League Finishing Position

God you lot make me laugh. A 0-0 draw away at a side that's won once in 9 games I think, and there are people talking about play offs. Possibly the same people who were talking about relegation a week ago. My words fail me.  Mid table if we'd kept carvalhal. Mid table with jos. Hope you're right though. 

1 hour ago, optimisticowl said:

I’m going for 52 points, wherever position that ends the team in is anyone’s guess, mine is high bottom half, next season is going to be very interesting though.

Maybe you should change nickname to realisticowl? ;)

I agree with your opinion though.

I'll probably get slaughtered for this but I think we need to all take a huge reality check.

Firstly we are on an appalling run and are only 7 points off the relegation places. Whilst I like everything I've seen and heard from Jos so far, he basically had a free shot at an open goal on Friday night. We were out and out underdogs, nobody expected anything so a point was a huge bonus. Bear in mind however that the 3 points against Forest was huge bonus and look what came next.

The real work for Jos starts now and I'll be very interested to see how we fare over the remaining games in January, what he does in terms of:

1. Setting up the team
  2. Tactics
  3. Ability to change tactics when it's not going well
  4. Motivation of players (for a Derby that's easy or at least should be)
  5. Breaking in the youngsters
  6. Transfers and signings
  7. Returns from injury

If he can get 75% of that right, then anything can happen, even a late charge at the play-offs given how crazy this league is. If however he gets it wrong or the injury situation deteriorates and the poor form continues, we could easily be looking at relegation.

Realistically I think we'll finish about where we are now, but expect great things next season when he has had a chance to really stamp his authority on things.

8 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

I'll probably get slaughtered for this but I think we need to all take a huge reality check.

Firstly we are on an appalling run and are only 7 points off the relegation places. Whilst I like everything I've seen and heard from Jos so far, he basically had a free shot at an open goal on Friday night. We were out and out underdogs, nobody expected anything so a point was a huge bonus. Bear in mind however that the 3 points against Forest was huge bonus and look what came next.

The real work for Jos starts now and I'll be very interested to see how we fare over the remaining games in January, what he does in terms of:

1. Setting up the team
  2. Tactics
  3. Ability to change tactics when it's not going well
  4. Motivation of players (for a Derby that's easy or at least should be)
  5. Breaking in the youngsters
  6. Transfers and signings
  7. Returns from injury

If he can get 75% of that right, then anything can happen, even a late charge at the play-offs given how crazy this league is. If however he gets it wrong or the injury situation deteriorates and the poor form continues, we could easily be looking at relegation.

Realistically I think we'll finish about where we are now, but expect great things next season when he has had a chance to really stamp his authority on things.

I won't slaughter you at all for that, perfectly reasoned post.

I'm slightly more optimistic and feel our results will improve a little and we'll finish about 12th. 

I agree, at this stage though it's purely a case of securing the points required to make sure we stay in the division and then starting to build for better things next season.

I think this could be the start of better things, but feel it will be a long road, rather than an exhilarating turn around.

I'd be over the moon to be proved wrong.

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

I'd take finishing 12th-15th, if it means Luhukay fully assesses the squad, and knows exactly whats required to go on and storm the league next season.

Agree with this, I think realistically the best we can hope for is 13th now. Unless we do something special in the transfer window this month to get us in the top half.  But staying In the league as soon as possible and then being able to think about next season is what I’m hoping for 

4 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

I won't slaughter you at all for that, perfectly reasoned post.

I'm slightly more optimistic and feel our results will improve a little and we'll finish about 12th. 

I agree, at this stage though it's purely a case of securing the points required to make sure we stay in the division and then starting to build for better things next season.

I think this could be the start of better things, but feel it will be a long road, rather than an exhilarating turn around.

I'd be over the moon to be proved wrong.

Don't get me wrong, if we go the rest of the month unbeaten with clear signs of improvement based on the criteria outlined above then I'll be checking play-off dates and plane tickets, hotels etc like a good 'un! Just want a few more games to gauge the general direction of travel first!

love all this optimism where we will finish , but we need to be realistic we have 11-12 players out and few are likely to come back anytime soon , we aint scored in 385 mins , 1 win in 12 , and with all players out injured little chance to do much during window as we would have to sell before we could bring anyone in ,barring maybe couple of cheapish loans. we are 7pts off bottom 3 and on paper and on form we will be skirting with bottom 3 by april . but on other hand I can see a total transformation in a lot of players who played fri night if they play to them levels for rest of season we will be fine , we need crowd to be like fri night till end of season and back the players ,carlos has thankfully gone and jos will clean up his rubbish and mistakes but he will need time.

Don't think for a minute we'll make top 6 this season, but a top half (maybe even top 10) finish is realistic imo.

Positives from Friday for me include

1. we looked far more organised than we have for a long time.

2. we not only coped well when going a man down, but nearly even nicked it at the end.

3. the willingness to bring Clare on in the derby, points to possibly blooding more young uns in the near future.

Extra training sessions can only be a positive, and as soon as the first teamers start returning from injury I believe we will only be going in one direction, and it ain't down.