Positives vs Negatives

Well that was a pleasant surprise. Plenty of positives against not so many negatives.

Things that pleased me most was the speed of passing in our defensive third, getting into the midfield. Our compactness when the Blades had possession and our hunting down of the opposition. Things that have been lacking since season one under Carlos. Yes we weren't as potent in the final third but on the counter attack we looked a threat.

Players who stood out for me were Wildsmith, Venancio, Pudil, Wallace, Reach and Joao (first half). Jones looked a different player too so that's also a positive. The spirit and desire was obvious to see and you could see the players were lifted again after the dismissal.

Now onto the manager. I like how he conducts himself on the touchline and you can see he's a quiet disciplinarian. I don't think that formation is what he will use going forwards but he probably did it to mirror what the Blades were doing and it worked a treat! Considering how long he's had with the players that was more than most would have expected.

Only real negative was Loovens and that silly second yellow. For a player of his experience, shadowing a player down the channel he should have at least stayed on his feet. If we did continue to play three at the back I think I'd rather see Hutchinson there when fit.

Oh and I proper dislike Baldock!

Edited by MuddyFunkster

Jones was a standout for me, just because he's not been stifled by instructions.  Lots of tackles and harrying int he oppositions half, whereas previousl;y, he'd obviouslt been told to stay back. 

Wallace showed glimpses of old...which gives me a bit of hope. 

I can't see us setting up with a 3-5-2 every week though, not once we get players back.  Will be interesting to see what JL does.  All in all, a relief of a night, that has me loking forward with positivity.  :)

Keeper - excellent

Defence - top notch - calm and measured for the most part but threw everything at it when necessary

Don't really think there were anything to call negatives but we weren't progressively creative for the most part - i think taking Wallace off at that time was risky and did cause a momentum shift - but we were easily deserving of a point

1 minute ago, WayneTheOwl said:

Watch the Loovens sending off again, very harsh, he actually stumbled into the lad, his knee may havr caught him but a yellow card ? No way. Saying that he is far too slow unfortunately.

I actually thought Loovens pulled back from making a tackle because he realised he couldn't get to the ball

Very harsh for a 2nd yellow imo

Just now, scram said:

I actually thought Loovens pulled back from making a tackle because he realised he couldn't get to the ball

His studs seemed to stick on the surface rather than slide.

I think the only negative tonight is that is 4 games without a goal. Otherwise that was a disciplined and organised team display full of effort and commitment. We do need to address the attacking side of our game though because goals win games and I’m sure Jos is more than aware of it.

Edited by swfc1983

2 minutes ago, scram said:

I disagree. I actually thought loovens got his studs caught in the turf which caused him to collide with the Utd player. Never a booking.

3 minutes ago, mike312 said:

His studs seemed to stick on the surface rather than slide.

8 minutes ago, WayneTheOwl said:

Watch the Loovens sending off again, very harsh, he actually stumbled into the lad, his knee may havr caught him but a yellow card ? No way. Saying that he is far too slow unfortunately.

Agree with you both

Crap ref

Positives-

Wildsmith- Turning into first choice keeps even when westwood is fit.

Pudil is excellent in that left of three position.

Venancio- Didn't put a foot wrong apart from the yellow but he knew he had to make that chanllenge

Palmer- also excellent as a wing back. I really like Palmer. Always available. 

Jones- very organised professional job

Joao- Looked class at times but he needs to link up with Rhodes better.

Wallace really put a shift in. One of his best performances this season.

Reach was me consistent and so close with that volley

Clare getting on the pitch to make his debut in a derby. Congrats to him. hopefully more to come.

Fox coped ell down that side which was where all their possession went to. Don't underestimate the job he did tonight.

Negatives-

Loovens sending off. No need. But he does get shown up for pace.

Rhodes. Just not happening for him unfortunately. Hopefully Jos finds a way to make it work.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

I think the only negative tonight is that is 4 games without a goal. Otherwise that was a disciplined and organised team display full of effort and commitment. We do need to address the attacking side of our game though because goals win games and I’m sure Jos is more than aware of it.

He said earlier in the week that we have forgotten to score goals.

I have to say that taking 5 days to transform a side that looked like a bunch of amateurs vs Burton into a cohesive disciplined and energetic unit even with 10 men is far more than we could have hoped for.

Outstanding transformation by JL and his assistant.

15 minutes ago, scram said:

Keeper - excellent

Defence - top notch - calm and measured for the most part but threw everything at it when necessary

Don't really think there were anything to call negatives but we weren't progressively creative for the most part - i think taking Wallace off at that time was risky and did cause a momentum shift - but we were easily deserving of a point

In injury time?

13 minutes ago, WayneTheOwl said:

Loovens is a master of pretend stumbling.. Stumbling borne out of being too slow and past it.. The last good syncrometic move he made was his post play off semi final dance jig... His timing and co-ordination have now deserted him.! 

13 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

We had more shots than them and we had 10 men for a third of the match. He gave us a solid foundation tonight when it looked virtually impossible for us to get a clean sheet at this level the way we defended against Burton. As you say I'm sure he will be looking to address the goals for situation as well.

15 minutes ago, Bodhidharma said:

Positives-

Wildsmith- Turning into first choice keeps even when westwood is fit.

Pudil is excellent in that left of three position.

Venancio- Didn't put a foot wrong apart from the yellow but he knew he had to make that chanllenge

Palmer- also excellent as a wing back. I really like Palmer. Always available. 

Jones- very organised professional job

Joao- Looked class at times but he needs to link up with Rhodes better.

Wallace really put a shift in. One of his best performances this season.

Reach was me consistent and so close with that volley

Clare getting on the pitch to make his debut in a derby. Congrats to him. hopefully more to come.

Fox coped ell down that side which was where all their possession went to. Don't underestimate the job he did tonight.

Negatives-

Loovens sending off. No need. But he does get shown up for pace.

Rhodes. Just not happening for him unfortunately. Hopefully Jos finds a way to make it work.

Good assessment.  Not bad for a second team!  Wildsmith, a local lad, is looking the real deal - we need to stick with him regardless of Westwood's fitness.  Loovens has been a quality player but is slow and looking past his best.  We can't afford any more sendings off!  Rhodes hasn't cut it all season, we need to say goodbye.  Thought Big Dave shook em up at bit at the right time, great sub.  

The biggest positive of course was the tactical master stroke by our manger!

4 days with new manager, same players totally different team !! Unrecognisable from team that played burton. JL deffo had the impact we hoped for. I don't think considering injuries etc we could have seen a bigger and better change in attitude and performance in such a short period of time that the new management has had. With a better ref and a bit of luck we could have won it and although a draw probably a fair result, if we had sneaked a win by a goal united could hardly say they were hard done by. 10 men battled royal. Wallace had some bite and Jones made some forward passes. Wildsmith continues to fight for the no.1 spot and has been our most consistent player since Westwood injury. We need a quick centre half even more so with Lees and Van aken out but neither is pacy. We also need some pace up front or wide to possibly bring Rhodes into goal scoring more regular again. Not getting carried away too much but swfc has hopefully started to come through a period of much needed change and so far the future is looking much brighter than we could imagine a few weeks ago.