Biggest thing- Aggression

Even during Carlos’ successful periods, we were nicey nicey. Relied on Hutch to put a foot in because nobody else in the squad was willing. 

Most noticeable thing for me tonight was players who are normally quite reserved (Jones, Reach, Palmer, Fox, Joao etc) all flying into 50/50s and battling away. 

Made the middle of the park an absolute battleground which is how it needed to be. Far cry from that Burton lad wondering through the middle of our midfield and defence at jogging pace in our own back yard only a couple of weeks ago. 

Need that every week if we’re going anywhere. Regardless of who the CEO is, who plays, how many we have injured blah blah blah...that should be an absolute minimum. And they were great today, to a man. Rolled up their sleeves and piled in to every challenge. 

I can remember 3-4 crunching tackles just off the top of my head, which is probably more than we’ve put in over the past 3 months combined. 

Need to keep it going. Easier to do it in a derby game with a new boss to impress but that approach applied to every game will get us moving up the table. 

Edited by TheBoyBeevers
  • Like 1

I have questioned this teams application for some time now, we were very soft under CC.

Not today, that was the biggest improvement for me today.

Jos definately understands a derby, the players were well up for it.

Loovens 2 yellows were a bit daft though because the player was going away from goal.

so different tonight the team looked well up for it and battled away superbly only set back for me is reach's goal effort not going in , a foot either way and we would have won , that said I battling draw and I will accept that any day 

Read a post shortly before the game berating jones saying he couldn’t / wouldn’t tackle. 

Within 5 minutes he’d already put in 2/3 solid tackles and thought straight away that this is a new era! Let’s hope that fire stays lit and it wasn’t just for the Derby! 

Was a pleasure to behold at times.

Great to see Wallace back to being a petulant menace too. I love that Wallace.

Even my mate, who is a Leeds fan (no judgment please) said you have to love players like Wallace who stir up the opposition because the opposing team and fans hate them.

1 minute ago, Paul Triplo said:

Even my mate, who is a Leeds fan (no judgment please) said you have to love players like Wallace who stir up the opposition because the opposing team and fans hate them.

Wallace is great in those big games. 

Got a great character in a battle that lad. 

1 minute ago, Paul Triplo said:

You need them eh. Wallace is at his best when he’s playing on the edge. Silly tackle that he should have seen red for, but aside from that he set the tone. 

Pigs hated him, and that’s a sign he was really getting under the skin of both their players and their fans. 

Amusing seeing him squaring up to Donaldson. When Wallace is on it, I think he could start a fight whilst locked in a room on his own. 

• Haha 3

The fact is was as Derby certainly helped with some of the tackles. I get the impression that's how he likes his teams to play which is good. You can't necessarily fault players who put in such a shift and had as much desire as they did. With more time on the training pitch the players he chooses will understand what's required relevant to the system he chooses.

I agree the difference was there to see JOs clearly got some organisation in 

However I actually think those players did it for their own pride too 

That level of performance is all I ever ask for personally   

even if the scummers had fluked one in last few minutes I still would have been pleased with the effort and performance 

brown on tv having to concede our moral victory was sweet too 

5 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

As each week passes, it becomes clearer and clearer how much Carlos was holding us back.

Tactically, motivationally, and fitness wise. He was a weight around our necks. Anything we achieved was despite of him.

I get the feeling that unlike CC,s team which would put in a totally inept performance in the next game after this,JL will not tolerate that attitude.

Well done to the lads.

More of the same please.

Is the OP one of those who tear up advertising boards at away matches?

proper fan ,  cough.

5 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

As each week passes, it becomes clearer and clearer how much Carlos was holding us back.

Tactically, motivationally, and fitness wise. He was a weight around our necks. Anything we achieved was despite of him.

100% agree  Im still very frustrated with DC for not doing is job months earlier. I am looking forward to watching a team with grit and determination  which is in my eyes british football  and greman football not watching the tippy tappy  Portuguese crap

• Haha 1

Just now, pressy said:

100% agree  Im still very frustrated with DC for not doing is job months earlier. I am looking forward to watching a team with grit and determination  which is in my eyes british football  and german football not watching the tippy tappy  Portuguese crap

it can be breathtaking but our version was aimless, boring and as you say crap

I firmly believe DC has been shafted left right and centre not least by his friendship and loyalty to CC 

17 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

You'll probably get slated for that by some, but what you've said rings true.

Hopefully we can concentrate on moving forward under this new manager now and fix what problems that have been left.

27 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

You'll probably get slated for that by some, but what you've said rings true.

Hopefully we can concentrate on moving forward under this new manager now and fix what problems that have been left.

I got slated for 2 years for it. All part of the Owlstalk fun.

If we all agreed all of the time, this forum wouldn't be the best.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

I got slated for 2 years for it. All part of the Owlstalk fun.

If we all agreed all of the time, this forum wouldn't be the best.

I've been critical of him since the Rotherham match, hoped he'd come good but after Huddersfield he had to go. I wasn't as vocal as some because I can't be arsed to get bitched and moaned at on a forum lol

People just jump on you the moment you give constructive criticism. It's like you're slagging off their mrs.

• Haha 1

For me there are two things at work here,

1) The Pep philosophy that after 2-3 years things go stale no matter what level you are at, the players need refreshing or the manager needs replacing. 

2) Because of the above Carlos over coached and when players started to get injured, he couldn’t motivate our squad players.

Jos has come in and the players have responded, giving youth a chance albeit a few minutes, gives everyone a lift.

I think our level of performance will increase, week on week. Football isn’t rocket science despite how over complicated Carlos tried to make it.

The right aggression, application alongside technically better players than over half this division will see us win more than we lose.