm sure that has actually happened Costello ..

Maybe not in this country but a team went and scored whilst other team were 

Bumming each other near a corner flag?

Guest RocketOwl
14 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I could be wrong.

FFS.

Then you'd be wrong as usual.

FS

Keep technology out of football, goal line technology is fine because it can be cleared up in a second, but VAR is going to be controversial as a lot of decisions are down to opinion anyway. Plus what happens when a goal is scored in the last minute of the game, but the other team calls a VAR, just ruins all the emotion.

Im not big on technology but i think it either needs to come in - balls deep

Or we keep it out and just carry on

I think it was f*cking outrageous that some FA cup ties had VAR while the vast majority didn't - wtf is that all about

Our football authorities could barely do things any more incompetently

Absolute charlatans

If games were timed only on action they would last 3 hours. It’s strange but home teams only winge about the away team wasting time when they don’t win. That’s football the away teams generally sit back, waste time and try nick a 1-0 win. Be careful you’ll sound like Wilder after they lost to Norwich, stripped down he said it’s not fair, they didn’t let us win. 

On the video ref, surely it would be better to give captains three challenges similar to cricket and tennis.