Jordan Rhodes..

Just now, matthefish2002 said:

Think the supporters been quite kind to Rhodes overall.

Heard loads of times that people felt sorry for him as we have brought a player that doesn't suit Wednesday style.

His confidence looks very low at the moment.
But weather his fault or not you don't buy a player for that money and wait for him to come good you buy with expectation he will hit the ground running.

Thumbs down for this signing.

I don't disagree with any of the above, but Rhodes isn't to blame for the fact we splashed mad money on him when we had other positions in much greater need of improvement.

He's here now, and he deserves a chance to prove himself under the new gaffer.

Incidentally, I don't believe 90% of our players suited the style of football Carlos was trying to employ - and none of them seem especially enamoured with his fitness regimen.

5 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Ha ha, but that's not the Bundesliga.

Whenever I've seen German football it's looked physical, and German players are large in the main.

The type of football you describe is more akin to that played by the Dutch.

Its a lot freaking closer than sat at home watching on the box.

You’re also disregarding that fact that there are many players from the 2. Bundesliga who end up there, and that the youth teams of many Bundesliga teams compete against teams from this level

Plus you’re massively contradicting yourself. One on hand you’re saying there’s a German style, on the other hand your saying football at a certain level in Germany isn’t close to German football. Can’t have it both ways.

Countries often clear, cultural and historical identities when it comes to philosophy. Ones that often are reinforced through coaching education. For example, 442 is soooo common in England, it’s the basis of formations, not in Germany.

But never mind because German players look large to you (ooh er missus)...let’s go with that

Edited by McRightSide

2 hours ago, adifferentgame said:

Okay. So assuming you're talking about the Reach to Joao to Wallace chance, there's nothing wrong with Rhodes movement here either. He's ghosting on the ball-side shoulder of the defender, in between the sticks and in a pocket of space.

He might not be sprinting like a madman, but just because he's not busting a gut doesn't mean his movement is wrong.

Its not the speed at which he’s running - I just think he is in a position where he is unlikely to receive / get on the end of the ball.

we can talk about individual examples but his performances say it all really - he’s not bothering the oppositions keeper anywhere near enough and that can’t be all down to his team mates.

Edited by ka58

5 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

If he comes good, I will hold my hand up and believe me I want him to come good because it will benefit the team.

However, he has been dreadful so far. He

has given the team nothing and only given his previous reputation and goal record a number of years ago has given him some time with some of our fans.  Huge improvement is needed but given what I’ve seen, Im not holding much hope.

I hope he can turn it around but really cant see how unless its handed on a plate to him he doesnt score

Guest RocketOwl
23 minutes ago, dan1980 said:

I hope he can turn it around but really cant see how unless its handed on a plate to him he doesnt score

Even when it's handed on a plate he's missing.

45 minutes ago, ka58 said:

Its not the speed at which he’s running - I just think he is in a position where he is unlikely to receive / get on the end of the ball.

we can talk about individual examples but his performances say it all really - he’s not bothering the oppositions keeper anywhere near enough and that can’t be all down to his team mates.

But we'd still be talking about his time under Carlos.

I don't think we'll be able to fairly assess JR until Jos has had time to work with him. Hopefully he can help him turn things around.

We could compare his stats with other strikers in the division - for example, he'd had half as many attempts on goal than Leon Clarke up until the point Carlos made his exit and around 40% of his goals tally - as well as analysing where on the pitch he's shooting from, but it's how he fares between now and the end of the season that matters most.

10 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Exactly. People see the stats and not the overall player.

I remember having a chat with my young nephew a decade or so ago.

"We should get that Booth from Huddersfield Uncle Snoots, he's got 18 goals in the league"

"He's flat footed, turns like a coach, runs through his heel and will have bad knees within five years, and most of all he's a target man in a route one Warnock side. He's nowhere near the standard required"

"But he's got 18 goals!"

"So's David Reeves and we dont want him back."

It's always been this way. Most of the people who reckon they are judging a striker based on his performance are often doing it largely on a set of numbers on a page without context or logic. Poor players often get away with it if they score a few goals, good ones can get slated even when playing well if they don't.

7 minutes ago, swfc4_sufc0 said:

I just wish so many of our fans didn't sound so triumphant about the fact that our top signing (before taking inflation into account) is having a bad time.

:ghoulguy:

No triumpancy here pal ..

I hate seeing wasted talent and money .

My wish is Kommandant Jos can sort this out and work everyone into the Wednesday Jigsaw 

:luhukay:

12 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

No triumpancy here pal ..

I hate seeing wasted talent and money .

My wish is Kommandant Jos can sort this out and work everyone into the Wednesday Jigsaw 

:luhukay:

It's triumphalism....btw..did you know that the site information section is where the cool cats hang these days?

Heard a rumour bif byfolddoors goes on there.

FFS 2018©

2 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

It's triumphalism....btw..did you know that the site information section is where the cool cats hang these days?

Heard a rumour bif byfolddoors goes on there.

FFS 2018©

I thought triumphalism was the proud displaying of the manhood ?.

Triumpancy ? 

I sort of made that up ...

But thought it sounded good ....

FFS......

It’s definitely a confidence issue with Jordan Rhodes. 

Players don’t lose their talent (unless their legs have gone), but they can lose confidence in their own ability. 

His problem isn’t with his feet, I’m sure that the problem is in his head.

His past stats say it all - he was a prolific goal scorer as we all know. On the strength of his goal scoring abilities remember all the speculation regarding us signing him that went on for a couple of years - we have to sign Jordan Rhodes ! 

Unfortunately I think his career has been mishandled over the last couple of years - by Karanka at Middlesborough and by Carlos with us. Carlos seemed quite adept at ‘leaching’ the skill out of certain players. 

He was ‘bench-warming’ a lot of the time at Middlesborough and not given a regular place in our team by Carlos. We have rarely played to his strengths because we don’t play with, or indeed haven’t got, orthodox wingers who should (in my opinion) have white paint on the soles of their boots as they get to the byline to get the crosses over to the strikers instead of cutting inside and trying to walk the ball in to the box. I may be old-fashioned, but I do think, particularly in the Championship, this direct approach is the key to success rather than the tippy-tappy approach.  

How often have we seen all our strikers with their backs to the goal having to come back to gather the ball ? Our proven goal scorers ( Rhodes, Hooper and sadly, Winnall ) should be in or around the box waiting for the service they need to score the goals. 

I know some will say that Rhodes has missed goal scoring chances, he is slow, doesn’t show commitment etc., but I’m convinced that this is a self-confidence issue. 

Under Jos’s leadership I do think that he should be given the time, and necessary motivation, to try to regain his form and fitness and hopefully get back to scoring goals again. 

I like what I hear from Jos regarding the encouragement of players - we will have to see.

WAWAW ?

7 hours ago, snufkin123 said:

It’s definitely a confidence issue with Jordan Rhodes. 

Players don’t lose their talent (unless their legs have gone), but they can lose confidence in their own ability. 

His problem isn’t with his feet, I’m sure that the problem is in his head.

His past stats say it all - he was a prolific goal scorer as we all know. On the strength of his goal scoring abilities remember all the speculation regarding us signing him that went on for a couple of years - we have to sign Jordan Rhodes ! 

Unfortunately I think his career has been mishandled over the last couple of years - by Karanka at Middlesborough and by Carlos with us. Carlos seemed quite adept at ‘leaching’ the skill out of certain players. 

He was ‘bench-warming’ a lot of the time at Middlesborough and not given a regular place in our team by Carlos. We have rarely played to his strengths because we don’t play with, or indeed haven’t got, orthodox wingers who should (in my opinion) have white paint on the soles of their boots as they get to the byline to get the crosses over to the strikers instead of cutting inside and trying to walk the ball in to the box. I may be old-fashioned, but I do think, particularly in the Championship, this direct approach is the key to success rather than the tippy-tappy approach.  

How often have we seen all our strikers with their backs to the goal having to come back to gather the ball ? Our proven goal scorers ( Rhodes, Hooper and sadly, Winnall ) should be in or around the box waiting for the service they need to score the goals. 

I know some will say that Rhodes has missed goal scoring chances, he is slow, doesn’t show commitment etc., but I’m convinced that this is a self-confidence issue. 

Under Jos’s leadership I do think that he should be given the time, and necessary motivation, to try to regain his form and fitness and hopefully get back to scoring goals again. 

I like what I hear from Jos regarding the encouragement of players - we will have to see.

WAWAW ?

torres, lost it big time